Tobikomizuki- my mission

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

Tobikomizuki- my mission

Post by majin29 »

Hi all. I believe that of all the waza that have been the hardest to adjust to since I migrated from Goju to Wado it's this one. The coordinator and body mechanics of this is hard! Either my lead foot is not facing forward or else I'm too high on my junzuki no tsukomi. Don't get me wrong- I totally enjoy the challenge of continually working at this. But I've got one question- the chambered hand- is it fist clenched with palm up or is it palm facing into solar plexus. This is the casualty of only going once a week. I love to practice in between classes but I don't want to practice incorrectly. That defeats the whole purpose.

Thanks kindly.
Last edited by majin29 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Coscina
oneya

Re: Tobikomizuki- my nemesis

Post by oneya »

majin29 wrote:Hi all. I believe that of all the waza that have been the hardest to adjust to since I migrated from Goju to Wado it's this one. The coordinator and body mechanics of this is hard! Either my lead foot is not facing forward or else I'm too high on my junzuki no tsukomi. Don't get me wrong- I totally enjoy the challenge of continually working at this. But I've got one question- the chambered hand- is it fist clenched with palm up or is it palm facing into solar plexus. This is the casualty of only going once a week. I love to practice in between classes but I don't want to practice incorrectly. That defeats the whole purpose.

Thanks kindly.

Don't 'clench' the fist, just hold it palm up and held lightly in a fist shape with both hands pointing in the same direction. Remember Tobikomizuki is not static it's a movement and wado movement is always relaxed.

oneya
Last edited by oneya on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
claas

Post by claas »

Hi,

In tobikomizuki you should use dropping, advancing, twisting, leaning and closing (two hands working) and all should happen fast. How much you drop from which leg should be analysed in a way that allows the advancing and the punch to become good. Also drawing with the front leg is important as is having a soft front knee at the time of the impact. So many things are difficult that I strongly suggest you take a few elements out from the ecuation when you work on it and bring them back in from time to time and test have you improved. Even more than the other fundamentals this (and "basic" nagashizuki) seems to be more of a challenge instead of just a way to train.

I think it is a good idea to get the hands correct first of all. Many people do not even practice that one and it only takes a few hundred relaxed repetitions to get it on the right track = you notice it's the natural way. Might even take less, but the point is the other stuff take a little longer.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

Also change the mind.. like so: Tobikomizuki- my nemesis change to - Tobikomizuki - my Passion.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

Thanks everyone. And yes, Tobikomizuki my passion is more befitting a title.
David Coscina
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

It is suppose to be hard.
If you can figure this out in 10 years then you are doing great...lol..
Bob Nash
monkey mind

Post by monkey mind »

oneya wrote:Also change the mind.. like so: Tobikomizuki- my nemesis change to - Tobikomizuki - my Passion.

oneya
I was going to suggest: Tobikomizuki - my teacher.
Paul Cooper
JKI Wadokai Chiang Mai
majin29

Post by majin29 »

I have one more enquiry- what is the application of this waza? The junzuki is fairly obvious but that pull back that follows it- I'm curious as to what that should be intended for. Is it a grab? A block? Just curious.

Thanks kindly.
David Coscina
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

For your own safety.

You could practice the same technique and make jodan or gedan cover as well.
majin29

Post by majin29 »

wadoka wrote:For your own safety.

You could practice the same technique and make jodan or gedan cover as well.
Thanks Wadoka. I appreciate the feedback and context. I think, appropriately so, our school doesn't focus so much at the lower levels on application or perhaps context- they just want us to get the body mechanics down. I respect this and know as we ascend we will get a broader picture of what all this means.
David Coscina