Conditioning

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gary

Conditioning

Post by Gary »

Admittedly, I don’t train as much these days as I should, but when I do – I usually cope fairly well in terms of fitness levels and conditioning (although I take longer to recover these days particularly if it has been a very physical session lol).

However, training Jujutsu is a completely different beast.

I find it drains me physically and very quickly, and I was just wondering whether anyone else had any similar experiences.

I guess your body becomes conditioned or used to what you do with it, but given that Wado has Jujutsu in its DNA, I am surprised at just how hard (physically) jujutsu is proving to be for me. There seems to be a very different kind of core strength/stamina involved.

Then again it could be because I am more unfit than I care to think about :(

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Rayedin

Re: Conditioning

Post by Rayedin »

For me it depends on what type of JuJitsu.
though i dont practice bjj i do practice judo and ne-waza randori is very similar to bjj, a few bouts with other dan grades is very draining, its full on all the time, with no chance of a rest, relax your grip or you mind for a second and the mistake is punished, not unusal for the inexperienced to lose grip altogether with the build up of lactic acid in the forearms.
If its a form of modern jujitsu, sport, bjja, goshin etc. then the fitness comes from being thrown over and over and getting up time and again, its a different fitness from karate, when someone has a grip of you theres no way to catch a breather, the second you do your looking up at the ceiling.
Koryu jujutsu i have no experience of so cant comment.
What i do is secret training!, for grip and pull strength, a pull bar is superb, 5 overhand pull ups and 5 underhand with a leg raise every rep, every time you use the bathroom at home, you'd be surprised how many you can do in a day, or squats with no weight, 25 every advert break as you watch tv. on top of dojo practice and runs etc. bit obbsesive but the older i get the fitter and stronger the young dan grades seem to be, need to keep on top as long as possible!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Rayedin wrote:For me it depends on what type of JuJitsu.
though i dont practice bjj i do practice judo and ne-waza randori is very similar to bjj, a few bouts with other dan grades is very draining, its full on all the time, with no chance of a rest, relax your grip or you mind for a second and the mistake is punished, not unusal for the inexperienced to lose grip altogether with the build up of lactic acid in the forearms.
If its a form of modern jujitsu, sport, bjja, goshin etc. then the fitness comes from being thrown over and over and getting up time and again, its a different fitness from karate, when someone has a grip of you theres no way to catch a breather, the second you do your looking up at the ceiling.
What i do is secret training!, for grip and pull strength, a pull bar is superb, 5 overhand pull ups and 5 underhand with a leg raise every rep, every time you use the bathroom at home, you'd be surprised how many you can do in a day, or squats with no weight, 25 every advert break as you watch tv. on top of dojo practice and runs etc. bit obbsesive but the older i get the fitter and stronger the young dan grades seem to be, need to keep on top as long as possible!!
Thanks Rayedin,

Mr Koryu Jujutsu training is at embryonic stage and although I have been taught some of the Koryu proper, most of the practice is Kihon (and quite rightly so). As you say, it's the throws and getting back up that takes it out of me. Also Ukemi is a really good form of conditioning - I had no idea how tough that was!!

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Gary

Post by Gary »

Let me also come at it from another angle.

Most of us agree that Wado is more than the sum of the kicking and punching parts, however it seems to me at least that although my training has allowed me to look beyond that (and realise the difference), from a conditioning aspect it has been geared arround delivering exactly that.

I know a very senior instructor in the Academy is really into his Jujtsu - ground fighting.

I suppose I'd just like to understand where others stand on it.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
shep

Post by shep »

Gary wrote: it's the throws and getting back up that takes it out of me. Also Ukemi is a really good form of conditioning - I had no idea how tough that was!!

Gary
Hi Gary

Its been a couple of years since I attended my local ju jitsu class. but I know exactly where your coming from. In my typical Wado class I would be lucky to be thrown between 5-10 times as an average. When I took part in their class I was being thrown and getting back up most of the lesson - I was knackered. It is what you get use to I suppose.

shep
Rayedin

Post by Rayedin »

Gary wrote:
Rayedin wrote:For me it depends on what type of JuJitsu.
Thanks Rayedin,

Mr Koryu Jujutsu training is at embryonic stage and although I have been taught some of the Koryu proper, most of the practice is Kihon (and quite rightly so). As you say, it's the throws and getting back up that takes it out of me. Also Ukemi is a really good form of conditioning - I had no idea how tough that was!!

Gary
Hiya Gary,

Ukemi's an art in itself, it takes a while to get conditioned to being thrown, not only physicaly but mentaly, i often see kyu grades that nervously try to turn into a throw rather than relaxing and allowing themselves to be thrown, and end up in a worse state, no matter how many times i demonstrate how to fall. the killer in the west is the lack of sprung floors, laying mats on concrete or even a sports centre floor still makes for a solid landing where as a sprung floor is like being thrown on a matress. once someones got the confidence to just take a breakfall then the rest is easy, relaxation and regular training is the key though, take a month out and after the first night back its sore lats for two days after!.

All the best

Ray.
Rayedin

Post by Rayedin »

shep wrote:
Gary wrote: it's the throws and getting back up that takes it out of me. Also Ukemi is a really good form of conditioning - I had no idea how tough that was!!

Gary
Hi Gary

Its been a couple of years since I attended my local ju jitsu class. but I know exactly where your coming from. In my typical Wado class I would be lucky to be thrown between 5-10 times as an average. When I took part in their class I was being thrown and getting back up most of the lesson - I was knackered. It is what you get use to I suppose.

shep
Hiya Shep,
Should i ever find myself down your way i'll make sure i bring my kit, no matter how hard and often i train or how much effort i put in i still feel a little out of my comfort zone in the Wado class, were there to be some throws even 5 or 10 i'd be delighted!, its nice to know you practice them in your class. Kumite is the hardest, i need to make sure my fingers are well tucked into the gloves so as every time i get close i can resist the temptation to nip in with an uchi mata!
shep

Post by shep »

Rayedin wrote: Hiya Shep,
Should i ever find myself down your way i'll make sure i bring my kit, no matter how hard and often i train or how much effort i put in i still feel a little out of my comfort zone in the Wado class,

Hi Ray

If your ever down this way you'd be more than welcome

shep