Hiromasa Setamatsu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Aslan

Re: Hiromasa Setamatsu

Post by Aslan »

acer wrote:
Leg attacks happen in our Dojo. Leg attacks like sunegeri and sukuto fumikomi are part of many Wado syllabi, defences against low line kicks occur in Kihon Gumite.
As low kicks I was mean that (please not focus on show just the move) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdxpG5ySo80 the simple fast and practical move used by many styles as kihon and pair work but not in Wado.
As far back as 1977 I remember Sakagami Sensei teaching defences against kicks to the thigh.
Why oh why they didn’t add this very practical teach then in general syllabus?
The mawashi geri gedan is the first think you will face if you spar with a Kyokushin/Shidokan or Thai/Kickboxer fighter. And yes (one more time) we don’t have not even one drill against it as for example the others styles have and teach all the strategy how to defend avoid and block it as part of basic syllabus just like we have jun tsuki.
If we talk about the practical application and rationalism, the low kick to me it seems quite harmless technique. If in the same Kyokushin allowed to attack tsuki to the head, we would have seen low kicks is much less.
In my opinion, tobikomitsuki is much more practical and effective than any hook, although I am familiar with hooks and Suzuki Sensei and Sakagami Sensei, and also had them in raptures.
Aslan Datiev
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Aslan wrote: the low kick to me it seems quite harmless technique..
I trained a lot with kickboxers in my younger days. Their low kicks were about as harmless as the hoofs of a raging bull.
One good kick on un untrained leg and you're done...
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
acer

Post by acer »

Good luck with blocking a low kick. Most kickboxers don't block it but are trained to endure it
Yes that’s truth but in Wado we don’t have that kind of hard body training so that is out of question...
Exactly because Wado has some great techniques to deal with it. But it involves taisabaki, not blocks.
Well all the other styles that use low kicks use taisabaki too you know.
The difference is that they have drills in syllabus to show how exactly you can use the movement against low kicks we on the other hand don’t...
We can only imagine or copy for others to see how is done correctly.
It will be easier to learn without experimental wrong things that you believe are right (if you don’t know how to use it how you will find the correct respond for it )if there were those kind of drills in Wado syllabus I think....
If we talk about the practical application and rationalism, the low kick to me it seems quite harmless technique
You clearly joking...
If in the same Kyokushin allowed to attack tsuki to the head, we would have seen low kicks is much less.
Correct me if I’m wrong but in Muay Thai the use punches in the face and the low kics are still the first choice...
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

kyudo wrote:
Aslan wrote: the low kick to me it seems quite harmless technique..
I trained a lot with kickboxers in my younger days. Their low kicks were about as harmless as the hoofs of a raging bull.
One good kick on un untrained leg and you're done...
Sorry for my bad English)))
Low kick is very strong and painful kick. But punch to the face is much more shorter paths and faster. And of course the more frequently used.
At a distance at which in kickboxing and kyokushin low kick is used, wado people are going to make ashi barai or any kuzushi. Is it not so?
Aslan Datiev
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

acer wrote:
Good luck with blocking a low kick. Most kickboxers don't block it but are trained to endure it
Yes that’s truth but in Wado we don’t have that kind of hard body training so that is out of question...
Exactly because Wado has some great techniques to deal with it. But it involves taisabaki, not blocks.
Well all the other styles that use low kicks use taisabaki too you know.
The difference is that they have drills in syllabus to show how exactly you can use the movement against low kicks we on the other hand don’t...
We can only imagine or copy for others to see how is done correctly.
It will be easier to learn without experimental wrong things that you believe are right (if you don’t know how to use it how you will find the correct respond for it )if there were those kind of drills in Wado syllabus I think....
If we talk about the practical application and rationalism, the low kick to me it seems quite harmless technique
You clearly joking...
If in the same Kyokushin allowed to attack tsuki to the head, we would have seen low kicks is much less.
Correct me if I’m wrong but in Muay Thai the use punches in the face and the low kics are still the first choice...
You compare the head and thigh? Why do not you hit someone in the jaw in half less than your low kick? Maybe then you will understand what I mean by rational?
Muay Thai? It is sport with the rules. Without grips and throws. No good example.
On the other hand, we (in Wado) do not learn to take the blows in the thigh or in the case (as in Kyokushin or Muay Thai). We learn to take away the body from these attacks. By using wado movements.
Aslan Datiev
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

You could teach some fairly fundamental defences against leg kicks to a chimp.

