Book: Moving Towards Stillness

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Book: Moving Towards Stillness

Post by wadoka »

A trait of mine seems to be to buy books at the drop of a hat and to begin reading them and then sideline them for the next impulsive buy.

The top book on the small pile by the bed is currently "Moving towards stillness" by Dave Lowry, From Tuttle Publishing. It is a collection of short essays on his experiences and interpretations from his time training in the martial arts. That format makes it easy for me to dip in and out at any location.

He too covers many of the topics and concepts that we find on these kinds of forums.

We shouldn't expect to be hand fed here, nor expect others to spend their hard-earned free time filling the serving plate.

I read a couple of pieces on flower arrangement and why the door into a tea hut for the 'chado' experience is the way it is. Sometimes the language to convey concepts may come across as all mystical and mythical, but it may be to do with trying to engage the freer thinking artistic side (the left I think) rather than the more analytical and mechanical side.
Tim49

Re: Book: Moving Towards Stillness

Post by Tim49 »

wadoka wrote:A trait of mine seems to be to buy books at the drop of a hat and to begin reading them and then sideline them for the next impulsive buy.

The top book on the small pile by the bed is currently "Moving towards stillness" by Dave Lowry, From Tuttle Publishing. It is a collection of short essays on his experiences and interpretations from his time training in the martial arts. That format makes it easy for me to dip in and out at any location.

He too covers many of the topics and concepts that we find on these kinds of forums.

We shouldn't expect to be hand fed here, nor expect others to spend their hard-earned free time filling the serving plate.

I read a couple of pieces on flower arrangement and why the door into a tea hut for the 'chado' experience is the way it is. Sometimes the language to convey concepts may come across as all mystical and mythical, but it may be to do with trying to engage the freer thinking artistic side (the left I think) rather than the more analytical and mechanical side.
I like Dave Lowry’s stuff. I only wish more martial artists would read through his stuff, he makes certain Japanese traditional concepts more accessible, and dispels quite a few myths along the way.

Tim
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I'm quite surprised at how much you can read as a preview on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Toward-S ... 0804831602
oneya

Post by oneya »

Ah Gordon, Have I found another reason for the interest on page 187.??
Lowry lives with his wife and daughter in Missouri where he is the restaurant critic for St. Louis magazine..
oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Doing martial arts and getting paid to eat out, sounds like heaven.