Renzoku waza

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
mezusmo

Re: Renzoku waza

Post by mezusmo »

blackcat wrote:
mezusmo wrote:
Gary wrote:Bunnies!?
Hi,

Not all aikidoka are bunnies.

Mezusmo
Nothing wrong with Aikido. Gary is just having fun (or I imagine he is - sure he will speak for himself). A lot of people who have learned koryu systems in Japan get there through aikido in the first place, so they refer to the new people coming into Japan to learn aikido as 'bunnies' because there are so many folks doing it.

I am sure 90% of this thread has nothing to do with the original post!

Ben

Maybe a slight disrespect though.....

mezusmo
Martin Duffy
Gary

Post by Gary »

mezusmo,

As Ben has already pointed out, it is a term used by many to describe Aikido-ka who travel to Japan to further their knowledge.

It's like the Spring Bunny I guess, new beginnings...

Not a bad term on the grand scheme of things.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi mezusmo

Respect isn’t compulsory. A need for respect is itsuku in one's life and ultimately it is better to face one's demons. If respect is deemed necessary it can be earned in the reality of Japanese martial arts - that is the martial art where the reality of a threatening or dangerous nature still exists. Aikido threats do not seem to exist in any demonstrations that I have seen, which could well have been the fate of wado ryu had not Ohtsuka meijin sought out and embraced the evident threat of the more powerful Okinawan tode attack. As I alluded to earlier: I believe Ohtsuka meijin’s wado method of retaining a threat and providing arenas for this in jiyu kumite and the governed tournament to test one’s self which was more pragmatic and provided a milieu where respect could be earned, if that is what one needed. I don’t know that respect is every-man’s need but certainly survival seems a necessity, hence the need for the threat.

Aikido needs no defending though it is a beautiful example of a peaceful pursuit in much the way of Tai Chi, if one digs deep enough their esoteric nature can be seen to have a solid and reachable base.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Once again Wado has to be looked upon and valued as a whole of life approach.
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

oneya wrote:Hi mezusmo

Respect isn’t compulsory. A need for respecssary it can be earned in the reality of Japanese martial arts - that is the martial art where the reality of a threatet is itsuku in one's life and ultimately it is better to face one's demons. If respect is deemed necening or dangerous nature still exists. Aikido threats do not seem to exist in any demonstrations that I have seen, which could well have been the fate of wado ryu had not Ohtsuka meijin sought out and embraced the evident threat of the more powerful Okinawan tode attack. As I alluded to earlier: I believe Ohtsuka meijin’s wado method of retaining a threat and providing arenas for this in jiyu kumite and the governed tournament to test one’s self which was more pragmatic and provided a milieu where respect could be earned, if that is what one needed. I don’t know that respect is every-man’s need but certainly survival seems a necessity, hence the need for the threat.

Aikido needs no defending though it is a beautiful example of a peaceful pursuit in much the way of Tai Chi, if one digs deep enough their esoteric nature can be seen to have a solid and reachable base.

oneya

Hi Oneya,
I agree with what say about pragmatism in martial arts but to say you haven't seen any treats in aikido demonstrations makes me raise an eyebrow i have to admit.In yoshinkan aikido pragmatism is clearly evident in demonstrations.As for taijiquan have u seen Chen Zhonghua and his practical method?
I apologize for the topic drift.

mezusmo
Martin Duffy
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi Oneya,

I agree with what say about pragmatism in martial arts but to say you haven't seen any treats in aikido demonstrations makes me raise an eyebrow i have to admit.In yoshinkan aikido pragmatism is clearly evident in demonstrations.As for taijiquan have u seen Chen Zhonghua and his practical method?

mezusmo
Hi Mezusmo,

Perhaps you need to read my post again because I clearly said *Aikido threats do not seem to exist in any demonstrations that I have seen* They may well exist but I personally have not seen them and I have been around the traps for quite a while now. I have certainly seen some exciting aikido defensive practices however and applaud this but it has always - in my experience - been in the type of demonstration where the threat of any real danger is implied rather than explicit or extant. As I said though, Aikido needs no defending because its predicate is amply demonstrated anyway. Tai Chi for me - and I have practiced Tai Chi for a number of years - is the same but again I was not implying anything disrespectful - only that wado ryu retains - or should retain and exhibit - a threat of danger that is explicit..

You are right though, this is topic drift.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

mezusmo wrote: In yoshinkan aikido pragmatism is clearly evident in demonstrations.As for taijiquan have u seen Chen Zhonghua and his practical method?
mezusmo
Mezusmo.

Isn't Yoshinkan and Tomiki an exception to the rule?
There are a few tough guys like Robert Mustard around who can clean your clock but in my experience people like Robert Mustard are rare in the aikido world.
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:Once again Wado has to be looked upon and valued as a whole of life approach.

Yeah for wadoka...

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I am getting very repetitive as I grow older.
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

oneya wrote:
Hi Oneya,

mezusmo
Hi Mezusmo,

Perhaps you need to read my post again because I clearly said *Aikido threats do not seem to exist in any demonstrations that I have seen* They may well exist but I personally have not seen them and I have been around the traps for quite a while now. I have certainly seen some exciting aikido defensive practices however and applaud this but it has always - in my experience - been in the type of demonstration where the threat of any real danger is implied rather than explicit or extant. As I said though, Aikido needs no defending because its predicate is amply demonstrated anyway. Tai Chi for me - and I have practiced Tai Chi for a number of years - is the same but again I was not implying anything disrespectful - only that wado ryu retains - or should retain and exhibit - a threat of danger that is explicit..

You are right though, this is topic drift.

oneya
Hi oneya

Thank you for your explanation...

mezusmo
Martin Duffy