BLocks at Jodan level.

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
mezusmo

BLocks at Jodan level.

Post by mezusmo »

Why in Wado are the blocks Generally at Jodan level (except gendan barai)compared to other styles. Is it as simple as when someone attacks you with a strike most times the will aim for your head? Or is there other reasons for doing so?
Martin Duffy
Gary

Re: BLocks at Jodan level.

Post by Gary »

Hi Mezusmo,

I read somewhere (Otsuka's book I think) that Wado Shuto-ukes were deliberately practiced at jodan (rather than chudan) because it was better/harder training due to hands being further away from the centre.

In Ohgami's book he explains the principle of 'double moment' where the body rotates in the opposite direction to the blocking arm. Perhaps making the blocks jodan helps realise this?

Just a thought.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info, interesting. I think i need to invest in some Wado reading material.
Martin Duffy
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

I always suspected it was due to Otsuka Meijin's training with Motobu Choki, though I believe Gary's thoughts are also contributing factors.

Motobu Choki emphasised that the most vital target in a real fight is the face, and that one does not necessarily need to block every attack from a weak opponent, or attacks to the body as with conditioning you should be able to take a blow to the trunk much easier than say to the nose or the groin. Based on this idea I suspect Ohtsuka was taking the pragmatic path, and emphasising defence of the most vital targets; this can also be seen in the stances and changes made to them. Also, from the higher position, it is then much easier to retake the initiative by attacking the face. This, I speculate, because of the emphasis on tai sabaki in Wado-Ryu; one might be better off when looking at the movements as variations on Kamae, then as receiving techniques/uke-waza as they are done in other forms of karate.

For example; the Shorin-Ryu shuto is much better at intercepting an attack by striking as it's point of origin, and the stance offers more stability if one has the take the attack with shuto-uke. Comparatively speaking, I never developed much confidence in the Wado-Ryu variation for receiving an attack, however, as a covering movement to offer security when making use of body movement to avoid or deflect an attack it was very effective. Also, where as the Shorin-Ryu variation offers many opportunities to attack the centre line or move into body-to-body techniques, the Wado-Ryu variation offered better opportunities to gain arm or head control. This is ofcourse anecdotal evidence, and only a comparison between Wado-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu, but hopefully demonstrates where my speculation has arisen from.
R. Keith Williams
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

hi Wado hertic,

Thanks for your input. I agree about blocks at jodan level being pragmatic. Even though there are also other reasons that Gary is alluring to, it still the adds pragmatic value. And regarding your comments on Shuto uke, In Nakayama's books on Shotokan he states that shuto uke (Chudan) if applied in a straight line would be ineffective in blocking an attack. He advises to block at a 45 degree angle to make the block effective.
Martin Duffy
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

No problem, and indeed I recall that statement in Nakayama's book. It is indeed true of the block as performed in Shorin-Ryu, and does make all the difference with regards to Shuto-uke as a receiving technique.

I think another way to look at it is how Ohtsuka Meijin, and his students, viewed the kata through the lens of Koryu Bujutsu as much as through the lens of Gendai Budo. If one looks at the kata as preserved in Okinawan karate; then each kata presents different principles, and ideas, and can be seen as systems in of themselves. Whereas, for example in Shingo Ehgami's book, in Wado-Ryu they are often seen as a progressive model, containing universal principles that are being expanded upon, refined, and diversified as one progresses through the kata.

Comparatively speaking, in Shorin-Ryu or Goju-Ryu, and other Okinawan schools; it is not strange for analogous techniques to be performed in slightly, or even distinctly, different ways depending on the particular kata, and the underlying combative notions it exists to instruct in. However, in Wado-Ryu, the techniques are often the "same" on the surface level but performed in a different context; so changing the technique in of itself is not so useful.
R. Keith Williams