Kata

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
claas

Re: Kata

Post by claas »

acer,

Perhaps you should teach Zenpo Shimabukuro the meaning of Karate kata. :)

Many times I have wondered who was the guy who claimed that a "frozen" attack with hikite and the whole nine was the way they attack on the street? Because if no one ever claimed that, then it kinda feels stupid to argue against it.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
acer

Post by acer »

I don’t want teach anyone anything :-D
I just hate that kind of explanation:
''Ok the opponent will attack with stepping straight punch (aka jun tsuki)....ok..the other hand in hikite....ok..... know you wait and I will conuter…ok nice now throw me a gyaku tsuki....'' etc
And this is the bunkai /kaisetsu/ whatever (not important the difference right now) that everyone show and teach!!!
Dear God that sucks big time :-((((
oneya

Post by oneya »

acer wrote:I don’t want teach anyone anything :-D
''Ok the opponent will attack with stepping straight punch (aka jun tsuki)....ok..the other hand in hikite....ok..... know you wait and I will conuter…ok nice now throw me a gyaku tsuki....'' etc
And this is the bunkai /kaisetsu/ whatever (not important the difference right now) that everyone show and teach!!!
Hi Acer,

In the first place 'not everyone' teaches like this which you can see from the various replies to your assumption. Most everyone here understands that this 'stage' of the karate process is necessary in the early years and continues for as long as the student/s need the lesson repeated. To pick up any part of any learning process and assume it is unnecessary, is to misunderstand the whole process being the sum of its parts. This aspect of the method is probably the way it has been handed down through the history and is necessary if we want to understand the way the whole thing fits together..

I am not quite sure what you see wrong with this when people, like Zenpo Shimabukuro and many others are able to demonstrate the obvious benefits of a method and their style.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

acer wrote:I don’t want teach anyone anything :-D
Hi Acer, glad you are back.

I think the regulars on here have explained their take on this very well.

I used to get quite wound up about the demonstration format but have since learned to chill out and accept it for what it is.

All of these things have their purpose and are designed to produce a particular end product. In some cases (like the demo format) they are there to act as a kind of showcase for cognoscenti and uneducated alike, so they are always going to be somewhat lacking as they will inevitably fall between stools.

As Oneya pointed out; don’t you practice formal Wado paired exercises? If so, surely you see the benefits they bestow as teaching tools.

But they are inevitably a part of what is practiced in a Wado Dojo, not the whole picture, and I suppose that similarly formal attack defence are a part of what other styles do as well.

You say you "hate this kind of explanation", it is an explanation not the explanation....and it has its purposes.

Tim
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

Thanks for all of the responses. Just when you think you've got something, there always seems to be a gigantic mountain masking itself under the water.

I've got much to learn.
Sergio Phillipe
honoluludesktop

Post by honoluludesktop »

For me visualizing kata was practiced separately, when lying, sitting, standing, etc. Once the kata is burnt into the neural net, when doing, I only try to integrate the successful feelings I experienced from kumite into the movements. Btw, I am not very big on bunkai as commonly practiced.
oneya

Post by oneya »

Neural net...??

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
honoluludesktop

Post by honoluludesktop »

The biological nervous system.