Help understanding Kime

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Help understanding Kime

Post by oneya »

Thank you Gordon, this ether speak sometimes misses me by a mile..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Jesse Enkamp began in Yui shin kai as founded by Inoue Sensei. It could be seen as a distant nephew of Wado ryu if we think of Shindo Jinen Ryu as a Half Brother of sorts. However, he is an eclectic in many respects and trains in karate however and whenever; one of those who follow the creed that there is only good and bad karate.

24 fighting Chickens is primarily about Shotokan Ryu but the person who runs it, Rob Redmond, is a maverick of sorts and does not tow the line. He is about debunking much of what can be perceived as ‘wrong’ in Shotokan as he is about defending where it has got things right.

All in all definitely not Wado Ryu.

I have to admit I have always encountered kime as to mean "set" such as when you set yourself in a stance. I just thought it meant to come to the proper conclusion of a technique; like tensing the arms in the muscles to prevent hyper-extension of the joints. Like setting your self in the proper structure for that moment. It seems I have very much under thought the subject.
R. Keith Williams
Gary

Post by Gary »

To be clear, I was aware that the Karate by Jesse author wasn’t a Wado-ka.

I simply posted the link as I thought it made interesting reading.

As Reg alludes to, there is much more to Kime than the physical, and perhaps we are all guilty of “under thinking” on the subject when it comes to our everyday training.

I know I probably am.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
jacob

Post by jacob »

Thanks for your replies.

I like the scientific (Physics) approach as it makes sense to me (ie: Newtons Laws).. Sorry Oneya ‘ki ken tai no ichi' or perhaps ' ichi go ichi e' are a bit too advanced for me at this stage of my Wado journey.

Jacob Haliday
oneya

Post by oneya »

Please don't apologise Jacob, how you decide to train is your concern but you should know that wado ryu is predicated on the notion of 'ki ken tai no ichi' or bringing one's 'mind, body and spirit' into an accord . It is a basic concept without which you are not practicing wado ryu.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
metalfury

Post by metalfury »

Same as Gary; I know 24 Fighting chickens is a Shotokan site, the article was posted for interesting reading and in particular the science side of things.

Many of the issue Rob Redmond tackles can also be found in Wado dojos - the site is worth exploring if you have a quiet lunch time in the office.
--------------
Rob Barrett
UK