A funny

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Craven

Re: A funny

Post by Craven »

The problem here in England with ‘Wado-Kai England’ which, as far as I’m aware, has been going on for a few years, is there seems to be two JKF Wado-Kai groups. One group is connected to Mr Sakagami and one is connected to Mr Ohgami, via the Swedish Wado-Kai. The squad training has been arranged by one group and the seminar has been arranged by the other. Mr Sakagami has said (This is not official but I am sure he won’t mind me saying) that he is quite happy for any of his students to train with any other instructor and he is also happy for any one regardless of their affiliation to train with him. Personally I no longer have any interest in competition so I try to attend as many seminars as I can and (sorry sounds like I’m bragging) I have trained with 6 different Japanese instructors in the last 12 months and I am a member of Aiwakai (Mr Sakagami’s group). I think this is all to do with political games and I also think this is why people are put off and remain in their ‘bubble’ as they don’t want to play politics they just want to train.
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Hello David,

In all fairness I think Barry Wilkerson also has a Wadokai group.
Or were you referring to the FEW/FWE split with Sakagami Sensei in one and Ohgami/Wilkerson Sensei in the other?
I don't see any problem with multiple Wadokai groups. And I don't expect them to get along. Here in the US we don't get along.
In a perfect world that is not ideal but in all honesty I don't want to get along with them and I am sure they don't want to get along with me.
Coexistence. Reg talked about vanity earlier. Perhaps it contributes to the issue and we are all guilty of vanity to a certain extent?
But individual differences must be put aside when the big bosses show up. They are here to promote the art. I will train side by side with anybody under any big boss.
It's like a family. They can hate each other but when the parents show up they need to come together and play nice with each other.
If I can train side by side with a white supremacist ultra right wing sociopath then I can train next to anyone. (Did that once when Shiomitsu Sensei was teaching.)
My point is that regardless of differences there is no excuse for the various Wadokai factions to stay away from the Wadokai event in Tyne Tees (love that name) or Southampton England because the head of the Technical committee is teaching. Learning Wado should always take precedence over domestic squabbles and for people in my group (Wadokai) to find reasons to avoid either of these two seminars because of 'personal issues' angers me.
I realize that earlier I stated that this would never happen in the WIKF or the Wado Academy. I believe it to be the case. But I also realize that the WIKF and Wado Academy are not as factionalized as the Wadokai. And for me, ironically, one of the beauties about the Wadokai is the reality that we CAN be factionalized. We DON'T have to get along. Everyone is free to pursue their vision of Wado. But by the same token this freedom should be balanced by the realization that we still need to come together when the bosses organize or teach. Otherwise why bother being in the Wadokai? Just do your own thing. Start your own Wado faction outside of the Wadokai. Go join the Academy or the WIKF. They have good things to offer.
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Bob,

For the record, Barry Wilkinson's group has an annual course in Lyme Regis on the weekend of Jamie's course. It's pretty much the same weekend every year (and has been for donkeys).

That said - I know of a few folk that are coming to Jamie's course - so I don't think there is any problem with it.

Not so much bubbles (or politics), as much as not enough weekends in the year maybe?

Gary
Last edited by Gary on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary,

I love your idioms. Thanks to you and google my English vocabulary is being enriched. (Donkeys).

Nice! No sarcasm intended.
Last time I was on a plane from England I sat next to a woman from Tennessee who complained that her English was not understood by the Brits.
I can't do justice to her dialect so I won't bother but I am sure it was quite the sight watching two English people trying to figure out what the other was saying.
I also remember sitting in a restaurant in Nashville being flabbergasted by a Chinese immigrant speaking English with a Southern accent asking us if 'yawl enjoyed your food'.
So I politely responded, 'did you just say yawl'?
Gotta love it...

oh..apologies.. Barry Wilkinson, not Wilkerson. I make that mistake all the time.
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

Blige!!

You should meet me in real life fella, then your vocabulary would be enriched to the point of overload lol. ;)

Gary

PS, Urban dictionary is your friend. (over 18's only)
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

steveig wrote:
oneya wrote:Well it looks like you lot are not the bubble people Bob is talking about then, that's good to know but don't wait for a seminar to train at San no Ya dojo... Our dojo doors are always open...

oneya
I would love to take a few weeks out and come over, maybe one day.

We will still be open Steve..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

This thread doesn't do justice to the subject title. There is a lot of misleading information too. Its a shame because a lot of people have and are, going to a lot of effort to host and support this event with Takagi and Kato.

Lets clarify the JKF Wadokai members. There are about a dozen branches in the UK. Aiwakai has the bulk of these, then there are two within Tyne Tees JKF Wadokai, two in Northern Ireland, one in Southampton and one in Manchester. Over the past few years, I have seen representatives of each of these groups supporting one anothers events and I don't forsee any change to this come September. I've also seen folks from outside of these official branches joining the training simply because they are interested and want to progress.

The confusion here seems to be to do with the umbrella groups who use one or other of the UK home nation names within their title. These tend to exist as clusters for competition not for technical training. None of these entities are JKF registered branches. Same applies to the various European groups - they are clusters for competition, some of whom also hold JKF branch membership. If one of them has squad training on a date clashing with these events, I doubt that will adversely impact on numbers attending the seminars as it is a different interest group.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I also hope that small mindedness and personal agenda do not prevent, spoil or in any way interfere with these events.

Ben
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Hi Ben,

I am going to start a new thread since I don't want this information to get buried under 'funny'.
Specifically I will define who is a JKF Wadokai member.
I will also explain the function and purpose of the branch system from a historic context.
This information needs to be in the public domain to prevent misunderstanding.
Will do that later this afternoon.
For now I will say that anyone who has a JKF Wadokai dan certificate is a JKF Wadokai member whether you belong to a branch or not.
Also anyone who holds a JKF Wadokai membership card is also a member.
The messy part is that not all JKF Wadokai dan holders have a membership card or is in the general membership database.
This is because there was a time in the administrative office when they 'forgot' to issue a membership card when they issued dan certificates.
That was an administrative oversight. Today the office runs like an efficient machine with Mr Shimura and Kato.
Then there are branches listed in the books but were never registered because the proper fees were never paid. So they are on the list but are not official branches.
So there are people out there in the world who think they are branches of the Wadokai but they are really not.
And for the record, Suzuki Sensei was a member of the JKF Wadokai til the day he died.

Back to work...will start a new thread later.
Bob Nash
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

For those of you who remember the American Sitcom ‘Soap’.
This is the story of two organisations, the Wado Kai and the Wado Kai, Wado Kai Japan and Wado kai Europe….”.... “ Confused? You will be!”

I am already.

From my various Wado Kai contacts I pick up the periphery of the latest plot twists and turns. More complicated than a Restoration Drama, with a list of characters bigger than Catch 22.

Tim Shaw
Essex UK
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Tim49 wrote:For those of you who remember the American Sitcom ‘Soap’.
This is the story of two organisations, the Wado Kai and the Wado Kai, Wado Kai Japan and Wado kai Europe….”.... “ Confused? You will be!”

I am already.

From my various Wado Kai contacts I pick up the periphery of the latest plot twists and turns. More complicated than a Restoration Drama, with a list of characters bigger than Catch 22.

Tim Shaw
Essex UK
Yup.
Another reason I need to write this stuff out because too many people in the past have tried to exploit half truths or rumors for their benefit.
But this problem is global in scope, not just a European issue.
Bob Nash