Responsibilities as an instructor and human being

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Responsibilities as an instructor and human being

Post by wadoka »

It's took me a while to get my head around this particular topic. I didn't know whether it was right or appropriate at first, but I know we are mature enough to engage in discussion, whether it needs discussion, or whether this will be just a short-lived expression of disgust or dismay.

I have just edited two of my other karate web sites to remove the names of two individuals, who I have trained with (not necessarily on a regular basis, but enough to warrant acknowledgement and to be of benefit). Both have been found guilty of crimes including minors. I am choosing my words carefully here.

I am not lost for words, but just deeply saddened.
kyudo

Re: Responsibilities as an instructor and human being

Post by kyudo »

wadoka wrote:Both have been found guilty of crimes including minors.
It's a serious issue in these parts as well. In my town a judo instructor was arrested for taking advantage of his students.
Therefor I always allow and even welcome parents of students in my dojo. Many dojos won't have it for some reason. But I welcome it. I also make sure never to be alone with young girls in my role as sensei. This is to protect myself as well. While there sure are sick individuals who take advantage of young students, there are also kids who make false accusations, intentionally or not...
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
claas

Post by claas »

Principally speaking there is nothing wrong with cooperation with convicted criminals. The legal system is there to punish them. It's just that not many want to do business with people involved in crimes. Organizations also tend to follow some values which many times conflict with criminal activities even outside of the karate context, which off course is a clever choice regarding reputation.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

It is saddening news and I hope the minors affected are given the help they are needed.

In such matters, you can only make use of your own moral compass to decide on a course of action. If I had suffered the misfortune of being associated with such individuals when such a horrible truth had come to light, I believe I too would reduce my public acknowledgement of them. Yet, it must be asked what such a move is beyond face saving in some circumstances. As a karateka you have been influenced by them in your practice of karate, thus you must acknowledge that truth to yourself. The fact they were morally misguided, and perhaps mentally ill depending on ones take on such behaviours, does not change the fact they influenced your practice of karate.

I dislike the use of the example but I was introduced to Hojo Undo by Harry Cook on the one occassion I trained with him. It has left a lasting mark on my karate and I have continued the practice. I will not cease the practice of it simply because of his being a terribly flawed human being, when in the hard light of day it has improved my karate, and I will not deny it was him who piqued my interest in it because that is the truth. I no longer respect the man but I cannot deny he knows his karate, and as an individual the moment I let the failings of another dictate what I state as the truth I will have lost my self respect.

If I was to put a site up stating my karate training history; acknowledgement of his limited but key influence would be reduced to a foot note, but it'd still be there. I am still pragmatic enough to realise such affiliations are terribly damaging even for any innocent party, especially in such circumstances where people make conclusions through power of association.

Again, it comes down to ones own moral compass when deciding on matters when faced with such situations. If we acknowledge what has gone wrong in the community and seek a way to sort it; we might simply be asked, why only now? If we push it to the background, people might ask what we are trying to hide.

Personally, I feel Kyudo/Mr. Asselbergs suggests the best course of action for most of us to follow within the dojo enviroment itself. Simply never be in a situation, or allow a situation to develop, where you or any of your students are vulnerable.
R. Keith Williams
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

First of all let me just clarify that the two individuals have never been associated with my club or the Wado Academy in any way whatsoever. Just in case people read something into my text that is simply not there. One of those individuals has already been named in a previous post above. The other person is someone more local.
oneya

Post by oneya »

two of my other karate web sites
I think this part warrants some chat.? Where d'you find the time.?

As for the main subject, I used to work with the victims of Society's maladjusted and found many instances where 'society's structures and institutions often aided the abuser by their own fears and abetted in some cases by their silence. The law can only be there to deal with the aftermath so there are no preventative measures that I know of and what society has to deal with is punishment after the crime. The law in these cases is often ill equipped to deal with reparation or restitution and prisons are only a holding pattern where the prisoner waits. I don't believe there in a comprehensive answer but awareness and vigilance is a good beginning. I don't teach children now but parental involvement and attendance while children are taught would be a condition if I did.
Last edited by oneya on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

One web site is my own club one and another was where I actually published a long interview I had made when I was a student with one of the people.

To find out that two people I had name-checked was quite an sad eye opener, whilst one would have been bad enough.

I think we do have to be vigilant and more importantly be prepared to challenge.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Although it doesn't have quite the same issues as teaching children (and the responsibilities that go with that), I think teaching adults also has to be considered carefully.

Do you teach Self Defence? - Personally, I wouldn't say I do - and I think you have a duty of care to explain that to everyone that wants to train with you.

You also have to explain that Wado is a process that is never ending - and that's hard to do well without scaring people off too much.

Going back to the teaching kids...

We have a dedicated kids class at the Walton club - and as well as the usual CRB thing that goes with it - we are/have been lucky enough to have some professional teachers and social workers as members of the group to help us out in this area.

Actually - if you follow some very common sense approaches to your teaching, then there should be no problems - and visibility with transparency is the most straight forward of them.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

There are a broad range of issues to consider in relation to this subject. Sports Coach UK run a number of courses to educate coaches on this:

http://www.sportscoachuk.org/

In particular, they have a course called "Safeguarding and Protecting Children". Its a 3 hour course available all over the UK and well worth doing. It's not just about protecting the coach from false accusations, but considers the whole range of responsibilities that go with running sports for under 16's.

Ben