A funny

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

A funny

Post by Gusei21 »

Hi there,

I just found this amusing and had to share. This is not exclusive to Tai Chi. I see it alot in Wadoland.

Q_ How many Taiji players does it take to change a lightbulb?

A_ 31
One to change the bulb and 30 others to stand around saying "Well we do it differently in our school."
Bob Nash
Tim49

Re: A funny

Post by Tim49 »

Gusei21 wrote:Hi there,

I just found this amusing and had to share. This is not exclusive to Tai Chi. I see it alot in Wadoland.

Q_ How many Taiji players does it take to change a lightbulb?

A_ 31
One to change the bulb and 30 others to stand around saying "Well we do it differently in our school."
Yes but if the terminals don’t line up you’ll all live in a world of permanent darkness.

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
oneya

Post by oneya »

Perhaps one man's wado darkness is another man's wado light.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

oneya wrote:Perhaps one man's wado darkness is another man's wado light.?

oneya
I think it is more like everyone thinks they are working in a well lit room including myself.
I was in England the other week and my observation about that place: Many people there live in bubbles....and they are quite happy in their bubbles.
What I don't get is why there are so many self contained bubbles. No one travels down the road to mingle with other bubbles. Or that is how it seemed to me. When I suggest to people that they train with people outside their bubble like Tim Shaw or Gordon Fong or Jamie Jewell or others I get this blank look on their faces like..who? No one seems to know the people I know. Bubble syndrome.
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

Well viewed from down under Bob it is interesting to see how the sleight of mouth profusion of home grown Shogo titles proclaim their rightful hereditary & fiefdoms to the children so perhaps crusades and antithetic collectives are probably something to guard against for them.

I fully expect to see a ‘Daimyo’ shogo title ratified in the near future.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gary

Post by Gary »

This post has kinda narked me a little.

It smells a bit of "if you don't train with x,y,z" then you are naive!

I take exception to that.

Just my thoughts.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote:This post has kinda narked me a little.

It smells a bit of "if you don't train with x,y,z" then you are naive!

I take exception to that.

Just my thoughts.

Gary
Let's see if you are still narked after this.
What I meant to say was this.
Why don't these people in the bubble know these other people at least by name?
No one knows anyone else it seems like.
I am not saying you have to train with them. What I am saying is that people seem to be living in their self sufficient bubble with no recognition of the other bubbles.
And that is a form of inbreeding because there is no peer review. Things are done in isolation. Happy naive isolation.
Some people never heard of Suzuki Sensei or considered ever training with him. I mean...how is this possible?
Perhaps this shows how much Wado has spread across the UK. So much so that these bubbles have now become totally isolated.
Still narked?
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

With the greatest of respect Bob, how do you know that?

Actually, I think that in the most part, you will find we know each other quite well (in varying degrees).

What baffles me is quite how you have that perception of Wado in the UK as viewed from Seattle?

Not seeking contention here Bob, but you do have a way of suggesting we are a bit crap here in the UK!

Maybe it’s who you go and train with?

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote:With the greatest of respect Bob, how do you know that?

Actually, I think that in the most part, you will find we know each other quite well (in varying degrees).

What baffles me is quite how you have that perception of Wado in the UK as viewed from Seattle?

Not seeking contention here Bob, but you do have a way of suggesting we are a bit crap here in the UK!

Maybe it’s who you go and train with?

Gary
Hi Gary,

So I see you are still narked. I had to look up that word in the online Oxford Dictionary.
Perhaps it might have to do with the people I meet?
There seems to be a lot of kingdoms over there that don't quite interact for one reason or another.
Geography? People don't like to travel much? You don't have the large freeways that we have over here?
Perhaps it has a lot to do with who I train with. But it is rather surprising considering we are in the age of the internet.
View from Seattle? Dude, I am in Europe at least nine times a year in all sorts of countries including yours and have met more Wado people than the average Wado people meet in a lifetime. I do find it strange when I go to Sweden and I meet some Wado person who had never trained or has a desire to train with Sensei Ohgami. That is weird to me. When I go to the UK and find some Wado person who has never heard of some of my friends ...or Suzuki Sensei that is weird to me. That is not to imply that everyone in the UK is like that but compared to other places I have been, a big definite yes. But that does not mean they are crap. There is crap in every country including Japan. So again I say in my experience after traveling throughout Europe I see more bubbles in the UK than in other places. But like I also said perhaps this is due to the fact that Wado has been there for so long that it has managed to splinter many times over and you have many many branches hanging of the tree compared to other countries. I stand by what I say. And no you are not crap. But perhaps a tad bit sensitive?
Bob Nash
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

I side with Bob on this one.
I can't say much about the UK. But I can speak for the European mainland, the Netherlands specifically. Having been captured in a bubble myself for many years, I know what Bob is talking about. Actually, it took meeting some of the people currently on this board to make me realize I was in a bubble in the first place.
I have to admit that even on this board there are people from my country that I never met. And it's not as if the Netherlands is such a big country. Is it their fault or mine? Or both perhaps? I don't know. But bubbles definitely do exist.
Is it up to an outsider to comment on it? I'd say yes, because some things look a lot clearer from the outside looking in...

BTW, does anyone know of a wado group on the island of Crete? I'll be spending the next 4 weeks there. Might as well take the opportunity to pop a bubble. ;-)
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/