What should I be expecting?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
dangars

What should I be expecting?

Post by dangars »

Hello all,
Sensei Barry wilkinson phoned me today to talk about my licence issue, now my licence has been missing for many years due to moving house and been injured for nearly 10 years. The conversation was about my injuries i suffered and he has requested I train with him on Thursday night, to see what grade he thinks i should be at, now i know my sylabus but am still relearning the katas, has anybody trained with him and what should i be expecting?
Tim49

Re: What should I be expecting?

Post by Tim49 »

dangars wrote:Hello all,
Sensei Barry wilkinson phoned me today to talk about my licence issue, now my licence has been missing for many years due to moving house and been injured for nearly 10 years. The conversation was about my injuries i suffered and he has requested I train with him on Thursday night, to see what grade he thinks i should be at, now i know my sylabus but am still relearning the katas, has anybody trained with him and what should i be expecting?
Damn, why hasn't anyone designed an emoticon for 'tolling of mournful churchbell and blowing wind, followed by tumbleweed?'

All I can say is - what about that for after care service!

Tim
metalfury

Post by metalfury »

I would relax and expect it just to be a normal lesson covering a range of Kihon Waza (Basic techniques), Renkei Waza (Combinations), Kata and Pair Work, probably starting from orange belt syllabus.

I train at the Aldershot club reasonably regularly. It is a friendly club and has a good selection of students ranging from beginners to 2nd Dan; although I would say the majority of the students are around brown belt level. The training you do is generally appropriate to your grade and as the lesson goes on different grades may be split off to work on particular techniques.

If I was preparing for the lesson after a long break I would revise/practice the syllabi for all the grades upto blue belt so that you are confident in all the basics, pair work and kata, i.e:*
Basic techniques
  • Jodan Uke
    Uchi Uke
    Soto Uke
    Genan Barai
    Kette Junzuki
    Kette Gyakuzuki
    Kette Junzuki No-Tsukkomi
    Kette Gyakuzuki No-Tsukkomi
    Tobikomizuki
    Nagashizuki
    Shuto-Uke
    Ushirogeri Chudan
    Tobigeri
    Surikomi Maegeri Chudan
    Surikomi Mawashigeri Chudan
    Surikomi Sokuto Chudan
    Uraken
    Haito (ridge hand strike, not in the syllabus but often practiced as a basic so don't worry if you've not come accross this)
*Apologies for any spelling errors there maybe in my Japanese

Combinations
Yellow
1. Maegeri Chudan-Tobikomizuki Jodan - Front kick - Snap punch (Head)
2. Maegeri Chudan-Gyakuzuki Chudan - Front kick - Reverse punch (Middle)

Orange
1. Maegeri Chudan - Mawashigeri Chudan - Gyakuzuki Chudan
Front kick - Round house kick middle - Reverse punch middle
2. Gyakuzuki Jodan - Maegeri Chudan
Reverse punch head - Front kick middle

Green
1. Maegeri Chudan - Sokuto Chudan - Gyakuzuki Chudan
2. Tobikomi jodan - Chudan Zuki - Maegeri Chudan

Blue
1. Mawashigeri Chudan - Ushirogeri Chudan - Gyakuzuki Chudan
2. Tobikomi Jodan - Chudan Zuki - Mawashigeri Chudan

Pair Work
Ippon Kumite (1 Step Blocks) 1-4
Ohyo Kumite 1 & 2

Kata
Pinan Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yodan

Enjoy the lesson :-)
--------------
Rob Barrett
UK
Gary

Post by Gary »

dangars wrote:Hello all,
How did you get on dangars?

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
dangars

Post by dangars »

Well I was hoping to say had a great lesson but someone decided to ram a forklift through a bay door 10 minutes before home time so I ended up doing the accident report and didnt leave work until 2100hrs! Had all my gear in the car aswell so I will be arranging to go up there before the wife has the baby and we have settled in to our new house when we get a confirmation date from the council!
Craven

Post by Craven »

I’m training on a course with Shiomitsu Sensei in Leeds tonight. What should I be expecting??? ;)
jacob

Post by jacob »

Craven wrote:I’m training on a course with Shiomitsu Sensei in Leeds tonight. What should I be expecting??? ;)
To be amazed. He makes it look very easy and his knowledge of the human body is very good as well.... Just don't lean against a pillar or the wall, he doesn't like that...
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Craven wrote:I’m training on a course with Shiomitsu Sensei in Leeds tonight. What should I be expecting??? ;)
A lot of sonoba zuki, jodan uke, gedan barai from an upright position and then dropping into shiko dachi. Hopefully there will be a few pairworks done. Maybe even one kata. That would be a lot to squeeze in.

What you shouldn't expect is to run through junzuki through to kette gyakuzuki no tsukomi, then jodan uke through to uchi/naiwan uke all to a monotonous count then a break.
Craven

Post by Craven »

wadoka wrote:A lot of sonoba zuki, jodan uke, gedan barai from an upright position and then dropping into shiko dachi. Hopefully there will be a few pairworks done. Maybe even one kata. That would be a lot to squeeze in.
A few sonoba zuki and some junzuki but no kata though I’m afraid. But what was taught was enough to keep me revaluating my understanding yet again. The main theme was relax and move naturally with lots of analogy to the movement of animals. And that in Martial Arts you need to feel the other persons attack and not rely on just eyesight as what you see can be deceiving. Personaly he said to me that I think too much and not to think just relax. On the way out of the Dojo he looked at me and laughingly said "relax"! On another thread we spoke about cats being good at Wado, I would say Mr Shiomitsu appears to move very much like a 'lazy cat'.

I was joking before as I have been taught by him briefly down in Guildford on the Wado Accademy courses when Jiro Otsuka Sensei was over in the UK and before it became a closed shop.

Best regards,

Craven
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Was it what you were expecting then?

I heard there was a couple of self inflicted injuries by the older members :-)