Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Tim49

Re: Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

Post by Tim49 »

acer wrote:
The self defence reason also fizzles away. Anyone with experience in random violence will tell you that it frequently chaotic, unpredictable, sometimes sudden, sometimes with a fear and intimidation preamble, ill-disciplined, ugly and probably most importantly, psychologically crushing and paralysis-inducing. That last one; you can have all the defences against hooks you want but if you haven’t got the tools to mentally switch on you will lose
Imagine dealing with all that and only training against straight punches...Suicide!!!!!!
Now despite desperate attempts by so-called Reality Based Self Defence instructors to create some kind of scenarios to induce that level of pressure it is impossible to teach to most people to really ‘switch on’, without some major mental reprogramming

Imagine if you train only against straight punches then...
Taking the low road and living in a perpetual state of hyped up anxiety and constantly firing up your adrenal glands will kill you over time,
There are so many articles about that and so many practitioners of internal martial arts that based on that and claim why their way of training is superior and better for the human body than the other systems (they including karate as the other systems too as we all know)

The psychology in a real fight is very important no doubt...But really,how in Wado you learn to ''switch on''?
I really think that you are making comments about your own training Acer. So what is the point?

If you feel so restricted go and do something else. Dealing with swing punches has its own logic, know the logic and you have the situation sewn up. Of course you can still get caught out. Don’t you ever use haito uchi in sparring? We use it all the time, well I say that, but the problem with it is that it is so damn easy to spot because a straight line is the shortest distance between two points.

Was teaching furiken uchi as part of 8th kyu syllabus for about eighteen years, guess by the standards you set that must make me a complete amateur?

And for the last time, I don’t teach only defences against straight punches, if your Sensei does then please have a word with him if it annoys you so much. I don’t know how many ways I can explain this.

I reckon that when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I really am bored with this now.

Tim
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Probably time to draw that particular line of hooks and syllabus to a close. It has been said that many people do a heck of a lot more outside the printed text of any organisation's syllabus, if people want to incorporate those elements then fine, if some people want to add it onto their syllabus then fine.

The notion that somehow all the heads of the various organisations are going to make additions is just silly. exactly how many additions need to be added?
acer

Post by acer »

I really think that you are making comments about your own training Acer
I already said what my train is about.
Dealing with swing punches has its own logic, know the logic and you have the situation sewn up.
Great.In Wado we don’t train in them(the correct mechanics of a hook punche ts not our Kihon) so how on earth you will know the logic and you have the situation sewn up as you said?
You will search outside Wado?Pfff....
And for the last time, I don’t teach only defences against straight punches

Again were did you learn how the other punches (for examples add takedowns,low kicks whatever) execute correctly so that you will teach the right respond if Wado doesn’t include them to the syllabus?You teach whatever you imagine that is correct?You already search it from somewhere outside Wado?If someone stick only in Wado training and syllabus how can he know what to do?
You still don’t see the problem?
I really am bored with this now
Yes me too...You don’t want to see the obvious...
oneya

Post by oneya »

I learned about straight, curve and hook punches from Suzuki sensei, it is not in the syllabus but it is all in the kihon Gumite.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
acer

Post by acer »

I learned about straight, curve and hook punches from Suzuki sensei, it is not in the syllabus but it is all in the kihon Gumite.
Could you please show me in what Kihon Kumite we defend on hook and overhead punches to the face?
oneya

Post by oneya »

KG ipponme ura.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

acer

Post by acer »

oneya wrote:KG ipponme ura.

oneya
Link please?Photo?something?
oneya

Post by oneya »

Sorry, no link, no photo --- only dojo training.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

acer

Post by acer »

Don’t be liar my friend,Suzuki never teach any of the 36 kihon gummite.Only the 10 kihon kumite.There is none kihon kumite that the attacker attacks with hook punch to the face...The attacks are only tobikomi zuki / gyaku zuki in all 10 of them..sorry....
oneya

Post by oneya »

acer wrote:Don’t be liar my friend,Suzuki never teach any of the 36 kihon gummite.Only the 10 kihon kumite.There is none kihon kumite that the attacker attacks with hook punch to the face...The attacks are only tobikomi zuki / gyaku zuki in all 10 of them..sorry....

Acer, if there is one thing in this world you can be certain of it is that I am not your friend.

I am talking about KK #1 = Ura is not the 36 kumite gata I refer to but what is behind the syllabus technique.
In ura wazu the techniques can differ.

The problem seems to be that you have not done enough training in wado to know what you are talking about. Maybe a little more time training in the dojo is better than your incessant whinging.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.