Doesn’t mean to say that you’ll never get caught by one, you can only hope that it’s a Kyokushin thigh kick rather than one designed to take apart you knee joint.

I guess the main thing is awareness.

Tim
acer

Post by acer »

Muay Thai? It is sport with the rules. Without grips and throws. No good example
You are speaking about the SPORT type kumite WITH RULES of kyokushin that is knockdown and they not allowed punches in the face and you said that if were allowed then the low kicks wouldn’t be so many..
Then I answer you about another SPORT,Thai,that they have punches in the face and still using the low kicks as first choice and you said that is a SPORT and not good example?Kyokushin knockdown is a SPORT too with rules(no punches in the face).
On the other hand, we (in Wado) do not learn to take the blows in the thigh or in the case (as in Kyokushin or Muay Thai). We learn to take away the body from these attacks. By using wado movements.
How you learn to do that if they don’t exist in syllabus,as exist in other styles,any drills to show how to move correctly against that type of attack(low kick)
It would be more easier to exist than to quess what is right and wrong?That’s what I m try to write.
At a distance at which in kickboxing and kyokushin low kick is used, wado people are going to make ashi barai or any kuzushi. Is it not so?
Try to catch a fast and sharp low kick without any kind of training against a good and not stupid opponent.Its not so easy or simple as you think without the right training and that training we don’t have it in syllabus.
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

acer wrote:
Muay Thai? It is sport with the rules. Without grips and throws. No good example
You are speaking about the SPORT type kumite WITH RULES of kyokushin that is knockdown and they not allowed punches in the face and you said that if were allowed then the low kicks wouldn’t be so many..
Then I answer you about another SPORT,Thai,that they have punches in the face and still using the low kicks as first choice and you said that is a SPORT and not good example?Kyokushin knockdown is a SPORT too with rules(no punches in the face).
How you learn to do that if they don’t exist in syllabus,as exist in other styles,any drills to show how to move correctly against that type of attack(low kick)
It would be more easier to exist than to quess what is right and wrong?That’s what I m try to write.
1. Muay thai is bad example, because in a normal street fight, guys tend to punch in the face and then try to throw the opponent to the ground. Using the low kick is used much less frequently than a kick in the groin, for example.
2. In oyo kumite and kihon kumite you can find everything you need from any attack.IMHO
Aslan Datiev
shep

Post by shep »

Hi acer

I get the impression you are struggling with the concept of wado principles and putting them into practice. You really need to bring this up with your sensei. The message from this forum is crystal clear. I have to ask though, if you really do feel short changed in your training why not find a Kyokushinkai or Mauy Thai club, somewhere for you to scratch your enquireing itch. But take it from someone who has tried other styles over the years (Japanese, Chinese, and Korean), you will eventually find the answers your looking for closer to home - I did.

shep
acer

Post by acer »

1. Muay thai is bad example, because in a normal street fight, guys tend to punch in the face and then try to throw the opponent to the ground. Using the low kick is used much less frequently than a kick in the groin, for example.
And what if someone did attack you like that?What would you do?To make a little humor, you will scream at him:
''hey you... Time-out,time- out..!!!Don’t use low kicks please I never practice what to do against them and everybody try to hit in the face. So please use only straight punches to the face thank you..'' :P
I m sorry that doesn’t cover me ..

get the impression you are struggling with the concept of wado principles and putting them into practice.
Putting them into how can apply them in all kinds of attack basically.

have to ask though, if you really do feel short changed in your training why not find a Kyokushinkai or Mauy Thai club, somewhere for you to scratch your enquireing itch. But take it from someone who has tried other styles over the years (Japanese, Chinese, and Korean), you will eventually find the answers your looking for closer to home - I did.
I was practicing kyokushin thai/kick boxing and little grappling before start Wado,I know how they move, attack, defend that’s why I find really hard to bite that when you face an opponent that want to ''really'' hit you with hook punches,low kicks or even use a double leg down and you only focus on...straight punches with all the adrenaline in your blood somehow you will know how to defend against attacks you never seen in your life and you will mystery succeed..
Its not real .