A funny

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: A funny

Post by Gusei21 »

shep wrote:UKKW = United kingdom karatedo Wadokai - Its the original Wado organisation in the UK and use to be UKKF from the 60's. Sensei Dave Allsop is still at the helm.

Question - who are these senior Wadokai Sensei's who forbid their students attending these courses. I have never been stopped from attending anything.

shep
Right Shep...
Let's just say I have a plan and this goes way beyond telling students not to attend which would just be met with a slap on the wrist.
People will say it is none of my business. But it is if you claim to be a member of the Wadokai and act unethically.
Hopefully what I am going to do won't create too much collateral damage (affecting unsuspecting students) but damage has already been done so.
I was named Bin Laden by a lunatic instructor. He was very ethical, just nuts.
At the end of the day we are suppose to be doing Budo. A budoka does not engage in unethical behavior. It is not acceptable.
Bob Nash
Gary

Post by Gary »

I train with who I like.

As Gordon says, economics and circumstances change and frankly time is rarest commodity for me at the moment, but I wouldn’t train with a group that "banned" me from training with whoever I wanted.

I've enjoyed practicing with AJ, have trained alongside Shep and Ben recently and Gordon in the past and of course Jamie is an old friend of mine.

I am sure you are right that there are Bubbles here in the UK, but don't tar us all with the same brush.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
T. Kimura

Post by T. Kimura »

Gary wrote:I train with who I like.

Gary

BRAVO. That is the only way to train. As far as I can remember, I don't think anyone has ever told me not to train with someone; and I do not remember ever being refused an opportunity to train. And 95% of the time you learn something and make a friend--even if it is just for that day.
All Blessings, C. Tak Kimura
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

A bubble doesn't necessarily form as a result of people being stopped to attend anything else. That's not always how it works. I myself have never been stopped from attending other courses. Frankly, I would never have accepted it if that was the case.
A bubble is often a sort of reality distortion field. Remember Steve Job's famed reality distortion field? He was able to make everyone in his vicinity rave about Apple products. It's not as if he forbid anyone to buy a PC. But it simply didn't enter the mind of anyone near him.
I guess Shintani was an extreme example of that in the world of wado. If I were a Shintani student, I would never go train elsewhere, if only because I would get laughed out of the dojo. From inside your own bubble, everyone else looks weird. It takes some real guts to step out of your bubble out and try to find out WHY the others look weird. Because as soon as you do that, you will look weird to the people in your own bubble.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Is that all it's about Igor? the way you're perceived by others. I would have thought there was more to it than vanity.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

oneya wrote:Is that all it's about Igor? the way you're perceived by others. I would have thought there was more to it than vanity.
It's not about vanity in the first place. It's about perception.

And it's not so much about other's perception, as well as your own. A bubble alters your own perception. From within the bubble, others look weird. Why engage with people who do weird stuff? Then again, looking from outside in, the stuff going on within the bubble looks pretty weird too.

In fact, I would argue that on this board, we are all contained in the larger wado bubble. From the outside looking in, we're all probably looking pretty weird. I mean, being involved into some arcane martial art that was conceived in some far away country IS pretty weird, isn't it?
Igor Asselbergs
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi Igor,

I remember reading about a 16th century Italian fella who reckoned: ‘The great majority of mankind was satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities' So, with respect, if your reality, in this following passage, is better seen as perception rather than vanity I reckon you may well be among the ‘greater majority’ of mankind.
kyudo wrote: I guess Shintani was an extreme example of that in the world of wado. If I were a Shintani student, I would never go train elsewhere, if only because I would get laughed out of the dojo. From inside your own bubble, everyone else looks weird. It takes some real guts to step out of your bubble out and try to find out WHY the others look weird. Because as soon as you do that, you will look weird to the people in your own bubble.
I have to say though, for my money the whole colour coded martial arts thing has an element of vanity, if not narcissism, in it, but self awareness and integrity in training has the potential to diminish this.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

kyudo

Post by kyudo »

oneya wrote:I remember reading about a 16th century Italian fella who reckoned:‘The great majority of mankind was satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities'
To which this 21st century fella may add: The great majority of mankind is satisfied with realities, as if they aren't illusory. But perhaps I'm drifting off topic here...
Igor Asselbergs
oneya

Post by oneya »

kyudo wrote:
oneya wrote:I remember reading about a 16th century Italian fella who reckoned:‘The great majority of mankind was satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities'
To which this 21st century fella may add: The great majority of mankind is satisfied with realities, as if they aren't illusory. But perhaps I'm drifting off topic here...
Ah don’t fret yourself Igor, we are all guilty of being human to the extent that mentoring sages of the past felt the need to draw a good/evil line in the sand as a reference point for group acceptance pretty much throughout human history.

Ohtsuka meijin raised another weakness of mine by not delivering on his explanation of the Ten Evils of Budo as understood by him earlier in his book and it (vanity) seemed to tie in with Machiavelli’s (16th century) notion back then. I am not sure whether ‘vanity’ was on the wado list but it is (in my opinion) something that we might feel the need to guard against in the teaching of wado ryu.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

This has gone from being funny to becoming pathetic.
Takagi Sensei is teaching in England and attendance by the locals is iffy.
Now I hear that there is squad training for the WadoKai in England on the same weekend?
They should just quit Wadokai.
Can you imagine the WIKF people not attending Suzuki Sensei's seminar because some dimwit coach decided to schedule team training on the same day? No that would have never happened.
This would also never happen in the Wado Academy. So why is the Wadokai in England like this?
What the hell is going on? The head of the Technical committee shows up but many are busy with other karate activities?
There is no justification for this. Unless you have family obligations or have job or financial issues there is no excuse for not showing up. I am getting the feeling that there are a few UK WadoKai instructors who will not support an event unless it puts money into their own pockets and we know who they are. Japan did the right thing by not permitting England to have a country headquarters. The top people would only alienate and exploit the WadoKai membership in its own country. Let's see how many actually show up.
Bob Nash