The future of Wado ryu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
mezusmo

Re: The future of Wado ryu

Post by mezusmo »

Gusei21 wrote:
mezusmo wrote:Hi Reg

The reason i'm mentioning the 3 main organizations,(i took for granted everyone knew i was talking about Wado Kai ,WIKF and wado Ryu Renmei) is because i am lead to believe that these organizations are the best places to go to learn Authentic Wado.Would i be mistaken in this?
Hi Martin,

I agree with your accessment for the most part. There are a lot of Wado organizations outside the 3 main stream that are Wado in name only. But there are always exceptions to the rule.
And there are groups that are members of the big three yet I have a hard time recognizing what they do.
Look at this board. The Kear brothers parted with the WIKF after Suzuki Sensei's passing. They are not a part of the big three yet no one can argue that they have a legitimate place at the Wado dinner table. I might be wrong but Tim Shaw is in a similar situation. I don't know the details of that so I can't elaborate. But he belongs at the table. There are a few others.

It is easy for me to say, 'trust me' and I will tell you who is legit. Of course I do say that but..lol.

There are a lot of official JKF Wadokai groups that I would not enroll my dog ...ultimately it's not the group. It is the teacher.
How do you find a good teacher? I have no idea. Let me know when you find the secret formula. It is part luck and part 'you get what you deserve'.
Hi Bob

well there u go shows u what i know!Yes i didn't mean for my post to come across rigidly regarding the 3 organizations ,i am aware of the situation with some other groups(the ones i know anyway, and i hope the kear brothers and Tim wouldn't mind me saying they trained with the best anyway in these groups(as far as i'm aware) so for sure i was counting them at the wado table!
Martin Duffy
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi Martin, saying we ‘trained with the best’ almost certainly invites nonsense comparison that are best avoided. The fact is: any one of these organisations can get you where Wado Ryu seems to be heading. I did consider your predicate too narrow in dismissing quite a number of old wado hands about the place. In the U.K.Tim Shaw has already been mentioned and George Grimes 8th dan who runs the Wado Karate Federation also springs to mind as another guy with 40 plus years of wado experience. My reason for pointing it out is this forum shouts for Wado Ryu, Wado Kai, Wado Kokusai, Wado everything - at the top of the page and there is a world of wado ryu out there.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

oneya wrote:Hi Martin, saying we ‘trained with the best’ almost certainly invites nonsense comparison that are best avoided. The fact is: any one of these organisations can get you where Wado Ryu seems to be heading. I did consider your predicate too narrow in dismissing quite a number of old wado hands about the place. In the U.K.Tim Shaw has already been mentioned and George Grimes 8th dan who runs the Wado Karate Federation also springs to mind as another guy with 40 plus years of wado experience. My reason for pointing it out is this forum shouts for Wado Ryu, Wado Kai, Wado Kokusai, Wado everything - at the top of the page and there is a world of wado ryu out there.

oneya
Hi Reg.That's completely fair enough,it was not my intention the narrow things.
Martin Duffy
oneya

Post by oneya »

No worries Martin, I wasn’t accusing.

I was just trying to widen the scope of your query. It’s a valid question and I’m sure it has crossed many a mind as we get further away from the lineage and legacy of Wado ryu. Part of that problem will surely be all the organisations that think they are teaching wado ryu with only a generic knowledge of what it is. I don’t see any problems in the larger organisations except perhaps the old bogey of inherited partisan politics.

oneya
Last edited by oneya on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I think the future will be different. There are some instabilities in life, but I am looking forward to the next 30+ years as growing progress from my last 30 years.