Politics ???

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
jacob

Politics ???

Post by jacob »

I work away around the UK a lot but always take my Gi with me just in case there is a local Wado club I can get to. Recently I turned up to this club not far from where my hotel was.... After I disclosed what Wado branch i was a menber with I was told by the Sensei i was not allowed to train at this club, I'm a 4th Kyu I just want to train, a bit disheartning ....
shep

Re: Politics ???

Post by shep »

Hi jacob

I would like to think that is a one off. I'm sure 99.9% of clubs would be only too happy to have you join in.

shep
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

jacob wrote:I work away around the UK a lot but always take my Gi with me just in case there is a local Wado club I can get to. Recently I turned up to this club not far from where my hotel was.... After I disclosed what Wado branch i was a menber with I was told by the Sensei i was not allowed to train at this club, I'm a 4th Kyu I just want to train, a bit disheartning ....
Intriguing, I know you probably can't tell us which groups you are talking about but I'd love to know.

Tim
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I can say I have never turned anyone away! And I have had a strange bunch but nice people over the years.
oneya

Post by oneya »

Tim49 wrote:
jacob wrote:I work away around the UK a lot but always take my Gi with me just in case there is a local Wado club I can get to. Recently I turned up to this club not far from where my hotel was.... After I disclosed what Wado branch i was a menber with I was told by the Sensei i was not allowed to train at this club, I'm a 4th Kyu I just want to train, a bit disheartning ....
Intriguing, I know you probably can't tell us which groups you are talking about but I'd love to know.

Tim

No but if Jacob can tell us what group he is with, the process of elimination will give us the other group Tim

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
steveig

Post by steveig »

Hi Jacob,
Over the years I have trained with many different groups and styles and have always been made welcome.
I also enjoy having people from different groups and styles train with me.I cant understand why any group would turn you away.
This must be an isolated case, it would be interesting to know if anyone else has come up against clubs like this.
Good luck with your training.
Steve.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Hi Jacob,

I think you just ran into the wrong club that time.

However,

My sensei taught me that a student does not only chooses his sensei, but that the sensei chooses the students as well. I have had people over for a test lesson to see wheter they want to join or not. It is then up to me (if they want to join) if I allow them into my dojo or not. The atmosphere in the dojo is extremely important. If I have the feeling that someone does not fit well with the group or if I have doubts about his motivation and attitude then I will turn him down for sure. Of course, not in advance or due to the fact that he was in another branch.

Keeping of a current belt is yet another question. I think Gusei21 mentioned his dealing with that on the old AKF which was something like: They can practice 6 months with white belt and then they take an exam to decide which belt is appropriate. (Gusei21, please correct me if I'm wrong in this) I remember it to be something like that. I liked the idea and have used that several times by now. I think the people who accept that way are the ones to grant access to continuous instruction.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Hi Jacob

I share the surprise that you were turned away. I wondered if it might be some sort of misinterpretation of the WKF rule 21 (or whatever the code is) which has caused a lot of consternation on the competition circuit? If it is purely down to what group you train in then that in my view, is inexcusable behaviour and you'd have my vote to name and shame the rascal.

Politics should never stop people from training karate together. Its absurd.

In the mid-80's there was a row going on mainly through the pages of Combat magazine over the rightful line of Wing Chun kung fu. One individual was decrying all others and claiming only his approach was true and he would put his money where his mouth is and accept any challenge to prove it. Someone did, interrupted his seminar, floored him and that was the end of it.They published the photo in Combat. Come the 90's and Wadoryu splits ocurred, there was some sillyness going on and I did wonder if we might see something like that happen for us. Thankfullly, sense prevailed but not before a few legal threats had been issued and stationary letterheads changed. Crazy.

If your work brings you to my neck of the woods, you're welcome to pop in the dojo wearing whatever coloured belt you wish to. If you wear a dogi any other colour than white I shall probably find it hard not to make mirth of it, but I wouldn't stop you from training (caveat except if we have an official seminar - then there are rules!).

Good luck on your future training scouts, hope you don't find anyone else like that club.

Ben

http://www.wadokai-manchester.org
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

oneya wrote:
Tim49 wrote:

Tim

No but if Jacob can tell us what group he is with, the process of elimination will give us the other group Tim

oneya
He gave that away in a previous posting.

Tim
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

I’ve been thinking a little more about this theme.

Part of me thinks you should name and shame, but I think that would be counter productive.

In my Dojo we always keep and open door policy, and it’s always pleasant to receive visitors, we always try to go out of our way to make them feel welcome.

However Jacob I can sympathise, I have experienced this same issue first hand in the past being effectively barred from attending a particular event, all because of politics.

Tim