Wado training still going strong

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

Wado training still going strong

Post by majin29 »

Haven't been by this forum for a while (job promotion, lotta work), and my training dipped for a bit while I acclimated to my manager position at my day job. However, I went to class last night and came home totally elated and jazzed. We learned Sanbon Front Kick sets 5 and 6 as well as High Block 2. For the past month or so, we've concentrated on combinations and kata which was also good but I'd be lying if I said it was as interesting as sanbon. To me, what distinguishes Wado from everything I've studied previously is the sanbon and oiyo sets we learn. To me, and I'm still quite the novice at all this, it helps contextualize the basics I'm learning and codifies them. This is what frustrated me for years doing other martial arts- the lack of application. Sparring is all good and well but there are many waza one cannot employ because they would really hurt one's partner. Sanbon allows one to work the mechanics of a technique but obviously not at full force. I get such a profound sense of what this art is by working on these.

Don't get me wrong- I practice my kata daily at home and recognize by sanbon's very nature one needs another to work off of to get its dynamic and flow. But I really really love this about Wado.

On a sidenote, I was able to talk to 3 sensei after class last evening about their experiences with Suzuki sensei. It was amazing to hear their recollections. I also picked their brain about some questions I had about Wado Ryu. I found it really invigorating to hear what they had to say.

I just registered for the Spring classes and have upped my training. I'm convinced I will continue with Wado as long as I live and breath. It's just such a positive aspect on my life. And despite the nature of some of the techniques, I feel so much more at peace. I met up with a friend who is still studying Goju at the school I left and while he's a pretty gentle fellow, some of the stuff he was saying re-affirmed my choice to switch to Wado. The Goju school endorses a more aggressive ideology even if it's more subliminal. Our Wado school is so much the antithesis of aggression and conflict. It's amazing.
David Coscina
shep

Re: Wado training still going strong

Post by shep »

Good to hear your enjoying wado and its challenges so much majin - keep at it

shep
majin29

Post by majin29 »

Just graded and received my Green belt. Training is going well though I need to work on my flexibility. My round house kicks, especially on my right leg, are shall I say underwhelming. Left is good not surprisingly since I'm left handed as well.

Currently working on Pinan Sandan. Enjoyable kata and perhaps a little easier to retain than Pinan Shodan was.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi David, coming from Goju style it is possible that you will find Pinan Nidan - Sandan and Godan a little easier to relate to. Itosu was thought to have created these Pinan set with a broad view of Okinawa te when he devised them for the education of school age students.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:Hi David, coming from Goju style it is possible that you will find Pinan Nidan - Sandan and Godan a little easier to relate to. Itosu was thought to have created these Pinan set with a broad view of Okinawa te when he devised them for the education of school age students.

oneya
Very possible. Don't get me wrong, I just graded and had to perform Pinan Shodan and enjoyed it very much. When I grade, I've never been asked to do a kata over. That is my strong suit because I received good grounding (no pun intended) from my Goju days.

Some of the sanbon kumite are challenging, again because of the lack of flexibility. Any pointers to get those legs looser for Wado?

Thanks kindly!
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

majin29 wrote:
Some of the sanbon kumite are challenging, again because of the lack of flexibility. Any pointers to get those legs looser for Wado?

Thanks kindly!
Hi David,

there’s probably a lot of Goju history still lodged in those legs so probably plenty of stretching instead of strengthening is needed to build speed and flexibility.. One broad brush difference – between wado and Goju - is the difference between a river and a mountain where wado is all about movement so we talk dynamic rather than rooted stance. We do have the connection but the application is a bit different.

Anyway, dynamic., Maegeri is similar to a running action in wado so lift and bring the feet forward rather than lifting the knee up so find a beach for running in the sand. Sand moves away from your feet so your body will learn to move away from the sand rather than push away with the feet. Sprinting – waist or chest deep - in the sea ( or a pool) is also educational. In winter sprinting up a down a grassy hill 50 – 100 times in a Park somewhere is an alternative. Balance is vital in wado so co-ordination and posture is critical. This is renshu so it’s solo training.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com