Hitting Stuff

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Hitting Stuff

Post by oneya »

I was talking about the guy in the back row 4th from the right with the air of "Swoosh' indifference about him Bob.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

So, are we saying that Funakoshi and Ohtsuka sensei were maybe not above grabbing a jpeg opportunity when they saw one..??

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
mspain

Post by mspain »

Just a thought.........

If, in the time getas were worn, someone were accosted while they were wearing geta, would they kick them off before hitting, if that is what they ended up doing?

MSPain
Mike Spain
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

mspain wrote:Just a thought.........

If, in the time getas were worn, someone were accosted while they were wearing geta, would they kick them off before hitting, if that is what they ended up doing?

MSPain
Yes. Watch any yazuka movie....
Bob Nash
omote

Post by omote »

Mr. Nash,

Many is the time, when we were all learning to walk, that you would finish a session by saying, "Okay, now go hit some stuff and figure it out."

What does Takagi sensei say about makiwara and the like. I don't recall seeing anyone at Takagi dojo using anything other than mitts as striking targets, (with the obvious exception of us using each other as makiwara!). I have never heard him mention about it.

Have a great flight!

Jay
Jay Boatright
Florida, USA
andyb28

Post by andyb28 »

In my garage, I have a heavy bag, a "bob" and a Wavemaster freestanding kick bag.

The Wavemaster is by far the most fun thing to work with. The base is full up with water to stop it moving, but when you hit it hard enough it moves, if you hit it high and hard, it rocks. So for two years I have been trying to knock it over using a roundhouse kick. I can get it on a good angle, but have never managed to knock it over. Its obviously easy to knock over with a front/side kick, but I hope one day to be able to do it with my roundhouse :)

The Bob is really good for accuracy, more so because if you hit his nose or chin directly, they are hard and it hurts your feet, so I try to aim for the jawline and think this is good practice.
Andy Booth
Colchester Traditional Karate Club