Beautiful Naihanchi performance and a question.

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
mezusmo

Beautiful Naihanchi performance and a question.

Post by mezusmo »

This is in my opinion a very good Naihanchi.My question is about the side hook punch(i don't know its formal name) it is performed just before the gedan barai before one walks back towards the direction in which one came.In other Wado Naihanchi i have noticed the strike goes out not quite straight but at an angle maybe 130 degree and snaps back.In the video it is performed to the side.Is this punch performed different within the various organizations or is there a general standard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxSvjtcXjs
Martin Duffy
oneya

Re: Beautiful Naihanchi performance and a question.

Post by oneya »

Hi Martin,

Naihanchi kata, like all wado ryu kata and wado ryu itself is a process rather than a set of discrete or standard techniques to learn. The process is one of first building its frame of reference which then becomes a continuing study piece. The more we study it the more we understand it as a method of developing power from within the body by uses of the body according to the principles of wado ryu movement. Ultimately it is a lengthy process and much depends on the individual practitioner being aware of what actually makes up the human body and how it functions. Once we understand this, one goal is to aim for a ‘connected body’ to co-ordinate and optimise the way the body functions. In this way the kata develops and we also develop. This is the way of kata.

Fukazawa Hiroji sensei performs a very creditable Naihanchi here and what I like in particular is its integrity. Naihanchi is a kata comprised of individual techniques and Furukawa doesn’t rush the process so it holds very true to its wado nature.

The technique in question, which looks very much like gyakuzuki to me, is of lesser importance than finessing the degree of rotation shown and a deeper understanding of how he achieves this is a vital part of the Naihanchi process.

Regards

Oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

Hi Reg,

Thank you for your thorough reply.It is most helpful to me.Naihanchi is a wonderful kata.

Regards Martin.
Martin Duffy
oneya

Post by oneya »

Naihanchi is a wonderful kata Martin but perhaps in context it is even more wonderful that its simple structure can develop and evolve the human condition....

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

I could not agree more. Develop and evolve the human condition is ultimately the most important pursuit.
Martin Duffy