Insurance claims

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Insurance claims

Post by wadoka »

I was wondering whether anyone has had to make an insurance claim using their policy associated with their karate licence, or a separate policy.

That's not to say that I have or about to, just curious on the scenarios. We tell students that they have to have it, but I never see the fine details of the policy.
kyudo

Re: Insurance claims

Post by kyudo »

Hi Gordon,

Some 15 years ago, when I was an instructor in a commercial dojo, the owner insisted that we (me and my fellow wado instructor) should get a license with the Dutch Karate Federation (KBN) for purpose of his insurance.
Problem, because the powers that be in the federation didn't formally endorse my sensei. Even though many of these people were his students at one time or other. Political stuff...
So we decided to take over the Federation. And we did so. Both me and my colleague became members of the board and we let in a couple more of our friends in through the back door. That was fun. But it also caused a row that led me to step down from the board only a few months later. In any case, since then no-one can accuse me of only delivering critique from the sidelines. :-)

As for insurance...
I later found out ti made no difference at all, legally speaking, whether or not I had a license from the federation.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Thank Igor for the reply.

What I was trying to get out was instances where the insurance policy was called up, whether it was accidentally causing injury in the dojo, at competitions and so on.
dkc

Post by dkc »

i think you will find that most student to student insurance does not cover accidents such as tripping over but only covers if your partner damages you.
This was changed a few years ago to the best of my knowledge.
Your Instrutor policy covers you against your own negligence whilst teaching.
Competition Insurance is a seperate policy if you do competitions.
Also there is a special policy for running courses.
This is how I understand things
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Would the normal insurance not cover you when competing in a competition out of the dojo? Is that your understanding or does the competition organiser has to have their own?
Gary

Post by Gary »

I don't think mine does Gordon.

It is in two sections - Instructor Indemnity and Public Liability.

The Instructors Indemnity is to cover any claims made against you for negligence whilst teaching and the Public Liability covers any damage done (say by one of you students) to the fabric of the dojo or any premises you are hiring.

And that’s about it as I understand it.

Whilst I have never had to make a claim (or no one has tried to claim against me), I have (as decreed under the terms of the policy) had to report an "occurrence" where a student was injured during training and that was a real eye opener...

About 10 years ago, two brown belt adult male students were sparing and one gets kicked in the hand. Basically his fingers folded right back (against the back of his hand) causing the skin on the palm of his hand (along the base of the fingers) to rip open across the entire width of his hand!.

I never seen so much claret it was unreal - and so a trip to A&E was called for where the guy had to have stitches.

Anyway - the guy was a great bloke (ex Suzuki student of many years) - and knew that it was "one of those thing’s” - and had no intension of brining a claim against the club (and never did), but under the terms of my insurance I thought I'd best report the incident, thinking that if he didn’t claim, I wouldn’t hear anything... Wrong!!

The next 6 months were probably the most worrying of my Karate career, as the insurance company bombarded me (and the 2 students) with legal letters, requests for reports and witness statements etc., so much so - that the guy that had kicked the student gave up karate completely!!.

I think it was mainly due to the fact that the guy who had injured his right hand was a SO19 Police officer who, couldn't work for several weeks after the accident (as he couldn't hold a gun I guess).

As I say, nothing came of it, but that was ten years ago and I do wonder whether if it was today, it would be different - when you bear in mind the amount of "ambulance chasing" lawyers we seem to have!

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
dkc

Post by dkc »

I believe the organiser should have "Event Insurance" That is what my insurer offers me anyway.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Gary, that is quite an experience you have had. As you say, I wonder what ambulance chasers would make of things today.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Just don't practice martial arts - they are dangerous...Go figure?
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Gary wrote:Just don't practice martial arts - they are dangerous...Go figure?

I can hear the Guvnor saying "tsk tsk futanren.!!" though Gary..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com