Does anyone else play golf?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Does anyone else play golf?

Post by wadoka »

I was wondering if anyone else plays golf.

Has been quiet of late, so something different for the moment.

For me, I like the process of learning and practice as it is very much like kihon and actually very refreshing to not be able to do something, but then bring the discipline learnt through karate to play. Not that it makes me plat any better as I am far from any sort of level, but the process and self talk of no tension, don't grip too tightly, smooth action, lead from the centre and arms follow.

Hitting the ball is like gyakuzuki for me.

Once off the driving range, it's like another horrible world of torment.
Gary

Re: Does anyone else play golf?

Post by Gary »

Golf's never really floated my boat!

I did a very short stint of trying to enjoy it, but never really got there!

However, I do understand how it can be nice to apply the disciplined mind you develop by being a martial artist - to other skills.

Mine's archery, and has been for a few years now.

I'm still relatively new at it though - and it is fun knowing nothing!

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi Gordon,

I have about $2000 worth of gold equipment (my son used to work in the industry ) in my garage. I used to have a Dunes membership a bit further down the Mornington Peninsula and played a couple of times each week and enjoyed it. Golf and wado have many similarities, what happens to the ball and what happens to an opponent is directly linked to what you do with your body. There are many fine adjustments that you build up as you progress but - Come summer here in Australia where we have roughly 140 species of land snake, and around 32 species of sea snakes have been recorded in Australian waters. Some 100 Australian snakes are venomous, although only 12 are likely to inflict a wound that could kill you which is comforting as you address the ball in the early summer, which is also the snake breeding season and golf courses are sometimes their habitat also..

A couple of seasons ago as I crossed the top of a hill to the 9th tee I had to pull my golf-buggie off to the side to let a small family of brown snakes slither across the path ahead of me - I wasn't just being courteous - but them brown snakes being part of those 12 species likely to bugger up yer score big time, twas the better part of valour.

Anyway,that's why I have $2000 on a shelf INSIDE my garage where, with relative safety, I can manage Naihanchi and - if I shift the cars -Sanbon kumite and Kushanku also.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Reg, looks like that you do have a lot more to content with out in the open wilderness that here in this green and pleasant land, and your Wado mind leads to the right decision.

Gary, you are right, it is nice knowing nothing, performing like a beginner, being taught a little and then going away to work on it more.

Have been told to mix it up a little on the driving range as strangely the first few swings are normally the best and it gets worse towards the end. Told to regularly change clubs and target, as that is more forward training for a real course rather than just trying to slug it as far as I can.

In my lesson we were talking about stance, shifting weight, no tension, fuller movement and so on.
golf.jpg
golf.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 13831 times
majin29

Post by majin29 »

I play tennis on the side. Enjoy it quite a bit but as I near 50, the hard court is harder on the knees than it used to be. Like the clay courts if I can play on 'em.
David Coscina