Internal Power

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Internal Power

Post by wadoka »

I'm not sure why anyone would click dislike against the video.

He looked fit and as sharp as anything through training.

(quick edit to test it works)
Last edited by wadoka on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: testing web site
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Diversion

Otsuka Sensei has a really cool behind the back kotegaeshi move. He looks one way and throws the person behind him with a kotegaeshi.

Several years ago I spent some time in pursuit of that technique and figured out how to do it.
Instead of giving everything away - which some of you frown upon :)...
I will give you the pieces to set you on your way.

In order to replicate that move you have to be able to do more than just kotegaeshi. You also have to know how to transfer a part of your mass into your opponent.
A simple kotegashi will not send the person flying thru the air, especially if you are doing it behind your back.
What is required is a subtle but effective mass transfer after you engage the initial kotegaeshi lock.

There is a long video on youtube. Go to almost the end - about 19:18.
Hiroshi Ikeda, 7th dan of Boulder Colorado Aikikai is demonstrating how he transfers his weight into the uke.
The uke grabs Ikeda Sensei's wrist and the uke crumbles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97R47-zk ... ture=share

More on Ikeda Sensei. Ikeda has been exploring internal power for the past several years and is able to manifest it in his techniques unlike most of the aikido population.
(Sidenote. Kazutaka Otsuka trained in aikido with Ikeda while he lived in the US. )

Ikeda shows how he easily transfers his mass into the extremities of his uke thus unbalancing him.
Now take that exact technique but instead of having someone grab you, apply a kotegashi to your uke and THEN transfer your mass into the uke's wrist.
Next thing you know you have a human projectile - or a broken wrist.

And that is what is happening in Otsuka Sensei's behind the back kotegaeshi.

Again, it's all internal stuff.

No magic. Just superior body control. Learning how to control your internal fascial tissues, muscles through intent is the key while maintaining Ten Chi Jin as you are fully connected and operating from your tanden.

There is kotegashi and then there is kotegaeshi. Huge difference. Which do you want to do? The answer for me is obvious.

P.S. In the video there is a bit of weight that is unaccounted for.
The reason for this I think is because the model is not static. Intent is like a flowing river.
There is acceleration. There is flow. So a quick acceleration in the transfer process can affect the variance in mass - I think.
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

Is it just me, or does the guy that Inoue Sensei have demo techniques in the first vid add an intonation to his techniques?
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

You need to train with Kazutaka Sensei on our summer course then :-)

I won't say any more.
Gary

Post by Gary »

wadoka wrote:You need to train with Kazutaka Sensei on our summer course then :-)

I won't say any more.
If it's about adding intonation to your techniques, then I'll probably give it a miss!

I got a Shito-ryu dojo just down the road from me that have being doing that for years lol.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote:Is it just me, or does the guy that Inoue Sensei have demo techniques in the first vid add an intonation to his techniques?
I'm not sure if I am reading your message correctly but....if you are referring to the sound that Antonio is making.....Inoue Sensei is asking him to do that on purpose to show a bad example. The good example is where he doesn't make a noise. Inoue Sensei is showing that the technique done without noise is clearly faster and superior....
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

It's more to do with the timing of his technique.

To me it looks as though the guys technique is done as a 1,2 as opposed to 1, if that make sense.

[edit] His fist travels backward before travelling to the target. Now I may be missing something, that may be part of the exercise too.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
KarateREF

Post by KarateREF »

" the guys technique is done as a 1,2"

Well the guy is the 2 time world Kata Champion, Antonio Diaz, I do not think many guy´s techniqe is much better than this?
(exept Rika Usami i guess)

O.Viggedal
Ove Viggedal
WKF Karate Referee
Gary

Post by Gary »

Actually, I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just highlighting something that is not so common in Wado perhaps.

As I understand it, in Wado we try to take out unnecesary movements (altough the same intention / power generation may be achieved).

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Gary

Post by Gary »

These things take a while to percolate through my little brain sometimes lol...

It's the action that reminds me of the movement in Pinan Godan, where one performs harai-uchi/uke chudan in Shizentai (immediately after the gedan-bariai in shikodachi)...

Seems so natural to want to pull your fist across your centre before letting rip (after all, it adds to the acceleration of the techniques doesn't it?), but we all know that's incorrect.

In Ohgami's book he writes:

This block should go directly from your side so you should avoid any unnecessary delay in time. It’s why this block is performed like uchi-waza and has the effect of both block and attack.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会