Small details

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Craven

Re: Small details

Post by Craven »

Hi guys,
I think a lot of people will be put off posing a question if the answer is going to be ‘ask your instructor’. After all what would be the point having a forum if this was the case?
Thanks,
DJ
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Craven wrote:Hi guys,
I think a lot of people will be put off posing a question if the answer is going to be ‘ask your instructor’. After all what would be the point having a forum if this was the case?
Thanks,
DJ
Hi DJ,

to be honest, I think your post is not a particularly good one to get off with a good start. However, I can understand your point. Perhaps a little more nuance is proper. "We" do not know about your writing style and all has been in harmony on the AKF. What I am trying to say is that I feel your post is a kind of attack towards Tim and Gary, while you have not taken the time to ask them what they meant by their post. I guess it is more proper to ask for clarity of someones post then to react based on assumptions. On the other hand, my reply may be will be based on an assumption. Please correct me if I have misunderstood your post.

As for my take on the matter, I think Gary and Tim (again, please correct me if i'm wrong) are trying to say that you need to be loyal to your sensei. This means, that it is most proper to ask your sensei about such a function first. Then, it might be interesting to hear explanations/points of view of other people or perhaps arguments to hold the elbow palm facing the ground from those who practise differently.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

Yes also Naihanchi has vertical fist but Chinto is different because the ulna nerve is not in the line of fire because the opposite hand receives on the forearm. All small differences and not just a matter of chance.

oneya

www.sannoya.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Thanks,
DJ
Hi Craven, (I wonder if you are the same DJ I know from up that part of the world?)
I think Gary was saying ‘have you asked your instructor?’ not ‘ask your instructor’, and I was concurring with that thought.

I found that working with different instructors in the past, when I asked certain specific questions there were times when the Sensei answered my question with another question. For example he might say, “What do you think the move is all about?” I then have to propose an answer based upon the work I had been doing on the specific technique, usually trying hard to marry it up with the principles of Wado. That way the learning is keyed in to my own personal learning and physical understanding rather than becoming an abstract piece of knowledge divorced from the physicality.

But then again, sometimes I got a straight answer. This is how the Sensei ‘leads’ the student, it’s rooted in their relationship. There is no real relationship on the Internet, certainly not one to compare with the in-the-Dojo connection you get between Sensei and student.

Back to the point.
There were some propositions put forward by members of this group which gave some clues to the original question asked. This is a good thing and a positive reflection on the membership. I hope the original enquirer is not disappointed with the answers.

AJ, I think we should not read the wrong thing in to Craven's comment, it's a fair point that needed clarification perhaps, which I hope I have now done.

Tim
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi Tim,

Of course you are right and in the dojo I am as likely to answer a question with a question so that I don't feel I am denying the student the opportunity to walk his own path. My answer stems from a personal tamashiwara experience that plagues me to this day...

oneya

www.sannoya.com
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Tim49 wrote:
Thanks,
DJ
AJ, I think we should not read the wrong thing in to Craven's comment, it's a fair point that needed clarification perhaps, which I hope I have now done.

Tim
Hi Tim,

that was sort of my point, but tried to say that it might be interpreted otherwise. I might have verbalized myself in an incorrect way myself. Thanks for you clarification as well.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
Craven

Post by Craven »

AJ/All, Having re-read my post i can see that i have come across as aggressive so please accept my apologies I’m normally a lurker by trade and need to re think my writing style. But I was really just trying to defend the right of the original poster to ask any question and not to be put off by fear of the reply. I work for a large UK telecoms company where we have a similar forum for querying the decisions of the CEO, and most of the answers we get back are ‘speak to your manager’ which is annoying and beats the whole point. Also it’s a bit like at the end of a course when sensei asks if there are any questions. No one speaks for fear of looking dumb (or is that just me..?)

Tim, you have ‘sussed’ me, well done :). I’m hoping you will be up in my neck of the woods again soon?

I fully agree though, answers are really to be found in the dojo not on the internet but sometimes it’s just fun to ask. Strangely enough when I studied Shukokai (Shito-Ryu) the strike was done with the fist horizontal no idea why (didn’t ask....)
All the best,
DJ
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi,

My comment was (as Tim says) an enquiry not a suggestion.

Technical discussions like this are OK, but with a note of caution me thinks. I used the term the devil is in the detail, and it really is when we talk about Wado.

Like many things in our art, there is often more than one reason why something is the way it is. Even things like the rotation of the fist through 90 degrees changes how we move and how the body performs.

It’s good to ask yourself this sort of question I think, but sometimes the full answer(s) may not manifest itself for years - through the process of doing, but to me anyway, that is the beauty of studying Wado with a good instructor.

Just my thoughts.

Gary
Last edited by Gary on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Craven wrote:AJ/All, Having re-read my post i can see that i have come across as aggressive so please accept my apologies I’m normally a lurker by trade and need to re think my writing style. But I was really just trying to defend the right of the original poster to ask any question and not to be put off by fear of the reply. I work for a large UK telecoms company where we have a similar forum for querying the decisions of the CEO, and most of the answers we get back are ‘speak to your manager’ which is annoying and beats the whole point. Also it’s a bit like at the end of a course when sensei asks if there are any questions. No one speaks for fear of looking dumb (or is that just me..?)

Tim, you have ‘sussed’ me, well done :). I’m hoping you will be up in my neck of the woods again soon?

I fully agree though, answers are really to be found in the dojo not on the internet but sometimes it’s just fun to ask. Strangely enough when I studied Shukokai (Shito-Ryu) the strike was done with the fist horizontal no idea why (didn’t ask....)
All the best,
DJ
Hi DJ (Craven).
I tried to contact you through this site but for some reason the function didn't work for me (Wadoka, any thoughts?).
DJ, please drop me an email. I don't have your current email address.

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

Sorry DJ,

I was obviously writing my post as you posted yours.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/