Question

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
WadoAJ

Re: Question

Post by WadoAJ »

Aslan wrote:Shintani told me he taught Jean Claude Damme karate!
HAHAHA!! It's something you can boast? Maybe Van Dam is a good fighter? ))))))[/quote]

Aslan, good to "see" you!

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi JTR,

I think Ohtsuka meijin's reasons and actions for the Shintani ascendancy have been exhausted over the last few years and are no longer of any consequence to today's practitioners and rightly so. What is now evident is that its legacy is an edifice to the weaknesses that foster the deceits and perfidious nature that many are capable of for their own reasons which still remains a dark patch on wado history but history is full of dark patches that are of little or no consequence any more - unless we learn from the lessons.

I applaud your practical thinking. I think what is necessary for students within the Shintani fold now is to decide whether they wish to follow a path that goes nowhere, or seek a fruitful life in seeking the truths that comes with wado ryu or any other genuine style. 1000 is not such a great distance if an instructor is willing to travel to your mountain. One thing is certain, remaining part of a deceit is no place to start one’s search for truth.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
nlevesque6

Post by nlevesque6 »

Hi JTR,

I practice Wado through the Canadian ZenKuRen Wado Kai and we are always happy to share our knowledge with other Wado practionners (even if you're from the Shintani group). If you wish to discuss the technical differences from the JKF Wado-Kai and the Shintani Federation, you are more than welcome to contact me. My dojo is located in Calgary, which is most likely far from you. Is your sensei's dojo located in Northern Ontario?
JTR

Post by JTR »

Oneya you are correct in that a 1000 is not such a great distance. Wise words.

Nlevesque6 I did not know there was one in Calgary. That is really good news as it cuts the distance to travel greatly. I will send a PM to you to discuss this with you. Your offer is very much appreciated.

I think now I am less concerned with the Rift between Shintani and the Wado Community and would much rather focus on the technical differences. I was already scolded by someone not of our Dojo for arm placement in Pinan Nidan because the Shuto hands where not at a 45 as mine were held high much the same as In Sensei Ohtsuka’s Wado Ryu book (which was my first enlightenment that things were wrong). I was point blank told they were not Wado and I replied they were not Shintani Wado. It took a while for that is sink in to which I received a little verbal abuse for. Since than I have learned to keep my thoughts to myself. My own Sensei is far more open minded.

I am beginning outline the major differences between the two with more focus now on Waza than the kata’s themselves. Good basic techniques will go a long way in correcting kata. Or at least I’m hoping for that route. If you another suggestion I’m open to anything.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

A Wado answer would be to work on Junzuki. It is very telling. Even taking up hidari gamae from shizentai/yoi is valuable training.
nlevesque6

Post by nlevesque6 »

JTR,

If you can't send me a PM, it may be because I just signed up yesterday.

nlevesque6