Sanbon Jodan Uke #3

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: Sanbon Jodan Uke #3

Post by Gusei21 »

By the way...you said parrying for nagashi?
I said slipping. That was intentional.
Parry implies physical contact as you enter I think.
Nagashizuki is done without any physical contact in the entry but it CAN be an option.
It is a choice. But once you say parry then you are stuck with contact and you put limitations on Nagashizuki.
Think instead of the word flow. You flow in. Flow is nagashi. So you flow by...with or without parry.
Hitting head on is not flowing.
Ok. So perhaps monkey butt is also too limiting....
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

Gusei21 wrote:
Now here is something to chew on.
Whether you do tobikomizuki or nagashizuki the advanced practitioner never goes outside his body. He never extends into his opponent.
He stays within himself. What sucks for the other guy is that he is still getting mashed. If you extend beyond yourself then the impact is weak.
Isn't that correct, Reg? By staying in yourself you have more power. You are the center of the universe!!!
See...I am learning :)
Yep, and one way of going beyond your body is to stamp one's energy into the ground in tobikomizuki, a wasteful action that will lessen any impact. In nagasu where an element of energy may already be deployed in noru, any further lead filled front foot will nullify much of the residual power and you may ensure your own defeat by becoming stuck..

The no-tsukomu element in both tobikomu and nagasu allows one to stay within the body - as long as one understands how not to waste energy.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Energy that has been transformed into noise has lost its potential. My little physics pun there.
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

oneya wrote:
Gusei21 wrote:

The no-tsukomu element in both tobikomu and nagasu allows one to stay within the body - as long as one understands how not to waste energy.

oneya
Wow...yes...I get it...tsukkomi equals ten chi jin in this context. Projecting force up and down simultaneously without leaving your center.
Sort of that pose Uyeshiba makes at the end of his technique. That John Travolta Saturday night fever one finger pointing up and one finger pointing down.
Opposing forces.
I was looking at Takagi Sensei's kihon kumite 7 the other day and I see the same thing.
The opponent explodes upon impact. He remains the same. He just is. They collide into him and they end up bursting in flames so to speak. He is just standing there with a smile on his face.
He did not go out of his way to attack them. He just lurched forwards and they collided. He stayed in his universe the whole time and that is what created the huge power surge.

Reg, you can't sit on this stuff....
Bob Nash
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

wadoka wrote:Energy that has been transformed into noise has lost its potential. My little physics pun there.
Right..hence..just say no to bunny hops...
It is easy to rip apart someone's technique. It is hard to do it correctly....But first you have to know when you suck.
The older I get the harder it gets. Not because the body get old but because you learn more stuff and the more you know the more you realize you suck.
This is frustrating because I wish I knew what I know now when I was 20. This is so wrong....
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

I really don't mean to sit on anything Bob but there are too many apostles on the hustings already. I'm just an old fella on the far underside of the world and, it really is all - as you say - a work in progress. When I think of it though, had the technique been called nagashizuki no tsukomi I doubt I would have opened this can of worms in the first place.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

oneya

Post by oneya »

Gusei21 wrote:
oneya wrote:
Gusei21 wrote:

oneya
Wow...yes...I get it...tsukkomi equals ten chi jin in this context. Projecting force up and down simultaneously without leaving your center.
Sort of that pose Uyeshiba makes at the end of his technique. That John Travolta Saturday night fever one finger pointing up and one finger pointing down.
Opposing forces.
It starts earlier in the 'official' nine kata but I can see Travolta doing a very creditable manji uke in Chinto kata too.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

oneya

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:Energy that has been transformed into noise has lost its potential. My little physics pun there.

Lovely tactful diplomacy Gordon but it might well play havoc with some folk's understanding of kiai.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Oh no, not the silent kiai thread again.
oneya

Post by oneya »

Ah well, the old Comrade has been quoted before Gordon: "Everything is connected to everything else."

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.