New WadoPedia section

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
kyudo

Re: New WadoPedia section

Post by kyudo »

wadoka wrote:A couple of clicks and that section is open, so it isn't set in stone.
I see your point.
There's nothing wrong in expecting people to make their acquaintance before letting them into your house. However, it they are no member of the forum, they won't even know the content is there and they will have no reason te register. It's the difference between cloaking your door or putting up a sign to ask people to call first.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

dkc wrote:The previous poster said sharing views etc I go along with this idea....and although I know some members dont like it....It is also a source of learning . I know its not the same as in class but we dont all have the access to you very senior grades.I have picked many ideas and points up from reading most of the posts I check ther forum on average 3 times a day.
A last point again im sure unpopular is coul;d new members be made more welcome .If like me they have some lack of knowledge instead of berating them would it not be better to re educate them in a friendly way.I know im not the only one to have been "frightened" to post and put off coming back by some reactions we have recieved.
I am now going to hide in my bunker till it goes quiet again.

Hi DKC,

No acces? It is just à matter of what you are willing to do And give up in order to get it. Public seminars all over THE place :)

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

WadoAJ wrote:
dkc wrote:The previous poster said sharing views etc I go along with this idea....and although I know some members dont like it....It is also a source of learning . I know its not the same as in class but we dont all have the access to you very senior grades.I have picked many ideas and points up from reading most of the posts I check ther forum on average 3 times a day.
A last point again im sure unpopular is coul;d new members be made more welcome .If like me they have some lack of knowledge instead of berating them would it not be better to re educate them in a friendly way.I know im not the only one to have been "frightened" to post and put off coming back by some reactions we have recieved.

Hi DKC,

No acces? It is just à matter of what you are willing to do And give up in order to get it. Public seminars all over THE place :)

AJ
I agree with AJ,
DKC you and your members live in an excellent central location, there have been recent courses with reputable seniors from all major groups in Loughborough, Belper, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. I think here in the UK we are so lucky, at the end of a relatively short drive (tiny distance in respect to some of the distances our brothers and sisters across the pond have to travel) you are in the Dojo training with very senior people. I know AJ wont mind me saying that he has gone to expence and trouble to travel over to the UK from the Netherlands to attend some of these sessions, as have others from continental europe, and as far as I know none of these are closed courses. Also DKC, as you know, just up the road from you is the long established Dojo of one of the late Suzuki Sensei's longest serving seniors.

Last time I was in Derby (December) I must admit that the ring road is a bit of a pest for out of towners, but you locals must be able to find your way out, unless you are all driving round in continous circuits of the Pentagon looking for the exit to Chaddesden, lol.

Tim
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Tim49 wrote:
WadoAJ wrote:

Hi DKC,

AJ
I agree with AJ,
DKC you and your members live in an excellent central location, there have been recent courses with reputable seniors from all major groups in Loughborough, Belper, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. I think here in the UK we are so lucky, at the end of a relatively short drive (tiny distance in respect to some of the distances our brothers and sisters across the pond have to travel) you are in the Dojo training with very senior people. I know AJ wont mind me saying that he has gone to expence and trouble to travel over to the UK from the Netherlands to attend some of these sessions, as have others from continental europe, and as far as I know none of these are closed courses. Also DKC, as you know, just up the road from you is the long established Dojo of one of the late Suzuki Sensei's longest serving seniors.

Last time I was in Derby (December) I must admit that the ring road is a bit of a pest for out of towners, but you locals must be able to find your way out, unless you are all driving round in continous circuits of the Pentagon looking for the exit to Chaddesden, lol.

