4 ways of Kihon Kumite 1

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

4 ways of Kihon Kumite 1

Post by wadoka »

OK, not as exotic as it sounds.

Why invent more kata when it is already there.

On the Winter Course Kazutaka Otsuka showed us a drill that some might find an interesting short dalliance from daily life. Basically it is use the underlying responses of tomiri in 4 different ways.

Always start in migi ai gamae, ukemi/attacker always does the same jodan and then chudan zuki attacks as normal for kihon kumite 1.

Torimi then does the following

1) standard way
2) 1st response is the standard, then 2nd is to shift to the right hand side and do left chudan nagashi uke and right ura zuki
3) from right stance, step back into left stance and do the mirror of the standard 1st move, and then the mirror of the 2nd move
4) from right stance, step back into left stance and do the mirror of the standard 1st move, and then shift to the left hand side and do right chudan nagashi uke and left ura zuki, as per the standard 2nd movement

I will leave it up to you to decipher, as it took all my man-flu energy to type it out in the first place.
Tim49

Re: 4 ways of Kihon Kumite 1

Post by Tim49 »

wadoka wrote:OK, not as exotic as it sounds.

Why invent more kata when it is already there.

On the Winter Course Kazutaka Otsuka showed us a drill that some might find an interesting short dalliance from daily life. Basically it is use the underlying responses of tomiri in 4 different ways.

Always start in migi ai gamae, ukemi/attacker always does the same jodan and then chudan zuki attacks as normal for kihon kumite 1.

Torimi then does the following

1) standard way
2) 1st response is the standard, then 2nd is to shift to the right hand side and do left chudan nagashi uke and right ura zuki
3) from right stance, step back into left stance and do the mirror of the standard 1st move, and then the mirror of the 2nd move
4) from right stance, step back into left stance and do the mirror of the standard 1st move, and then shift to the left hand side and do right chudan nagashi uke and left ura zuki, as per the standard 2nd movement

I will leave it up to you to decipher, as it took all my man-flu energy to type it out in the first place.
3 out of the four make sense but number 2, if taken literally, as in Tori doing all the work, I'm struggling with. Maybe it's just me being thick.

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Let's see if I can get the words correct.

From the 1st position of jodan nagashi uke, shift horizontally to the right when the gyakuzuki comes in as if on castors. Slip their gyakuzuki and deflect with the left arm dropping down in front of the body. Right arm drops and does the middle knuckle ura zuki.

So, in theory similar position as last move of number 3.

Not 100% mirror representations of exact body and feet alignment but fluid and appropriate given the different angles.

Any better on my part?
Gary

Post by Gary »

So, are you saying you would move your body arround the anticipated tsuki so as to end up on the outside of your opponent?

Having just previously moved in the opposite direction?

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Yes. I would probably call it being on the inside of the opponent.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

All just a bit of fun...
oneya

Post by oneya »

All of these henka waza seem to assume some deft adjustment in maai also Gordon - especially the second version which (if I have it right) also calls for a counter attack running contrary to natural motion (shizen undo 自然運動) - which, for me, begs the question of its purpose beyond the original kihon kumite ipponme's purpose of gaining access to ukemi's motion and seichusen.

Is this, as you say, just a bit of seminar fun or d'you think Ohtsuka kazutaka might be just calling for a greater flexibility of mind and body perhaps.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Maybe different levels for different people as always.

A bit of fun
Mental gymnastics and slight pressure test
Avoiding being stuck and falling into the assumed rhythm
Having the ability to move freely and adapt and apply effectively the techniques and principles of the kata

So for us, we were at the first item on the list.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

But yes, I agree with your point.
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hah, I was just looking at the Mornington weather forecast which is a mixed bag ranging between 35 celsius to 20 celsius over the next seven days and thinking there is nothing natural or certain about stability in nature. Perhaps it was for similar reasons that the ol' meijin advised 'altering the form to produce countless other forms by more training'. Thanks for the reminder Gordon, now if I could just have some new knees...

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com