A reminder on full names & site maitenance this weekend

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

A reminder on full names & site maitenance this weekend

Post by wadoka »

This is a reminder that all posts will require a full name to be shown, best to add to your "signature" in your profile.

Also, I might take this opportunity to move the web site onto my new servers in London. I may do this Saturday or Sunday morning, so if you can't access the web site for a few hours, don't worry.
oneya

Re: A reminder on full names & site maitenance this weekend

Post by oneya »

Are we there yet.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I will start the process within the next 30 minutes.

For those with some techie knowledge, I am basically moving the site from a single server running Apache/MySQL in Bournemouth running SATA drives, onto separate Apache and MySQL servers runnign SCSI disks in London. This means changing the DNS, which can mean several hours for the Internet to update and recognise the new location.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

All done now. Just waiting on DNS propagation.
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Thanks Gordon,

All works fine here.
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
shep

Post by shep »

wadoka wrote:I am basically moving the site from a single server running Apache/MySQL in Bournemouth running SATA drives, onto separate Apache and MySQL servers runnign SCSI disks in London. This means changing the DNS, which can mean several hours for the Internet to update and recognise the new location.
You lost me after "I am moving..." :-/

shep
claas

Post by claas »

Hello everyone,

Now that the site has required full name in the signature, I would like to review how we are doing. Was the change for the better or for the worse?

In my opinion for the worse. There is less discussion now. The discussion might be of better quality from a relative perspective but in this case a smaller quantity has meant a smaller amount of good quality discussion. If there ever was a troll, even that brought some very good postings to the forum from others.

Of course now the situatuation is that the forum only has the people as actives (well not that active anymore) who want to sign with their real names, of course the eventual repliers to this post might have a completely different opinion, but I would like to encourage you to review honestly was the change for the better or for the worse.

I think that we as adults should be able to work out a good atmosphere for discussion regardless of names. We actually did relatively well. We should admit responsibility with names or without. And if it is not possible for some, moderation on a small forum like this can't be too demanding either.

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

(Sorry I'm breaking the rules here. Won't do it in any other thread. Of course this post may be deleted and that's OK for me, if wadoka wants it this way.)
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

The really sad thing is that you may well be right Claas which perhaps says much about the relative strengths one is able to draw from wado ryu practice by participants and ex-participants alike. ??

Is it possible for you to give us your reasons for non participation since the change of requirements for signatures.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
claas

Post by claas »

The reason is a gut feeling that I have. I can't be too certain. I have nothing to be afraid of either. The people I train with whom I know are reading the forum knows that claas and me are the same person anyway. But it still has felt like a better thing.

I can try to guess, anyhow.
On another forum I have written with my full name as my nickname. In some way I have had a feeling it has disturbed my training. If it wasn't for the friends I have gained there I would regret my choice to write with my full name. As this is a forum especially for Wado, the disturbing effect might be even bigger. There is no excuse, I'm stupid in this, but this is how it is. Actually I am not so certain about writing in the first place, when I'm thinking about the effects on the training. So the change hasn't actually bothered me that much.

Another thing is that I have thought a lot about separating the training and changing thoughts on a forum. They must be separate. This reality here can never be the same as dojo work. A forum is a place where what is said matters - not who says it. I know one forum, on which the rules are that you should follow dojo hierarchy. It might work for them because it is a closed forum, but on an open forum I guess taking the risk that what you say might suffer critique, even made by an idiot, is a better system. The mechanism still works and some kind of consensus and a better new perspective grows slowly, via more or less well-versed thoughts. Some quantity is needed so that the system can live. A byproduct is still of course all the lower quality stuff. But to be honest the quality was relatively high even before the change.

I would guess that many people have had a feeling that now the writers here are not equal. Of course this is the case anyway, because people know who knows, but since this happens automatically, there is no reason for a move that pushes the forum further in the direction that we have a dojo hierarchy here. I think we should have respect and that we should have fate that enough people will have enough respect towards the lower, the higher and the ones unknown. I think Wado is a healthy enough style and society that it can be written about as openly as possible. I guess the open discussions on different forums so far has actually done a lot more good than bad. We are not a cult and we should never be.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Claas,

I had to read your post several times and I think I still don't get what you are trying to say.
Perhaps you can try to explain it to me SLOWLY next time we see each other.
Perhaps I am tired and my brain is not working properly?
I am not posting because I am too busy and I also don't feel I have anything of value to contribute at this moment.

I support posting full names.
We are doing martial arts. We should not be afraid. And we should accept the consequence for our actions.
All writers are not equal.
Not all opinion has merit.
Most people think their opinion matters.
And at times we can all be full of shit.
Such is life.
Just train and get better. In the process your opinion will hopefully change.
Simple.
Bob Nash