Sanbon Jodan Uke #3

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

Re: Sanbon Jodan Uke #3

Post by majin29 »

Not that I put a lot of emphasis on watching videos since I go to Wado twice per week and I'm upping that to three times this Fall, but are there any really GOOD examples of these and more Wado techniques on say, YouTube? I've seen ones of Ohstuka and Suzuki sensei so I'm assuming they are pretty good seeing that the former is the originator of the style and the latter was one of his original students....then again, Suzuki sensei applied these so quickly it's hard to see the details in his technique. Three of my sensei's studied with him and they all said he was fast as all get out, even in his twilight years....impressive.

I was going to ask about Oyo #2 having just come back from class but I don't want to create any misunderstandings so I will save my questions for next class- which will be tough as we have a 2 week break between semesters here and Sensei Wicks' seminar is before I get back to class. Lot of home training and Japanese terminology to ground in my 44 year old brain before then. Don't want to look like buffoon after all.
David Coscina
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Gusei21 wrote: You offer your proposal of the name change from Tobikomi Nagashizuki and I will propose monkey butt.
Let's see if any of ours has a chance of acceptance.
For the sake of worldpeace, let's find a common solution. I propose Tobimonkey Nagashibutt.
;-)
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

majin29 wrote: are there any really GOOD examples of these and more Wado techniques on say, YouTube?
Video is full of pitfalls.
1: Many techniques have to be felt rather than seen in order to understand the experience.
2: Many techniques are so subtle that video won't convey it.
3: Everyone develops in his own personal way. While you need to adhere to kihon, it is pretty clear that we're not all exact copies of eachother. So to an extend, all footage is personal.
4: No one is perfect. We're all just ploughing along on our own journey. So there's no such thing as a perfect perfomance.
5: Footage may be taken out of context. Sometimes an instructor makes mistakes on purpose, to make a point.

That said, video CAN be useful, when you avoid the pitfalls.
I sometimes ask my students to look at a particular video, in order to get a point across. It may also be useful to shoot footage of yourself to examine your own technique. Very humbling, I can tell you. Especially when compared to someone who is further along the road. Just don't post it on YouTube. ;-)
You can also compare performances, to examine the differences. This will raise a lot of interesting questions which may open new paths for you.

But there's one thing that video can NEVER do: to replace your instructor.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
shep

Post by shep »

Thought I'd put my observations down - going back to the original thread title specifically relating to Sanbon Jodan Uke 3 would it be fair to say that there is a different dynamic going on anyway as opposed to nagashi zuki in kihon waza up and down the dojo from shizentai. For a start your right moves back diagnally accross your own center line - you have something of a backward momentum making it more challenging anyway (I'm thinking of balance).Just my thoughts

Shep
Last edited by shep on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majin29

Post by majin29 »

shep wrote:Thought I'd put my observations down - going back to the original thread title specifically relating to Sanabon Jodan Uke 3 would it be fair to say that there is a different dynamic going on anyway as opposed to nagashi zuki in kihon waza up and down the dojo from shizentai. For a start your right moves back diagnally accross your own center line - you have something of a backward momentum making it more challenging anyway (I'm thinking of balance).Just my thoughts

Shep
I totally concur. I guess this is conflicting for me at this stage because unlike tobikomizuki which as oneya noted earlier is an attack, nagashizuki is more defense/counter attack. Ah well, I'm a little confused but I'll get it sorted out. Thanks all for your comments and input. Much appreciated.
David Coscina
shep

Post by shep »

For those forum members who dont practice these

shep
majin29

Post by majin29 »

shep wrote:For those forum members who dont practice these

shep
Okay this video demo makes more sense. We are taught to catch or intercept the lunge punch at the wrist or forearm but That trajectory seems to make it impossible to strike the attacker- its more like a block to me. This video illustrates it much better for me.

Thanks for posting.
David Coscina
shep

Post by shep »

Hi Maijin

But as already mentioned, there is no substitute for your own sensei

shep
AG1

Post by AG1 »

I totally concur. I guess this is conflicting for me at this stage because unlike tobikomizuki which as oneya noted earlier is an attack, nagashizuki is more defense/counter attack. Ah well, I'm a little confused but I'll get it sorted out. Thanks all for your comments and input. Much appreciated.
My piece of advice: you should stop trying to intellectualize this stuff so much and just practice. Suzuki Sensei's standard response to any inquiry would be to make you repeat the technique dozens of times (no!! again!!), until your body (not your mind) understood...rather than giving you a verbal answer. Take advantage of the visit by Jon Wicks and make every effort to attend seminars by senior Wado instructors. But, at your level, you need to stick with either WIKF, wadoryu or wadokai teachings because as you can see we all have different approaches to technique and that can get very confusing...
Arturo Girona
Wado Kokusai KarateDo Renmei
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Arturo,

No we don't.
It is the same.
If there differences then it has to do with your level of understanding.
And yes, looks like David should just do...
Wadoryu, WIKF and Wadokai are all on the same page about this.
Different instructors might emphasis different things but that again has to do with the audience we happen to be addressing.
Reg was one of the senior instructors in the WIKF. Him and I are exactly on the same page.
And I am on the same page as other senior Wadoryu instructors.
I have met some Wadokai instructors who do strange things just like I have met WIKF instructors who do strange things.
But at the end of the day we have to be on the same page.
Unless of course you are talking about the particulars of sanbon jodan uke #3 which is the product of Suzuki Sensei's insight.
I am talking about the essense of tobikomizuki or nagashizuki. In that we should be on the same page and if we are not on the same page then someone is doing it incorrectly.

I should also add that not only is Reg on the same page but in fact I am learning from him. He knows a lot more than he is putting on...
Bob Nash