Dealing With Issues

General chat on non-martial arts talk such as wine, food, travel and so on.
Craven

Re: Dealing With Issues

Post by Craven »

dangars,

Same here. Didn’t start Martial Arts until I was 18 and until that point I was going downhill with drinking and fighting and getting into various degrees of trouble with my so called ‘mates’. I thought I was a ‘tuff-guy’ until my new Ju-Jitsu instructor taught me that the Tatami isn’t as soft as it looks and can be quite painful when your body is slammed into it when you least expect!

I think most people do think Karate is cool but they just can’t be arsed to learn it! NB I Just caught something on TV this morning about a new self-defence craze in the U.S. made me think WTF!

wadoka,

that was a bad experience, bet they wouldn’t try that one on you now? When I first started there was no changing rooms in the freezing cold church hall we were in, bit of a shock for any female members but at least you could keep an eye on your possessions!
shep

Post by shep »

Craven wrote:dangars,

I think most people do think Karate is cool but they just can’t be arsed to learn it!
Thats probably why there is an abundence of Kickboxing schools. Karate with no soul as far as im concerned.

shep
Craven

Post by Craven »

shep wrote:

Thats probably why there is an abundence of Kickboxing schools. Karate with no soul as far as im concerned.

shep
Agreed. Same as the current wave of MMA, Krav-Maga & BJJ clubs that are cropping up around here.

I remember fighting once at a tournament, in Scarborough UK, against a Kickboxer/Freestyle guy. He was looking good in a Stars and Stripes Tai-Kwon-Do suite and the crowd were impressed when he threw a combination of fancy head-height spinning kicks. None of the kicks hit me so I dropped him with a plain old Chudan Gyaku Tzuki. Priceless!
oneya

Post by oneya »

shep wrote:

I think most people do think Karate is cool but they just can’t be arsed to learn it!

shep
As far as I know there is no kata in kickboxing Shep so it is hardly karate - with or without a soul.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
shep

Post by shep »

Hi oneya

I certainly wouldn't argue with that. However there is a kickboxing school near me teaching kata. Will dig it out a clip or two tomorrow and share it. I havent seen it for a while. Great joy

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

shep wrote:Hi oneya

I certainly wouldn't argue with that. However there is a kickboxing school near me teaching kata. Will dig it out a clip or two tomorrow and share it. I havent seen it for a while. Great joy

shep

Kickboxing kata..? this'll be interesting...

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

shep

Post by shep »

At the risk of topic drift I will post it here

http://www.cotterillmartialarts.co.uk/syllabus.htm

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Kihon kata by any other name or aspiration but with awkward movement and a strange kiai.

And I forgot the thigh slapping bow.

I thought it might or should have been a sequence of relevant kickboxing combinations but alas no.
oneya

Post by oneya »

WTF. Shouldn't footpads always wear masks...? At least it has been posted on the "Non Martial Arts section.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

shep

Post by shep »

To think the ignorant actually pay to learn that load of bol--cks. A fool and their money etc..

shep