Ouch! Accidents in the dojo

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

Ouch! Accidents in the dojo

Post by majin29 »

Holy moses! I did something in class this week that I have NEVER done before- hit an instructor (of course by accident). I'm normally very very good at controlling my strikes and pulling them accordingly but for some bizarre reason I still cannot account for, whilst demonstrating Sanbon Jodan Uke (the part where you turn to avoid the third punch and pivot by blocking and doing an upper cut simultaneously), well, I got my poor sensei in the chops with the upper cut. I was mortified. I still don't know how that one got away from me. Just moments earlier, I was practicing with a class mate and performed it fine 10 times. I profusely apologized and he took it in good stride (he said at least he didn't bite his tongue) but hearing the teeth chomp together was just a little sickening. Thing is, I still pulled the punch- it wasn't full out- but I didn't pull it enough so there was some contact.

I don't know whether anyone else here has had something like this happen to them or been on the receiving side. I mean, in sparring, I've been punched in the face by a black belt (accidentally) so I know injuries might be probable but in Sanbon.....ugh. I still feel sick about it....
David Coscina
oneya

Re: Ouch! Accidents in the dojo

Post by oneya »

Don't worry, if you can hit an instructor it is his/her fault.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Oneya is right. It's the instructor's fault in the first place. When I mess up a technique while instructing (which does happen, now and again) I'm the one to apologize to the student for my sloppy technique.

In my dojo I have a simple rule: the higher rank is always responsible for accidents. Because he/she should know better. So the buck stops at the highest rank, which is the instructor.

That said, sometimes as an instructor you have to show things and you may ask someone to move in a particular way. Then, when he moves different than expected, this may lead to (minor) accidents. But that is still the instructors fault. He should have known better than to do the demonstration with that person.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

The way I read it the sensei was acting as uke when doing the attack for the Sanbon Kumite. Maybe he could have seen it was going to be a bit close and moved.
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

kyudo wrote: That said, sometimes as an instructor you have to show things and you may ask someone to move in a particular way. Then, when he moves different than expected, this may lead to (minor) accidents.
I should add:
An able instructor will see to it that this sort of accident affects the student, not himself. :-)

If one of my students makes a wrong move deliberately, he puts his own teeth in jeopardy, not mine.
Igor Asselbergs
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

I have a memory of someone being overzealous with the punch to the kidneys during Sanbon Gumite Keri Uke, and poor uke suffering blood in his urine for some time afterwards. Hardly Uke's fault.

Tim
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Tim49 wrote:I have a memory of someone being overzealous with the punch to the kidneys during Sanbon Gumite Keri Uke, and poor uke suffering blood in his urine for some time afterwards. Hardly Uke's fault.
The buck doesn't stop at uke...
Igor Asselbergs
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I'm slightly confused now.

Are we still talking about the pre-arranged pairwork? I would be pretty miffed if in say kihon kumite number 1 if someone did an upper cut into my throat.
Daz

Post by Daz »

Long time lurker, 1st post.

I have been in a similar position, again sambon kumite practicing with a much lower grade, I kicked lower grade ended up with a broken wrist.
Even though the lower grade performed the defence badly, doesnt make you feel any better, and it was a girl whos wrist was broken.
not my proudest moment in the dojo.

Daz
Darrell Madge
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

wadoka wrote:I'm slightly confused now.
Are we still talking about the pre-arranged pairwork? I would be pretty miffed if in say kihon kumite number 1 if someone did an upper cut into my throat.
I may be pretty miffed only after dealing with it and then figuring out how and why it happened. And only when I find out it was on purpose.
After all, I learned to be prepared for anything in KK. In fact, often enough I had to deal with 'wrong' attacks in KK because someone mixed up some numbers. And I can't say I never made mistakes either. It should be no big deal, if KK is performed properly.
Igor Asselbergs