Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
acer

Re: Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

Post by acer »

Ok lets take a look..You said:
Ah I did not say the 'attack' was hook to the face
Interesting because I asked :
Could you please show me in what Kihon Kumite we defend on hook and overhead punches to the face?
and your answer was :
KG ipponme ura
Sorry, no link, no photo --- only dojo training.
I was clear,not the counter the attack and you answer that...
I answered again :
There is none kihon kumite that the attacker attacks with hook punch to the face
and you continue insist with :
am talking about KK #1 = Ura is not the 36 kumite gata I refer to but what is behind the syllabus technique.
In ura wazu the techniques can differ.

The problem seems to be that you have not done enough training in wado to know what you are talking about. Maybe a little more time training in the dojo is better than your incessant whinging.
Then AGAIN I wrote the same as above :
No I m sorry...There is not a single Kihon Kumite,ura or not,that the attack is hook punch to the face
and your answer was now :
Ah I did not say the 'attack' was hook to the face
Yes you did...!!!!!Its your own words!!!
Sori again, He also taught defense against a curve or hook punch in Sanbon kumite jodan but maybe you were not in the dojo that day.
And the story continues...Again none of the attacks of Sanbon Kumite Jodan uke/mae geri/shoto uke/uchi uke are hook punches to the face!Not the counter that you see for example in Jodan uke1 that is an upercut (and not roundhouse/hook to the face anyway) but the ATTACK!!!Not such a thing in syllabus.Thats what I say again and again.not interesting what is outside of syllabus Im talking about the syllabus training!

Anyway I dont want to be rude with anyone and Im sorry to wadoka first of all and to all the members but when someone that has different opinion of you call you stupid because you dont agree with him or someone three post above says something and then refuse to admit it and I m the ''bad boy'' of the forum then...I dont know..
claas

Post by claas »

Hi wadoka,
wadoka wrote:The notion that somehow all the heads of the various organisations are going to make additions is just silly. exactly how many additions need to be added?
I believe this refers to my question about what exactly it is that acer is wishing. (I was the one mentioning the heads.) In my opinion acer still has not made it clear even though I tried to narrow the options down. Logically I don't see any gap in my narration and the questions that followed it, but acer just kept singing the same song.

On the other hand not reading this forum for a few days and returning to see the way acer discusses and how much he/she has to offer, I don't care so much about what he/she really means anymore.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I hope that particular aspect of this thread will just fizzle out as it is doing no know any good. In Wado we don't want to be wasteful.

I am still interested in what Wado means to people though.
oneya

Post by oneya »

acer wrote:"I dont know.."
.. Yes, now I can agree, you really "don't know" but you think you do - and that is the whole problem.

I'm done here.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
shep

Post by shep »

wadoka wrote:
I am still interested in what Wado means to people though.
Speaking as someone who spent many years (too many) in the wilderness, trying other things (Chinese, Korean and Okinawan systems) when I returned to Wado it was like coming home to a warm fire on a winters day. I loved it and wonder (and still do to this day) why I ever stopped. I guess life just took over. Wado suits me and my personality absolutely. I'm not into the Kumite anymore or kata competition, Wado for me is purely personal and as such I have personal goals, and long may I keep trying and achieve them

shep
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Seems the debate I left a few days ago has been subsumed. :/ I was too busy training or with uni work to get on.

Coming from A Kenpo, Submission wrestling and Kickboxing history I can say this much. Those were all about tricks on how to get an edge, always about dominating an attacker or an opponant. Coming to Wado Ryu; the difference is that now all I am fighting is progress. Wado Ryu I have found to be a struggle for my own self improvement, not to get better or to win competitions. The means themselves have taken on a quality that the ends will just never satisfy. I never found that in Kenpo or combat sports.

So what is Wado Ryu; after a few days of contemplation and just getting into training I have realised it's just Wado Ryu. It's parts don't really matter, it's the whole that matters. Shuri Te and Shindo Yoshin Ryu Bujutsu might have been the roots but Ohtsuka Meijin created something original that was his own.

Having read the words of Ohtsuka in the last few days; I have realised that despite being a martial arts genius and speaking with great authority there was a sincere underlying humility to the man. Perhaps his example is as important as the influence of his style; and I probably have been critical of one of my seniors in the way of Wado Ryu when I shouldn't have been. I still don't see the logic in what I see but there must be some and I just lack the ability to see it yet, rather than there being none.

On another note; I have been experimenting with the movements found with in Kihon Kumite against a number of the attacks Acer outlined. Might not look picture perfect or pretty; however the movements and principles can be applied to any number of attacks if used sensibly. Which might seem obvious to some one experianced; but when you have only seen the surface it's odd to find this thing that should have seemed obvious, but was a mystery, lying right in front of you. It really is all in the kata.
R. Keith Williams
acer

Post by acer »

oneya wrote:
acer wrote:"I dont know.."
.. Yes, now I can agree, you really "don't know" but you think you do - and that is the whole problem.

I'm done here.

oneya
And maybe in a future post you will say the opposite?No?You did it above..You cant shoot down your own words.sorry!
I m done with that...
acer

Post by acer »

On another note; I have been experimenting with the movements found with in Kihon Kumite against a number of the attacks Acer outlined
You know the martial arts of Philippines have a moto :To defend a knife you must before know how the knife moves
To imagine how the knife would move is fatal error''
Here is the same thing...How did you experiment with the other attacks if you didn’t study them?You just imagine how they are or you have other experience on other styles that use them?If someone studies only our style and stick to the syllabus he has zero possibility to train right then? So what he must do?Must learn other styles?
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Excuse me, that is now trolling. I am trying to let things die down like the gentleman that I hope I am. I have acknowledge validity in everyone's personal approach because it is personal and cannot be denied, maybe critiqued.

Let's leave the deliberate baiting alone please.
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Acer, to put this the simplest way possible: if someone really wanted to hurt you or kill you and had the time prior to plan it, you'll be hurt or dead. Simply because no matter the level of training you have; someone determined and able to plan will succeed against you if you have no prior warning.

I do Historical fencing and RyuKyu Kobujutsu alongside Wado Ryu, I have my Shodan in American Kenpo Karate and have trained and competed in kick boxing and submission wrestling. Alas though my qualifications mean jack; you know what I have found in doing so? Only so many ways for the body to move and only so many ways you can react under pressure. Cross training has it's benefits but only once you've identified what you want out of it. I don't cross train any more accept with weaponry, as frankly Wado gives me all I want. Simply because in his curriculum; Ohtsuka realised that simple truth.

Frankly, Karate is not about victory or defeat but in never losing. If you can't get your head around that; go find a boxing gym and save us all a head ache.

Sorry to feed the troll Wadoka but this is my last effort at throwing logic at him. I see no further reason to keep posting in this topic now either.
R. Keith Williams