Kette Junzuki

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: Kette Junzuki

Post by Gusei21 »

shep wrote:Hi Bob

I can certainly understand what you saying there. But I still cant get my head around keeping the leg in a suspended state while thinking what to do next. I remember Shimura sensei informed the guy next to me "smooth movement - no stopping"
I can understamd it as a balance thing for beginners. Just a thought

a puzzled shep
Don't think. Just react or just do. At least according to Yoda.
What I mean is this.
First you kick. Then you punch.
Nothing is suspended. The kick is done. Snap. The snap has a natural retraction if done properly. Then what do you do next?
Go forward and punch if that is what the situation dictates. Or go sideways, or go back or whatever depending... and the depending is a reaction to what unfolds. So that is one part.
The other part is learning to how to use your body. In Wado we kick with our body, we punch with our body, we block with our body.
So after the kick naturally concludes with a retraction (kette) then you engage in the next act of mass transfer which in this case happens to be junzuki.

And if done correctly this will always be a work in progress like Oneya and others say. Somedays are better than others. And we are always learning. Coincidentally I discovered something last night that has taken my junzuki to the next level. Unfortunately I broke my student as a part of the discovery process but....I think I just increased my power output by a significant factor. First chance I get I want to go track down our local systema expert and trade punches. I want to know if we are doing something similar at least on an internal level. Their body mechanics interests me. Anyone who can hit hard interests me. I know we can't violate Newton but sometimes some people can make it look like they can. Oneya..phoning you later tonight!!
Bob Nash
shep

Post by shep »

I'm sure i've seen some youtube footage somewhere. Im at work at the moment so cant access it. Will try and dig it out tomorrow so that there is a visual to go with the thread - Junzuki 'work in progress' - absolutely, couldnt agree more

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

There may be various opinions on this but in the footage you can see he covers the points raised about being able to react and change direction.