This is why wikipeidia can be a pain in the ass

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
claas

Re: This is why wikipeidia can be a pain in the ass

Post by claas »

Hi Gusei21,

I have noticed this difficulty you mentioned and as I said, I don't see any point either for writing about the quality of their stuff on wikipedia. On this thread my POV has been completely on the mechanism of wikipedia. Not Shintani nor anything else. So to answer your question, I don't want anything more. That was already more than I wanted. The point was that in wikipedia the idea is to back up claims with references that can be checked. The point was not that anyone should try to convince me or anyone else in this thread.
Last edited by claas on Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
claas

Post by claas »

Hi oneya,
oneya wrote:I have to differ with you claas, because the only relevance that I can see or really care about is the quality of their karate and any suggestion or notion that it is linked in any way to authentic wado ryu.
If for some reason someone thinks it is essential info on the Wadokai-page (organisation) or on the Wado-ryu-page (style) that Shintani's Wado is no good, then go for it and if you do it right, back it up with sources that can be checked. You must understand the nature of such a claim from the viewpoint of someone from outside the style. It would not be the first time that a karateka thinks someone else's karate is not authentic, but these things can't easily be written down where there is neutrality involved.

As for a good source for wado, whether ryu, Kai or kokusai this forum has some pretty well dog eared practitioners amongst its members from all three main global Wado organizations, practitioners who are extremely aware that bias is not the way to preserving the veracity and integrity in their wado ryu, so this is probably as good as it will ever get.
I agree in practice, but unfortunately my opinion doesn't count. I don't know if an internet forum is technically regarded as a good source in wikipedia, but I have my guesses. :(
Wadoworld, on the other hand probably would be even technically.
So it's formalities.
But like I said, it's just a guess. Perhaps a forum post would do in some cases. Certainly a clear message, demonstrating the data written on wikipedia, and an identifiable nickname of an authorative person would help in those cases. Still I don't think it would be regarded as a very strong source.

But all of this is just playing with a thought, unless someone actually wants to write down on the wikipedia that the Shintani-group's Wado is bad. I still don't see any point in it because it is better if they are not mentioned at all, I think.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

claas wrote:
Hi oneya, it is better if they are not mentioned at all, I think.
Ah, now we have a meeting of minds claas..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
JTR

Post by JTR »

Being a member of the Shintani group I will offer my opinion. I do agree that the Shintani group has no business being mentioned with the JKF groups. They are their own entity. The differences are just too enormous to count. As a beginner you don’t notice as much and mostly see the similarities between the authentic Wado styles and what we are taught. But as you progress in rank if one is willing to truly look at the Shintani Style you see it as watered down rubbish. It turns from a glass half full to one that is half empty. This is not a slam on teaching bad karate, just bad Wado. With the wonderful tool called youtube there are many people who are beginning to recognize this and are or will take the necessary steps to change.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Some of us have only managed to catch a glimpse into that world, but I doubt many students will know to look outward, or understand the strength of comment when they occur.