Hitting Stuff

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
omote

Hitting Stuff

Post by omote »

In our class last night, I was taking the crew through hand mitts and body shield work, when I realized, I just don't care for hitting those pads anymore. I started training in the 70's, when the boxing style heavy bag ruled, and loved pounding on those. As an adult, and very active competitor in my 20's and 30's, we had moved into the hand target and body shield realm, and I really enjoyed the thud and bang of that type workout. To send my partner flying across the room with heavy kicks was just about the most wonderful feeling.

At present though, as my technique has changed, I don't like the impact with the soft foam in those anymore. It feels like I have to make slow, incorrect technique to get that dull thud I had been accustomed to. I have a makiwara in the garden at home, that seems to be much more to my liking.

I was wondering if anyone else had come to this same end, or maybe why it's happening.
Jay Boatright
Florida, USA
AG1

Re: Hitting Stuff

Post by AG1 »

I work all three, ie. handpads, heavy bag and makiwara. Each serves a different purpose; handpads for target and reaction practice, heavy bag for power and makiwara for form and conditioning. In my view they are complimentary and while you may prefer one method over another, they need not be mutually exclusive.

Saludos.
Arturo Girona
Wado Kokusai KarateDo Renmei
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

I found that if bags/pads are used in a teaching environment the teacher needs to have the eyes of a hawk. So much bad practice can sneak in, it all needs constant supervision, if not students will undermine their own development and undo any good habits they have been attempting to establish through kihon.

From personal experience even more damage can be done by mindless makiwara work.

Not saying don't do it, just underlining the potential downside.

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
omote

Post by omote »

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Arturo - I agree about the workout. I still like the heavy, for sweating, and certain weight transfer drills.

Tim - "mindless" anything is bad, right? Until, of course, you are doing 'without mind". Ha!

Just rambling thoughts. I remember being told,long ago enough that I can't remember by whom, that Ohtsuka sensei never used makiwara in his training. Have any of you ever heard that from senior instructors? Seems a curious thing, if true.
Jay Boatright
Florida, USA
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Try this thread ref Ohtsuka and makiwara.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241
oneya

Post by oneya »

Perhaps not verbatim but If I remember Suzuki sensei's words right he said: "Makiwara is about correct way and correct posture, not hitting things."

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Regarding the photo of Otsuka Sensei using makiwara....
Must be from Funakoshi days.
I see Otsuka Sensei wearing geta as he hits makiwara.
There is famous Funakoshi photo of him also wearing geta.

I have several Okinawan friends, one who is a makiwara hitting expert, and they all reacted to the Funakoshi geta wearing photo with a WTF? reaction.
Who the hell wears geta when they hit makiwara - was the response.

Just saying....
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

Maybe geta were the Nike trainers of that time Bob..?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Anything to do with them being outside in the dirt and not bringing it back into the dojo?

Obviously if inside they would not wear geta.
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Nooooooooooo :)

There is geta and there is geta.
I am talking like having 5 inch heels...or teeth as we say in Japanese.
They have flat shoes called zori that they can wear too.

The geta was worn to keep mud off of your feet/clothing. You walked on an elevated platform.
But on normal non muddy ground people wore zori or sandals.
I got a pair of geta at home that I wear if I want to get strange looks from the crowd....

Besides, why would karate boys care about getting their trousers dirty?
Try striking makiwara with geta on. You get zero traction.
Better to be barefoot in the mud....like the Okinawans in Okinawa? :)
Bob Nash