Which is/are your favourite Kata?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Kuroi Tsubasa

Re: Which is/are your favourite Kata?

Post by Kuroi Tsubasa »

WadoAJ wrote:
Hi prajit

Cut it up into smaller parts And not Try to learn complete Kata at Once. Other than that, practice!

AJ
Thanks AJ
I tried doing that once but I messed up where to pause and stuffs like that
I guess I should practice practice practice :(
claas wrote:One thing that works for memorizing a kata is watching it from youtube 10 times in a row. It doesn't take too much time either.
Yes but every time I check 5 different videos of the same kata I see it being performed in 5 different ways it leaves me confused and perturbed
Generally I would follow whatever Sensei Hironori or Sensei Suzuki does but it leaves me with doubt

Can you really (for lack of a better vocabulary) "personalize" katas
But I guess this is question is better suited in a separate thread
So Arigatou once again
Prajit
claas

Post by claas »

If you are in the Wadokai, the official videos are on youtube. For your purpose they should do well. Actually I would say it doesn't even matter in which organization you train, except for some of the "extra katas".

Videos are not going to help you very much in learning how the moves of the katas should be done. What you can learn is just which move comes after which. In the beginning this is very important for the sake of memorizing the content that your sensei teaches.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Hi Prajit,

I tried to reply yesterday but just before posting my computer crashed..

I was wondering how you are taught kata. If I teach, I give the commands in the rythm that should be used when performing the kata.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
claas

Post by claas »

WadoAJ wrote:Hi Prajit,

I was wondering how you are taught kata. If I teach, I give the commands in the rythm that should be used when performing the kata.

AJ
What kind of rhythm is that?
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

claas wrote:

AJ
What do you mean, is this à language thing? Some moves are quick. Others are slow. Some are à combination. Thats what i mean. Im talking About performance pace not explanation.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

I only know two from Wado but also Gekki sai from Goju. I much prefer the Wado kata though. More useful. Less theoretical. I'm working on Pinan Shodan now. Terrific kata. I'm enjoying trying to master (or get better at) the timing and body mechanics of it all.
David Coscina
Kuroi Tsubasa

Post by Kuroi Tsubasa »

AJ
Rythms :O
Sounds rather interesting
We are taught mainly by counts
Like this step after that later as we get more used to the steps and everything we are taught where the main pauses are
Our sensei is rather young too 23-24 and we dont have access to senior senseis untill the winter and summer camps (I come 2nd in line in terms of seniority in our university club)
So the slow and fast bit remains a bit fuzzy at times
:(
Katas here are more like discrete movements you make as efficiently as possible to get shiny new belts :<
Last edited by Kuroi Tsubasa on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prajit
oneya

Post by oneya »

Kuroi Tsubasa wrote:
Rythms :O
Sounds rather interesting
We are taught mainly by counts
Like this step after that later as we get more used to the steps and everything we are taught where the main pauses are
Our sensei is rather young too 23-24 and we dont have access to senior senseis untill the winter and summer camps (I come 2nd in line in terms of seniority in our university club)
So the slow and fast bit remains a bit fuzzy at times
:(
Katas here are more like discreet movements you make as efficiently as possible to get shiny new belts :<

Hi KT,

Do you actually mean 'discreet' or perhaps 'discrete' which sounds more likely at the kata stage you appear to be working with.?

In terms of kata and your prior history you should understand that wado ryu kata is considered to be Japanese kata and in being so is an entirely different animal altogether from the Okinawan kata and even further from its Korean counterpart. Add this to the multiplicity of layers that open to revelation as one becomes more learned and a whole other world is heading your way if you stay long enough and work hard enough beyond the tinsel.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Kuroi Tsubasa

Post by Kuroi Tsubasa »

oneya wrote:

Hi KT,

Do you actually mean 'discreet' or perhaps 'discrete' which sounds more likely at the kata stage you appear to be working with.?

In terms of kata and your prior history you should understand that wado ryu kata is considered to be Japanese kata and in being so is an entirely different animal altogether from the Okinawan kata and even further from its Korean counterpart. Add this to the multiplicity of layers that open to revelation as one becomes more learned and a whole other world is heading your way if you stay long enough and work hard enough beyond the tinsel.

oneya

Hai sensei
I need to be more careful with my spelling I guess
I had once heard a similar saying
“Do a Kata 300 times and you will know it.
Do a Kata 1000 times and you will begin to see your opponent.
But do a Kata 10,000 times and others will begin to see your opponent.”

Lofty thought but really reaally hard to achieve :(
I will try my best sensei
Prajit
claas

Post by claas »

WadoAJ wrote:
claas wrote:

AJ
What do you mean, is this à language thing? Some moves are quick. Others are slow. Some are à combination. Thats what i mean. Im talking About performance pace not explanation.

AJ
OK. I thought you were talking about a "standard" rhythm in which sequences of a kata should be performed.
It seems sometimes just repeating in the same rhythm can over time alter the mechanics that should be present, so maybe better to avoid rhythms of sequences and learn rhythm of moving the body instead. To replace outer rhythm with inner rhythm.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland