Kihon hachihonme

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: Kihon hachihonme

Post by Gusei21 »

WadoAJ wrote:@gusei21,

like your mentioning of the resetbutton. This often occurs when one tries to apply kuzushi with too much enthousiasm. Turning the table looking at the role of ukemi, people tend to resist too much which is unrealistic after kari ate / atemi etc or the 'give up' too early. They giving up too early makes the reset button die before the machine does.

as for the dropping into mahanmi neko ashi. Many think they drop because there are bending their knees, while they are actually bending their knees while tensing the muscles of the legs (I guess you call this the quads, not really my field) dropping slower then they should. Actually, if you refer to bending this might be done slowly as well, lowering the body slowly. As for the dropping, I use "to unblock" the knee - hiza no nuki - stating that there should be no muscles interfering with the dropping action of the body becoming weightless temporarily - ukimi - and eventually harmonizing the movement while landing - shizumi - .

AJ
AJ,

Try this. (I realize I might be making Oneya and Tim cringe...so sorry..) Next time you apply kuzushi and your student runs away early - take it to the next level. Don't just apply kuzushi. The reason they escape is because they can. What I mean is that you have them weighted on only one foot. A better way to apply kuzushi is to make sure that as you slide under their center of gravity you also at the same time make sure they remain weighted equally on both feet. That way they are totally kuzushied (if there is such a word). They can't fall. They can''t move. The only way for them to move is for them to fall on their ass because you are connecting to their center and directing the force down both of their legs at the same time. That downward force comes from the body connection from your top half. It's like when you do a kotegaeshi. You can do it many ways. The generic way is to just crank the wrist and they will go but in theory they can still kick you as they go down because they are weighted on only one foot. You can also do kotegaeshi and as you crank you weight both of their foot equally so they are stuck in that spot so you can just destroy them.

I digress. So just slide in, connect, kuzushi, and weigh them on both of their feet equally. Now you can take your sweet time with that tanto and even carve your initials on their sides because they aren't going anywhere quickly.

Who said Wado was for self defense? There is nothing self defensive about Wado.
And we have idiots running around claiming Wado is just about kicking and punching...Hopeless...
Bob Nash
WadoAJ

Re: Kihon hachihonme

Post by WadoAJ »

Gusei21 wrote:
WadoAJ wrote:@gusei21,

like your mentioning of the resetbutton. This often occurs when one tries to apply kuzushi with too much enthousiasm. Turning the table looking at the role of ukemi, people tend to resist too much which is unrealistic after kari ate / atemi etc or the 'give up' too early. They giving up too early makes the reset button die before the machine does.

as for the dropping into mahanmi neko ashi. Many think they drop because there are bending their knees, while they are actually bending their knees while tensing the muscles of the legs (I guess you call this the quads, not really my field) dropping slower then they should. Actually, if you refer to bending this might be done slowly as well, lowering the body slowly. As for the dropping, I use "to unblock" the knee - hiza no nuki - stating that there should be no muscles interfering with the dropping action of the body becoming weightless temporarily - ukimi - and eventually harmonizing the movement while landing - shizumi - .

AJ
AJ,

Try this. (I realize I might be making Oneya and Tim cringe...so sorry..) Next time you apply kuzushi and your student runs away early - take it to the next level. Don't just apply kuzushi. The reason they escape is because they can. What I mean is that you have them weighted on only one foot. A better way to apply kuzushi is to make sure that as you slide under their center of gravity you also at the same time make sure they remain weighted equally on both feet. That way they are totally kuzushied (if there is such a word). They can't fall. They can''t move. The only way for them to move is for them to fall on their ass because you are connecting to their center and directing the force down both of their legs at the same time. That downward force comes from the body connection from your top half. It's like when you do a kotegaeshi. You can do it many ways. The generic way is to just crank the wrist and they will go but in theory they can still kick you as they go down because they are weighted on only one foot. You can also do kotegaeshi and as you crank you weight both of their foot equally so they are stuck in that spot so you can just destroy them.

I digress. So just slide in, connect, kuzushi, and weigh them on both of their feet equally. Now you can take your sweet time with that tanto and even carve your initials on their sides because they aren't going anywhere quickly.

Who said Wado was for self defense? There is nothing self defensive about Wado.
And we have idiots running around claiming Wado is just about kicking and punching...Hopeless...
Hi Gusei21,

Don't get the wrong idea, I said mentioned it as an example of anyone getting this result, not necessarily me vs my student. I thaught to read that in your reply, which makes the rest of your reply a guess. Fine explanation however different from mine in class, but it comes down to the same idea. As for the feet moving, they do it mainly even before contact is made if you know what I mean. Hence my examples of ashi barai and incorrect aiming of a punch or kick. It is like them doing solo kata thinking about the next movement instead of being live in kata.

thanks for your reply anyway.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com