How's training going and why is it so silent here?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
claas

How's training going and why is it so silent here?

Post by claas »

Hi!

Hasn't been much conversation here lately. I wonder why...

Has everyone reached some kind of point where writing on a forum doesn't give anything for you? Have noticed some improvements in the European scene at least within Wadokai. People have a lot better networks than, let's say, ten years ago. So it is possible that this reduces the need for forum talk.

So how's training going and why haven't you written?

My training is worse now, because life is a mess when it comes to routines. But can do some and of course could do more by setting the priorities that way. Had a nice project with the "extra katas" (Bassai, Niseishi, Jion, Jitte, Wanshu and Rohai) in the autumn. Tried to establish such a level that if done on a seminar or somewhere else, I will get efficient training instead of remembering how it is done. (Never bothered to learn any, except for Bassai and Jion, even if I had done them all many times.) I guess I reached that level and can now put it to rest and focus on the nine.

Haven't been writing, because no one else has. I gladly comment anything and everything, just to keep it alive and because you never know if someone finds an interesting angle because of that. Well, of course provided that I think myself that I actually have something to say.

And in my case not having written and how I have trained are probably not that much linked, to also comment on the aspect why I put these two questions in the same topic.

PS: Would be nice to have new members and threads from them. I hope there are no limitations on the forum and if there are, perhaps they could be removed and get this thing going again?
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
Tony West

Re: How's training going and why is it so silent here?

Post by Tony West »

Ok, I'm going to break a habit of a lifetime of forum lurking.
I've been a member of these boards for a couple of years and I've learned a lot just from reading your discussions. As a kyu grade I haven't found a great deal I can contribute without exposing my ignorance.

As a 2nd kyu I've developed a basic grasp of our kihon and kumite but my knowledge of our kata is very shallow. I've been told by some well regarded coaches that my kata performance is quite good and could be very good with further coaching but it all feels a bit superficial at the moment and I have no interest in competition.
A third of our training time is devoted to the solo performance of our kata. There is some application but that doesn't seem to be related to the body mechanics of the solo form. My first introduction to the term kaisetsu a year ago was from these forums and I've never heard it mentioned or discussed during class.

So I'm kind of in the wilderness trying to read everything I can and learn what I can and attend as many seminars with well regarded wadoka as possible.

I will try and post where I can without resurrecting threads. At the very least I'll shine a light on what I don't know and some discussion may arise from it.
It's an awful shame to see this place go quiet as some of the stuff I've read here has lead me down some interesting paths in my training. Not least the internal energy and naihanchi threads.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

The forums come and go, and I've been busy with work and other Social Media.

I will try harder.

My personal training and inner feeling just hasn't taken off a the start of this year. Normally after the excesses of Xmas, I get back onto losing weight and healthier lifestyle. Just bogged down at the minute.
claas

Post by claas »

Hi Tony and welcome aboard!

On forums people either contribute or they make others contribute (by being wrong on the internet, lol) or then they just mess something up, regardless of their knowledge. The latter part referring to difficulties in communication.

Out of the seinsei I have trained with, very few have mentioned kaisetsu as a concept that needs a Japanese word. I guess if you'd ask many Japanese sensei about kaisetsu in kata they would be looking like "yes, kaisetsu is of course important... what is your question?"

What has been told is kaisetsu instead of bunkai, seems to me to be stuff that most good sensei teach even without the word.

It would be great to continue this in another thread, if you come to think of any. Maybe even a new thread could be opened. Feel free to quote if you find something to continue from!
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Training is going okay. Struggling to get a group together to train with at the moment, but I am still managing to train 2-3 hours a day by myself. The small group I did have has dissolved due to it being a small group, and people having other commitments to get on top of. I did try training with a Kempo Karate group for a bit, but my schedule did not allow for that to work out.

Admittedly, I post more often at Karate Forums these days, and I am not a wadoka any more. I practice the Kata of Kabayashi-Ryu these days, and though I still use the kihon kumite as part of my approach when I get the chance, I tend to think of myself as a Karateka over adherence to a particular style.
R. Keith Williams
claas

Post by claas »

This forum is dead and it got killed by forcing people to use their actual names.

I personally was against this, but that is not important. It could've gone another way.

But now what? Last, anyone said anything, was last year and we're mid-year.

How do we continue or should we just go facebook?

Personally I think facebook is a shitty forum, but this is also a dead one and what can you do? When it comes to actual discussion, this forum format would actually be the best.

But where the hell are the people? At one point, this place was it.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Maybe it's just the ebb and flow of the fickle internet.

Once there was e-budo, then martialartplanet, Facebooks....
claas

Post by claas »

Now I am following two international Wado-groups on facebook, one of them very good and valuable and the other a little bit too much of a bashing site.

But would definitely say, facebook groups like these have a lot of the discussions we should have (had) here. What I like about the better group, is unlike here when people still were active, there people dare to actually say what they think and know and actually discuss.

What I dislike about facebook groups is that the information gets lost in a long and messy timeline to random comments here and there, while a forum-setting like this allows to have topics and therefore a better structure. It is a shame this forum didn't become as good as it could have.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

How about letting the Facebook people know...

Maybe the structure is something they will find useful.