Earthquake

General chat on non-martial arts talk such as wine, food, travel and so on.
Tim49

Earthquake

Post by Tim49 »

As many of us here have contacts with Japan either directly or indirectly. I thought I’d put up a notice of solidarity and heartfelt sympathy for the people of Japan, and in particular the communities affected by the earthquake and resulting tsunami.

Personally I was both horrified and saddened by the recent news images coming out of Japan and I am hoping that further disasters can be averted, particularly the threat to the nuclear power stations.

Tim
shep

Re: Earthquake

Post by shep »

I will second your sentiments there Tim.

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

The contrast between looking at a beautiful picture and all that it encapsulates and emotivates (not sure if a real word) just cannot compare to the sheer horror of even just watching it happen on TV from the other side of the world.
dangars

Post by dangars »

Just seen the videos on the news for the first time, who would have thought water could be that devestating!
oneya

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:Image

The contrast between looking at a beautiful picture and all that it encapsulates and emotivates (not sure if a real word) just cannot compare to the sheer horror of even just watching it happen on TV from the other side of the world.

Good sentiment Tim, I had been pondering whether to bring it further to mind in our small community here.?

Gordon, I suspect we would find many copies of Andō Hiroshige's 'The Wave' in many martial artist's homes and it is fitting here also. It has always reminded me of the enigma that is the essence of seafaring, much like wado ryu. It also has that ability to bind men together in an affinity and an understanding of of the strengths and forces of nature in one's life, much like wado ryu also.

Once more the peoples of Japan has to endure the unendurable, their history shows they have the spirit to do this but it might be appropriate to let them know of our sadness and our sympathies in some way.

Reg Kear
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
steveig

Post by steveig »

From France our thoughts and sympathy goes out to the people of Japan .
Steve Greenwood.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
Craven

Post by Craven »

I would like to express my sincere condolences to the Japanese people and my thoughts are with the families and friends of those killed in this terrible disaster.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/M ... ami-Appeal
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Bournemouth Wado Ryu karate club would like to express its sympathies and condolences to those that have suffered in the wake of the devastating earthquake in Japan.
wa-bournemouth.jpg
wa-bournemouth.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 12004 times
Whilst enjoying a sunny autumn day down on the Bournemouth beach, I felt compelled to draw the kanji for WA in the sand. I absolutely love being by the sand and water. Even in rain or shine, it is beautiful and brings a lot to my life.

It is all too apparent that nature can also bring devastation from the sea as well as beauty.

The club shall hold a few minutes mokuso in rememberance and make a donation to the appeal.
oneya

Post by oneya »

I have just heard some tragic news from a friend - whom we all know - that Dr Hakoishi is missing. He would be a terrible loss to the Wado community but at the moment we can only send our commiserations to the Wado Kai community and join them in hoping for better news

Oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Oneya

Shimura sensei (Wadokai secretary general) has been here in Manchester for the last few days. The Tsunami came after they left Tokyo so I had to show them the news when they woke on Friday morning. Shimura sensei immediately contacted Wadokai office and we got confirmation the next day about everyone apart from Hakoishi sensei but we think that was because of the telephone line disruption. I have tried to contact Hakoishi sensei directly since then but have obviously not got through yet.

Sensei lives in Morioka which is not so close to the sea, so as far as I am aware, the situation is that contact is difficult, rather than he himself is actually missing. I don't want to contemplate the second scenario.

One of the seminar participants on Sunday suggested a collection and we raised £125 for Shimura sensei and Katsube sensei to put into the disaster relief fund on their return. Its not a lot in the scale of things but they appreciated the support.

As soon as I hear anything I will post it here.

Ben