Internal Power

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gary

Re: Internal Power

Post by Gary »

And, as an aside, in my experience (particularly involving razor sharp swords), techniques that have a 1,2 timing would probably see you dead (or on your way) after 1.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Umpteen times World champion is irrelevant Ove, tournament kata has always been a questionable exercise in the meat and potatoes work of the dojo environment that often requires an adjustment in belief or at least in tolerance. The real issue here though is the illusion of power and being as the hustings here are very much a Wado ryu forum it will very likely be judged from a Wado perspective rather than having only a tournament relevance.

Chambering like we see here though Gary is very much a moot and misunderstood point in general in karate and I agree with your wado perspective. It is obvious though that Mr Diaz is not a wado ryu stylist so we know going in that were not going to be judging apples with apples (there's that tolerance I mentioned that is almost becoming de rigueur in wado ryu :-) ) so having said that, I still think that from any perspective the point being made by Inoue sensei about throwing rocks in one's own path by opting for the illusion of power is well made.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote: In Ohgami's book he writes:

This block should go directly from your side so you should avoid any unnecessary delay in time. It’s why this block is performed like uchi-waza and has the effect of both block and attack.
Sometimes this is a very small world filled with 6 degrees of separation...lol.
Gary, you are quoting Ohgami to one of Ohgami's former senior students. Ove started training with Ohgami before most of us were born. :)
And in Ove's defense he agrees with my view of kata in terms of competition.

I think the difference in Antonio's technique vs - I don't know...since most people in the Wadokai are not at his level...but let's say someone like Furuhashi for example (trying to think of someone who is about the same age and same level of experience) is that the basic paradigm for Shitoryu is that you are fighting someone who is empty handed vs in Wado where the opponent has a bladed weapon. The difference in a few seconds may or may not matter in the first model so you go for power. In the second model being second will suck really bad (you get stabbed or cut) so you are willing to sacrifice power for speed and total body evasion. Of course if you can combine speed plus total body evasion plus power then so much the better but then you are entering a whole different realm of ability.
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

Gusei21 wrote:Sometimes this is a very small world filled with 6 degrees of separation...lol.
Gary, you are quoting Ohgami to one of Ohgami's former senior students. Ove started training with Ohgami before most of us were born. :)
And in Ove's defense he agrees with my view of kata in terms of competition.
Well I guess there are only so many ways you can say the same thing!
I think the difference in Antonio's technique vs - I don't know...since most people in the Wadokai are not at his level...but let's say someone like Furuhashi for example (trying to think of someone who is about the same age and same level of experience) is that the basic paradigm for Shitoryu is that you are fighting someone who is empty handed vs in Wado where the opponent has a bladed weapon. The difference in a few seconds may or may not matter in the first model so you go for power. In the second model being second will suck really bad (you get stabbed or cut) so you are willing to sacrifice power for speed and total body evasion. Of course if you can combine speed plus total body evasion plus power then so much the better but then you are entering a whole different realm of ability.
I thought it relevant to mention on a thread about internal power!

Sometimes, what looks more powerful from the outside - doesn't always do what is says on the tin. I think this is particularly true in Wado kata, where more and more these days we see competitors trying to "make" their moves look more powerful. To me this a paradox because, as a spectator, if I can see the additional movement / excess energy then so can any opponent!

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote:

I thought it relevant to mention on a thread about internal power!

Gary
Absolutely!

The other day I came across a great video on youtube. It shows Japanese physicists analyzing Okamoto Sensei of Daito ryu. They are explaining the physics of aikiage and aikisage which are in my opinion two fundamental movements that should be mastered by all who engage in Japanese Budo.
Unfortunately it is in Japanese. When I get 30 mins of free time I will translate it and post the video here. I think it will be of interest for many of you. In the meantime you can google Seigo Okamoto of Daito ryu Roppokai. It looks fake....but it isn't. All based on subtle body movement and a deep understanding of how the opponent reacts to incoming force.
I should be able to get to it by this weekend? (I am procrastinating putting up the notes from the Berlin seminar....it is more difficult than I thought. Too much stuff...)
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

Of course, we see Aikiage in Idori (Te-dori).

In the Daito group that I trained with briefly, they used to refer to that movement as “Asagao" or morning glory flower. Hakoishi sensei refers to it as "washing your face". Either way, its about the "shape" you perform whilst doing the technique.

And again, it's about the correct linkage through the body to its centre, combined with the effect of meeting the opponent’s technique as it lands.

Steve Delaney is back from Japan for a couple of weeks and we have been lucky enough to have him do a couple of sessions at the Walton club. As well as kenjutsu Kihon, tonight we practiced some very basic Tenuki. He makes techniques look so ridiculously easy (and they are super effective I can tell you after being on the receiving end of them for most of this evening!!).

We can all see what he is doing - but apart from that, when we do it ourselves, we are just mimicking really.

Never mind.

Gary
Last edited by Gary on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Gary

Post by Gary »

And I'd just like to apologise for my poor vocabulary.

When I used the word intonation I actually meant cadence.

Sorry for the confusion.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Simao Mate

Post by Simao Mate »

Hello everyone very interesting post!
In China when someone using the word internal power they meaning ''Chi'' ,as everyone knows,and the exercises that can increase it.This exercises called ''Nei Kung'' and they are combination of special breathing with body movements and mind focus.
Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVdhKVb9WE

As far as I know those kind of exercises don’t include in our Wado right?So we can talk about Wado and internal power or not?
Simao Mate
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Can you update your signature with your full name please. I know your log in name may be your name, but the convention here is to have it at the bottom of all posts.

Thank you for joining and contributing.

(Test edit)
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Simao Mate wrote:Hello everyone very interesting post!
In China when someone using the word internal power they meaning ''Chi'' ,as everyone knows,and the exercises that can increase it.This exercises called ''Nei Kung'' and they are combination of special breathing with body movements and mind focus.
Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVdhKVb9WE

As far as I know those kind of exercises don’t include in our Wado right?So we can talk about Wado and internal power or not?
For me, I have a hard time accepting this.
But that is just me.
My gut reaction is that I think David Copperfield does it better.
My internal arts view is that this stuff has to make a more powerful version of me.
Perhaps I am being small minded but it will not be the first time I am accused of that.
Nothing in that video fits my model of internal power but it's a big playground so...
In my opinion he has some stuff but he has then leveraged parlour tricks into his act so he lost me.
Bob Nash