Kihon Kumite

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
shep

Re: Kihon Kumite

Post by shep »

Nice work by both - thanks for the link

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

Great Google translation = "Base pairs and leave town Arakawa Kazumichi"
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
FireFist

Post by FireFist »

I apologize for going off topic here, but the Google translation is even worse in Swedish... It says something like "Basic form of hand- and Road & Arakawa-Austrian town". Austria / Österreich in Swedish is "East Country" or "East Realm"... maybe it is a possible, literal translation. Sounds funny anyway :)
/Robin Ohlsson
Säffle Karateklubb, Sweden
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

Gusei21 wrote:Acer,

There is only one Suzuki Sensei.
His kata is hard to imitate because he looks so strong yet he was truly strong.
And most people when they try to look strong they end up being weak because trying to be strong creates excess tension and tension makes you slow and weak.

We are all works in progress. As long as those two in the video are better than you then you should be able to learn from it instead of critisizing it.
It is next to impossible trying to imitate Suzuki so the rest of us should try to pick something that is easier to bite off no?
I totally disagree with that. Suzuki was not only a great artist but a great teacher. (Kono Sakagami, etc.) When I first got on his training kata, as if I was full force. What then can be said about those who studied with him for many years.

Incidentally, the gi is just disgusting.)))
Aslan Datiev
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Aslan wrote:
I totally disagree with that. Suzuki was not only a great artist but a great teacher. (Kono Sakagami, etc.) When I first got on his training kata, as if I was full force. What then can be said about those who studied with him for many years.

Asian,

You totally misunderstood me. I have many great karate friends who are long time students of Suzuki Sensei.
Perhaps it was my fault for not being more clear. You can't put Kono and Sakagami in the same league as Suzuki Sensei but that is another story.
I was talking about trying to copy him from afar as in video or other media because I was guessing that even though Acer admired Suzuki he was not from Suzuki's stable because people from Suzuki's stable would not share his opinion. Forget Suzuki. My teacher is just as bad if not worse.
You can't learn by watching a video of Takagi Sensei. It will only make your technique sloppy and wild because he is too fast. It will set your Wado back by years and give you all sorts of bad habits. It is better to try to learn by watching someone like Shiomitsu Sensei who is clean and approachable or Arakawa Sensei. (via video). Of course the best way is to actually join their dojo and train under them. That is the best. Learning from video means there is no one around to correct you. So if you want to learn from Suzuki Sensei then the best way was to go train with him directly so he could fix you. Just trying to copy him from afar....will only hold you back. Substitute Suzuki for Takagi. Same difference.
Your karate will become a mess if you try to copy what Takagi Sensei does unless he is there in front of you to mold and guide you. My opinion of course based upon my experience of trying to clean up various students over the years.
Bob Nash
acer

Post by acer »

Gusei21 wrote:
Aslan wrote:

Asian,

You totally misunderstood me. I have many great karate friends who are long time students of Suzuki Sensei.
Perhaps it was my fault for not being more clear. You can't put Kono and Sakagami in the same league as Suzuki Sensei but that is another story.
I was talking about trying to copy him from afar as in video or other media because I was guessing that even though Acer admired Suzuki he was not from Suzuki's stable because people from Suzuki's stable would not share his opinion. Forget Suzuki. My teacher is just as bad if not worse.
You can't learn by watching a video of Takagi Sensei. It will only make your technique sloppy and wild because he is too fast. It will set your Wado back by years and give you all sorts of bad habits. It is better to try to learn by watching someone like Shiomitsu Sensei who is clean and approachable or Arakawa Sensei. (via video). Of course the best way is to actually join their dojo and train under them. That is the best. Learning from video means there is no one around to correct you. So if you want to learn from Suzuki Sensei then the best way was to go train with him directly so he could fix you. Just trying to copy him from afar....will only hold you back. Substitute Suzuki for Takagi. Same difference.
Your karate will become a mess if you try to copy what Takagi Sensei does unless he is there in front of you to mold and guide you. My opinion of course based upon my experience of trying to clean up various students over the years.

Great,so that :
As long as those two in the video are better than you then you should be ableto learn from itinstead of critisizing it.
is totally wrong.....
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

Gusei21 wrote:
Aslan wrote:

Asian,

I'm sorry, Gusei21.And probably you misunderstood me. But I did not mean to learn kata by video. Of course, it's nonsense! Kono and Sakagami are examples of Suzuki's students, which he undoubtedly influenced. And maybe they are best examples, IMHO.
Aslan Datiev
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

acer wrote:
As long as those two in the video are better than you then you should be ableto learn from itinstead of critisizing it.
is totally wrong.....
Guys, my memory is bad so perhaps I am not remembering correctly but wasn't there an obnoxious kid on the old Wado forum who we guessed was probably a 14 year old green belt who delighted in trying to yank our chains? Can this be Acer now a few years older?

Acer...I must have been unclear but I don't have the energy to explain myself to you anymore. Call me anything you want...it truly doesn't bother me.
I'm pretty hopeless in that regard...but my friends all know that about me...lol.
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

FireFist wrote:I apologize for going off topic here, but the Google translation is even worse in Swedish... It says something like "Basic form of hand- and Road & Arakawa-Austrian town". Austria / Österreich in Swedish is "East Country" or "East Realm"... maybe it is a possible, literal translation. Sounds funny anyway :)
HI Firefist,

My point in posting the strange translation that come from Google is Google is just one of the ways that misinformation is spread across the ether these days. Transliteration is not the same as translation and differing linguistic variances and language inflections can arise right across this universal medium. A good example of this is our forum here which has a vast difference in the degree of knowledge and wado wisdom right across the board and differing international, national and organizational mores. Not everyone here is a beginner nor is everyone an 8th dan.

Yabumi said it very well when he complained of his/our equilibrium being upset. I believe the true spirit of wado ryu has a fair degree of forbearance in its teaching which is evident in its technique, that is why wado is a Do form not a jutsu form. It is this type of thing that we must be aware of when coming to these forums because to miss this is to foster situations like we have with hook punching enthusiasts at the moment which destroys the spirit of wado ryu and, like most of the folks here, I am really here for the enjoyment not the angst.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gary

Post by Gary »

This was once a nice little "reading room". I go away for a few months, had a look and it seems like I have been missing a right bun fight!!

Not getting into that (as the old saying goes a wise man is never in a fight in the first place), but interested in anyone’s thoughts about KK # 10 in this vid.

Two very different ways were shown:

Arakawa sensei didn't seem to even touch his opponents left leg with his left hand, whilst performing the throw, whereas Okumachi appears to grab his opponent’s zubon and lift upwards to propel uke.

Anyone else see that?

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/