Still plugging away

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

Still plugging away

Post by majin29 »

Hi all. Been busy of late with the day job and a couple music projects but I haven't wavered in my Wado training. I'm studying with Rick Iosue who taught alongside Michael Ham. He's pretty hard core and continually stresses practicality in our classes- meaning full intent and proper form. He also shows us applications of the various waza we learn. I think it's terrific that we get the opportunity to see how each move works in context. Last week he had us working on shifting lunge punch. My forearms were sure sore after that class. He admitted he's more combat oriented. Personally I think it's good. Otherwise it's just a pretty dance if one doesn't develop good kime.
David Coscina
Gary

Re: Still plugging away

Post by Gary »

majin29 wrote:Last week he had us working on shifting lunge punch. My forearms were sure sore after that class.
Could you explain what this is? I'm thinking you mean tobikomizuki, but may well be wrong.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
majin29

Post by majin29 »

Gary wrote:
majin29 wrote:Last week he had us working on shifting lunge punch. My forearms were sure sore after that class.
Could you explain what this is? I'm thinking you mean tobikomizuki, but may well be wrong.

Gary
Hi Gary.

Yes that is indeed what we were working on. Our instructor was ensuring we were blocking the attack the right way so we were repeatedly going through drills where one person attacked and the other employed the defence. Still a very difficult technique to master as it relies on contacting the right part of the nage's attacking hand/arm. We also had difficulty timing the taisabaki when the attack came in. My instinct is to move away (or back) from an attack, not move in and to the side. Timing is everything on this one and one cannot practice it alone. Unless they have a Wing Chun dummy or something that replicates the attacker's fist/forearm. Even then, a static dummy isn't going to condition one properly...

But it's still fun. And I'm also enjoying seeing how these fundamental moves are employed at higher levels. I see there's more JuJitsu influence the higher up we go. Nice stuff.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

majin29 wrote:Still a very difficult technique to master as it relies on contacting the right part of the nage's attacking hand/arm.
Hi David,

just for ease of communication also, the wado ryu term would more usually be 'torimi' - from the torimi v ukemi designations - where you use 'nage' which is sometimes Aikido terminology for its obvious nage waza reasons.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

Will do!
David Coscina
majin29

Post by majin29 »

I graded for my advanced green and passed. Blew through my sanbon and Pinan Sandan with no issues. I've been at this belt for almost a year and ended up working ahead on Pinan Yondan and sanbon high block 4. The higher up I get the more interested I become in Wado.
David Coscina