I am a fighter. I don’t do kata.

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: I am a fighter. I don’t do kata.

Post by wadoka »

Andy

Maybe not now, but not too long ago you could tell a lot more.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

One particular Wado fighter with an excellent international record as competitor and coach once told me that he stopped using pure Wado nagashizuki in competition because referees were not trained to see it. His only option was to knock his opponent’s head back with it, which is no option at all.

There is a group not far from me and although they use the Wado name all they do is sport karate, it’s their forte and they are very very good, which is what you’d expect.

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
oneya

Post by oneya »

I guess we need to go back to Tim's earlier post on page 2 for this Andy:
Tim49 wrote:As in all these things I think it is useful to define your terms. What we mean by ‘Wado’ should be fairly simple (or is it?)
What we mean by ‘fighting’ might be more problematic; particularly when you come at it from what Andy seems to be describing as fighting.

Look at Wado as a fighting system; examine what the functional weapons are, coupled with the strategies taught and you realise that what is permitted in Shiai is fairly limited.
Tim Shaw
... and the question might well become" How many dojo that advertise as Wado ryu are actually teaching wado..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com