Spammers and countermeasures

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Spammers and countermeasures

Post by wadoka »

A bit boring this but I have seen many automated registrations to the web site and they have been posting rubbish links.

You don't see them as they are held in a moderation queue and I get the lovely task of reviewing and then deleting them.

I deleted a batch of registrations today. It may be that there was a real one amongst there, so if there was then they can contact me and I can add them manually, maybe.
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Spammers and countermeasures

Post by wadoka »

I have disable new registrations for the time being.

If you are wanting to join, I may get round to re-enabling this after the weekend. Seems like the auto registrations are coming in from Russia.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

For the moment I can add people directly if you give me your email address to gordon@wado.co.uk

Hopefully the spambots will get bored here and move on.
metalfury

Post by metalfury »

I've installed some code on my servers that blocks the IP address of anyone that goes to a particular folder.

The robots.txt file tells search engine spiders to not go to that folder, if the robots.txt file is ignored (which spammers do) they are blocked completely from the site.

The blocking is achieved by writing the IP address to the HTAccess file. You could also add some IP addresses to the HTAccess file yourself if you have some data from the spam applications.

If this is something you are interested in let me know and I'll find the site I downloaded the code from.

It may not help immediately with the spam registrations, but may reduce it in the long term.
--------------
Rob Barrett
UK