Renzoku waza

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Renzoku waza

Post by wadoka »

This is taken from the new Wado Academy dan grading syllabus. I wondered what the heck it all was until I saw it last night.

3. (Imagine an opponent on all four sides) Uchi okuri ashi junzuki jodan – okuri ashi gyakuzuki jodan – okuri ashi maegeri chudan – junzuki gyakuzuki junzuki san ren zuki – tsugi ashi ushirogeri chudan – ushiro geri chudan – okuri ashi maegeri chudan – okuri ashi nagashi junzuki jodan – gyakuzuki chudan – feint to one side, other side tsugi ashi sokutogeri chudan – jun no uraken uchi doji ni gyaku no furiken uchi jodan – tsugi ashi mawashigeri chudan – ushiro e tsugi ashi de gedan no sabaki – ayumi ashi junzuki jodan gyakuzuki jodan renzuki – mawate okuri ashi maegeri chudan – okuri ashi mawashigeri chudan – onaji ashi de ashibari – jun no uraken uchi jodan – gyaku no furiken uchi chudan – jun no furiken jodan – hizageri chudan – do the same technique again in the opposite stance

As with most things its not about the end points, it's about how your body moves to support the actions and outcomes required.

Also, no gaps, no openings, smooth continuous motion. Any huffing and puffing, stop/stop, body-locking "kime" will make you stand out like a sore thumb.

I heard the comment "like kata"....
claas

Re: Renzoku waza

Post by claas »

wadoka wrote:This is taken from the new Wado Academy dan grading syllabus. I wondered what the heck it all was until I saw it last night.
How did you feel when you woke up? :)
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I think I will ache a bit more tomorrow but that is through lack of training than anything else.

I really enjoyed. Fast moving and not time for posturing.
oneya

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:This is taken from the new Wado Academy dan grading syllabus. I wondered what the heck it all was until I saw it last night.

3. (Imagine an opponent on all four sides) Uchi okuri ashi junzuki jodan – okuri ashi gyakuzuki jodan – okuri ashi maegeri chudan – junzuki gyakuzuki junzuki san ren zuki – tsugi ashi ushirogeri chudan – ushiro geri chudan – okuri ashi maegeri chudan – okuri ashi nagashi junzuki jodan – gyakuzuki chudan – feint to one side, other side tsugi ashi sokutogeri chudan – jun no uraken uchi doji ni gyaku no furiken uchi jodan – tsugi ashi mawashigeri chudan – ushiro e tsugi ashi de gedan no sabaki – ayumi ashi junzuki jodan gyakuzuki jodan renzuki – mawate okuri ashi maegeri chudan – okuri ashi mawashigeri chudan – onaji ashi de ashibari – jun no uraken uchi jodan – gyaku no furiken uchi chudan – jun no furiken jodan – hizageri chudan – do the same technique again in the opposite stance

As with most things its not about the end points, it's about how your body moves to support the actions and outcomes required.

Also, no gaps, no openings, smooth continuous motion. Any huffing and puffing, stop/stop, body-locking "kime" will make you stand out like a sore thumb.

I heard the comment "like kata"....

This is an excellent example of why wado ryu can't be learned anywhere else but in a dojo with a knowledgeable instructor.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
shep

Post by shep »

Looks like a very interesting excercise , theres a hell of a lot going on there - any chance of some footage at some stage wadoka?

I also notice the reason for the change in the combination techniques (students not understanding the meaning behind the moves) is that a problem you found?

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Footage - we shall see.

Why the other ones got dropped. I can understand sensei's sentiments. It was too hard for all of us. We are back to the "kata vs igata" discussions.

When doing the renzoku waza as pairwork, it should be alive and not a staid procession of techniques.

It was hard. It needed lots of time. He probably looked on and had enough of us.

When it came down to the gradings, people were too far apart. There wasn't danger of being hit that has been talked about. People were making attacks but being too safe. Ideally if we were watching from the sidelines we should feel "Phew, that was close" followed by "wow, actually that was good technique". I guess people would have hated clattering their partner in the melee.

It didn't seem to flow natural for most.

Maybe now with the new set, it gives us the opportunity to get back to moving smoothly and flowing with the movements. With intent of course.
dkc

Post by dkc »

It sounds and reads horrendously difficult.................DARE i ask for a translation ?

I can do it word for word but it loses something in translation Ithink

Please
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

wadoka wrote:Footage - we shall see.

Why the other ones got dropped. I can understand sensei's sentiments. It was too hard for all of us. We are back to the "kata vs igata" discussions.

When doing the renzoku waza as pairwork, it should be alive and not a staid procession of techniques.

It was hard. It needed lots of time. He probably looked on and had enough of us.

When it came down to the gradings, people were too far apart. There wasn't danger of being hit that has been talked about. People were making attacks but being too safe. Ideally if we were watching from the sidelines we should feel "Phew, that was close" followed by "wow, actually that was good technique". I guess people would have hated clattering their partner in the melee.

It didn't seem to flow natural for most.

Maybe now with the new set, it gives us the opportunity to get back to moving smoothly and flowing with the movements. With intent of course.
Not sure what you are saying; if I remember correctly wasn’t it that these paired combinations were numbered and that once a body had been built up then these would then rotate round?

Have the previous ones been permanently dropped, suspended or simply superseded?

Tim
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Tim, they have been dropped, with regards to the dan grading syllabus anyway. Not sure how often we will see the old ones on courses now, but no reason why not.

Trevor, the translation is not going to be worth anything really and I will just mess it up. The elements by themselves will be things that most people have done, its stringing them together with movement that I will never be able to describe in the quality it deserves. But in the interests of sharing, if I have time over the Xmas break...
dkc

Post by dkc »

Thanks Wadoka that would be great if you have time LOL
I am building up a list of terms I am not familar with and then you use a load more
C`est la vie as the french say