Training outside federation/sub group

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
karateman7

Training outside federation/sub group

Post by karateman7 »

Hello,

I am curious as to everyone's thoughts since many of the members have gone through the splits in Wado.

I am really interested in travelling and training in various wado dojo in the world. Training in one dojo (different federation but still part of one of the big 3) in particular has caused some trouble due to the head of my federation not quite liking that person. I've been "banned" for a lack of a better term from going there. Initially, I thought it was just an American thing, but it looks like it even goes as deep as the Japanese sensei.

My question is "how many people have trained elsewhere (different federation/ different sub federation) where it was basically said not to by your sensei. And would it be considered disloyal to do so?"

My concern is that my wado world will only be set in this small bubble. I want to expand and train with others who may have had more exposure to the japanese or better instructors who may teach differently. This is not to say I plan on leaving. THis is for my own personal journey.
Sergio Phillipe
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Training outside federation/sub group

Post by wadoka »

There is always a way.

I have met many good friends through travelling and training. Don't let it hold you back. Life is too short.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

wadoka wrote:There is always a way.

I have met many good friends through travelling and training. Don't let it hold you back. Life is too short.
Agreed.
If you are confident in what you do why restrict your students from making friends in other groups?
In any case, the discerning student will be able to sort the sheep from the goats, the wheat from the chaff. (A lot of chaff around at the moment.)

Seems to be based on fear if you ask me.

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
oneya

Post by oneya »

I think there are probably a few variables to consider here. The loyalty factor has always been stressed in wado ryu’s two way partnership and one could ask one’s self if the relationship with one’s sensei is of any value - unless it is a simply a commercial contract.

Why would you expect any sensei to spend time on your wado ryu education if you don’t respect his efforts and his loyalty?

The journey is long and, at times, tedious and you cannot travel alone for the most part. It’s a relationship that lasts a lifetime.

Having said that: I have always encouraged my student to seek out both top Japanese and western sensei and my dojo has an open door policy for travelers..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
AG1

Post by AG1 »

My opinion is that sr students should be encouraged to train with other Wado groups and for that matter with other styles. In our travels to Japan with Suzuki Sensei we would train with both Wado-Ryu and wadokai groups as long as he knew and respected the instructors. He would also encourage me to attend seminars with Inoue and Higaonna Sensei's when they visited my town.
It may be a bit different with Jr students because they may not have the maturity ( in the karate sense) to absorb it; the foundation is not solid yet.
Arturo Girona
Wado Kokusai KarateDo Renmei
AG1

Post by AG1 »

My opinion is that sr students should be encouraged to train with other Wado groups and for that matter with other styles. In our travels to Japan with Suzuki Sensei we would train with both Wado-Ryu and wadokai groups as long as he knew and respected the instructors. He would also encourage me to attend seminars with Inoue and Higaonna Sensei's when they visited my town.
It may be a bit different with Jr students because they may not have the maturity ( in the karate sense) to absorb it; the foundation is not solid yet.
Arturo Girona
Wado Kokusai KarateDo Renmei