To practice or search

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Tesshu

Re: To practice or search

Post by Tesshu »

Yes, his sister is Marsha. I met her for the first time this morning. And I second Oneya's remarks about Goju-ryu; the principles of Wado-ryu and Goju-ryu are as different as a Windows PC and a Mac--sure they're both computers on the outside, but the same operating system? Some people use a Mac and some don't. Nothing wrong with that. Now, as for the abacus that is the Shintani karate....
Michael Matthews
majin29

Post by majin29 »

Tesshu wrote:Yes, his sister is Marsha. I met her for the first time this morning. And I second Oneya's remarks about Goju-ryu; the principles of Wado-ryu and Goju-ryu are as different as a Windows PC and a Mac--sure they're both computers on the outside, but the same operating system? Some people use a Mac and some don't. Nothing wrong with that. Now, as for the abacus that is the Shintani karate....
Wow, they must have just gone down because I spoke with her in Oakville last Wednesday about signing up. She was very nice and answered all of my incessant questions.

personally, I'm a Mac guy..... but as others have said, it looks like the best course of action is to start anew. Learn Wado from the ground up. I have to ask, what do some of you mean when you say there are inherent differences in approach between Japanese karate and Goju? I'm curious.
David Coscina
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

majin29 wrote:
Tesshu wrote:Yes, his sister is Marsha. I met her for the first time this morning. And I second Oneya's remarks about Goju-ryu; the principles of Wado-ryu and Goju-ryu are as different as a Windows PC and a Mac--sure they're both computers on the outside, but the same operating system? Some people use a Mac and some don't. Nothing wrong with that. Now, as for the abacus that is the Shintani karate....
Wow, they must have just gone down because I spoke with her in Oakville last Wednesday about signing up. She was very nice and answered all of my incessant questions.

personally, I'm a Mac guy..... but as others have said, it looks like the best course of action is to start anew. Learn Wado from the ground up. I have to ask, what do some of you mean when you say there are inherent differences in approach between Japanese karate and Goju? I'm curious.
Hi Majin,

I'm not sure which posts you are referring to but..
The only official registred Japanese style is Wadoryu. All other styles are registred as Okinawan styles.

But I guess you are aiming at Wado sente and Okinawa karate ni sente nashi
(nashi means without, so without sente. wado is based on sente)

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

WadoAJ wrote:
majin29 wrote:

Hi Majin,

I'm not sure which posts you are referring to but..
The only official registred Japanese style is Wadoryu. All other styles are registred as Okinawan styles.

But I guess you are aiming at Wado sente and Okinawa karate ni sente nashi
(nashi means without, so without sente. wado is based on sente)

AJ
I keep forgetting that Funakoshi was Okinawan and introduced karate to Japan....
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

majin29 wrote: I have to ask, what do some of you mean when you say there are inherent differences in approach between Japanese karate and Goju? I'm curious.

Hi manjin.

Using a broad brush and brevity out of consideration for many of the knowledgeable on the forum here:
Essentially wado ryu has the major part of its lineage streaming from a Japanese koryu system which dates from the end of the Tokugawa period and a samurai of the Kuroda Clan so its philosophy, nature and premise can be seen as inherent in the Japanese bushi legacy. This suggests that it can be seen as more a warrior system that - in part - were weapons based - notably the sword and therefore can be seen as offensive in nature rather than the self defense premise that Okinawan karate holds.. The founder of wado ryu studied this system of ShindoYoshin Ryu from childhood.

Being as the Okinawan systems were brought to Japan at a propitious time for him He chose to adapt aspects of the Okinawa systems into his own development and presumably for his future purpose with his experience gained from a few of the notables from Okinawa systems.

Okinawa te was originally devised as systems of self defence for the agrarian society earlier in their Okinawan history... Naha-te is one aspect of this Okinawa system, Shuri-te is another.

The Okinawa aspect of Wado Ryu has its lineage more in the Shurite.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:
majin29 wrote: I have to ask, what do some of you mean when you say there are inherent differences in approach between Japanese karate and Goju? I'm curious.

Hi manjin.

Using a broad brush and brevity out of consideration for many of the knowledgeable on the forum here:
Essentially wado ryu has the major part of its lineage streaming from a Japanese koryu system which dates from the end of the Tokugawa period and a samurai of the Kuroda Clan so its philosophy, nature and premise can be seen as inherent in the Japanese bushi legacy. This suggests that it can be seen as more a warrior system that - in part - were weapons based - notably the sword and therefore can be seen as offensive in nature rather than the self defense premise that Okinawan karate holds.. The founder of wado ryu studied this system of ShindoYoshin Ryu from childhood.

Being as the Okinawan systems were brought to Japan at a propitious time for him He chose to adapt aspects of the Okinawa systems into his own development and presumably for his future purpose with his experience gained from a few of the notables from Okinawa systems.

Okinawa te was originally devised as systems of self defence for the agrarian society earlier in their Okinawan history... Naha-te is one aspect of this Okinawa system, Shuri-te is another.

The Okinawa aspect of Wado Ryu has its lineage more in the Shurite.

oneya
Thanks, that's a very articulate and interesting bit of info. I'm still amazed at how underrepresented Wado is up in Ontario. I'd never even heard of it until I stumbled across that video I posted as one of my initial posts on this forum.

I think the other thing is that there isn't as much media attention to karate as there could be. I cannot think of too many films that depict it respectfully except for Kuro Obi which is probably one of the best martial arts films I've ever seen since it tries (and mostly succeeds) in portraying karateka in a more realistic light. Some of the bad guys (Japanese military) are a tad one dimensional and archetypal but still, when you compare it to some cheese like Karate Kid or even the flashy Ip Man movies, it's pretty solid. I recommend it to you all if you get a chance to see it even though one of the main characters does Goju (Akihito Yagi) and the other does Shotokan (Tatsuo Naka).
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

Ah yes Kuro Obi.. There are people on here more knowledgeable than I am who know of Tatsuo Naka and If you hang around here long enough someone may confirm that Tatsuo Naka is originally a well respected Wado Kai fella who transferred to Shotokan for specific reasons.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

TatsuYA Naka..

edit: I think his principal sensei from Shotokan is Tsuyama sensei, but I'm not sure.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hmmn yes, thanks AJ, Of course it is Tatsuya Naka I must have been thinking of another Tatsuo - probably someone who has left the dojo now.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:Hmmn yes, thanks AJ, Of course it is Tatsuya Naka I must have been thinking of another Tatsuo - probably someone who has left the dojo now.

oneya
Sorry about that. Sometimes I get a little dyslexic with Japanese names....which isn't so good seeing that my wife is Japanese!

Naka Sensei is very impressive nonetheless.
David Coscina