Tim
Thanks Tim,

thats no problem at all. I was there 2 weeks ago and 4 weeks before that. I'm going again next week and 4 weeks after that. Ok I have to admit, I'm crazy and put nearly everything aside for it. And like a girl said to me tonight, sometimes a little bit too crazy. But hey that hers opinion ;)

AJ
AJ van Dijk

dkc

Post by dkc »

Ok first to Tim I live within 500 yards of the Pentagon in Chaddesden LOL
Most courses you have to belong to the group running them or to the EKF if they are involved they do not allow outsiders and they are not "supposed" to train with non members Rule 21.9 How you get round this I dont know.
Having been bitten by previous Governing Bodys I will not give support to them again.
They are only after money by way of insurance and membership fees.
Re Local High Grades...I know of 2 both of whom I have been to meet in the past .
Lets say i didnt find them very accomodating.
If you want to discuss names feel free to email me
Unfortunatley with old age comes Hates.........My main one is travelling....I dont Travel.
I have classes 7 days a week so it is almost impossible to go any where else.
So I will keep gleaning bits of info from this wonderful forum and mainly keep quiet.
oneya

Post by oneya »

HI,

It has been said numerous times this forum is for sharing knowledge - and to some extent I agree - but at the same time I don't feel the forum should be teat of a nanny wado ryu state where the troll and ego driven can come to feed at their leisure. The name of this game is Wado ryu and requires from each and everyone of us a certain civility and willingness to 'participate' in the practice of the wado ryu each time we enter the dojo. This I feel must now be a extended to this forum also lest its integrity be misunderstood as just the stuff of the market place. In this respect I feel all of the protocols of society should come to bear in the matter of introductions and must be willingly supplied in order to enter the house/ home/club/dojo and now this forum. It is only civility and costs nothing to adhere to so lets have names and memberships as a condition of entry.

On the matter of anonymity: I think this too has outlived its usefulness while this forum has grown into a fount of credible and creditable information that we should recognise as meeting one of the criteria implicit in its name.. While it was useful for a while it is clear that anonymity can feed separatism and perhaps elitism which has to be counter productive to the core values of wado ryu. I feel it is time to adjust to its growing maturity and raise the level of clear and direct wado ryu communication with a greater transparency .

This forum is topic and martial art specific with a fabric stretched world wide. It is a milieu that calls for some awareness of its effect within that milieu and a few simple rules and directives should be acceptable and desirable. If we expect it to gather respect in a wado world I think it should start with respect from us as members. I can see no good reason why I should inform faceless people with bad manners on this forum. I would not do so in the dojo where I require the simple formalities of society to be the norm.
Last edited by oneya on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

DKC,

Arnold Schwarzenegger once wrote:

"When I first came to the United States I was criticized for my poor calf development, so I cut off the bottoms of my sweat pants to make sure my claves were visible at all times. That not only reminded me to train them harder, but let everyone else see how they looked - which doubly motivated me to train them even harder.

As another example, my left arm used to be slightly smaller than my right arm. I noticed that whenever I was asked to show my biceps, I would automatically flex the right arm. So I consciously made an effort to flex my left arm as much or more than my right, to work on that weak point instead of simply ignoring it, and eventually I was able to make my left biceps the equal of my right."
AJ van Dijk

wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I'm Spartacus!

We have moved into our second year, suffered some cases of splash and dash, and it many cases we have addressed each other by name in posts anyway, it feels as the community wants to move forward into the next phase where we have clear voices and open discourse.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I was hoping when I said I'm Spartacus, that my signature info would now show up. Trying again.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

dkc wrote:Ok first to Tim I live within 500 yards of the Pentagon in Chaddesden LOL
Most courses you have to belong to the group running them or to the EKF if they are involved they do not allow outsiders and they are not "supposed" to train with non members Rule 21.9 How you get round this I dont know.
Having been bitten by previous Governing Bodys I will not give support to them again.
They are only after money by way of insurance and membership fees.
Re Local High Grades...I know of 2 both of whom I have been to meet in the past .
Lets say i didnt find them very accomodating.
If you want to discuss names feel free to email me
Unfortunatley with old age comes Hates.........My main one is travelling....I dont Travel.
I have classes 7 days a week so it is almost impossible to go any where else.
So I will keep gleaning bits of info from this wonderful forum and mainly keep quiet.
Hi Trevor,
You may not travel, but you have Dan grades aplenty, encourage them to travel, your Dojo will be richer for it.
Open courses are open courses, don't use nit picking political mumbo jumbo as an excuse.

I reckon I must have stayed yards from your house, at the Days Inn, lol.

Tim