Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

Post by oneya »

Tim49 wrote:
Wado heretic wrote:One can always mention the worst swear word a wado practitioner can use: bunkai. Defences against what you are talking about Acer exist in kata, or so the application ethusiasts claim. Personally I am not entirely convinced, however applications are practiced in Okinawa and are a traditional part of Naha te schools. If you want to add the appropriate drills just look at the materials out there on bunkai. I'd suggest starting with the work of Iain Abernathy as his karate is essentially bunkai driven wado.

End of the day there is only good or bad Karate. The wado ryu syllabus is just one of many mediums through which to explore Karate. If it doesn't work for you, then look for another branch on the tree. Ohtsuka Hironori established a syllabus based on his own interpretation of the karate he learned off Funakoshi; and explored further with Mabuni, Motobu, Konishi and Ueshiba. Personally; I feel his knowledge of the kata was superficial and seen through Japanese eyes, and that what he eventually produced was an effort to make Karate fit a Honshu Bujutsu mindset and structure. Yet, I enjoy Wado and feel it has his own virtues that make up for it's lack of closeness to the original, or 'real' depending on your mindset, Karate of the RyuKyu islands. Though having dabbled in Shorin Ryu, I can say Wado is shockingly close to original karate, though differing in several critical ways, when compared to Shotokan and other Japanese Karate traditions.

Back to the original point though; all karateka are in danger of trying to wear three hats in one, the traditionalist, the sportsman and streetfighter. Thus we are left with the question; do we wear all three hats or try and just wear one?

The traditionalist, to simplify it, would be archetypical of the person who simply trains as he was taught and teaches as he was taught. Essentially keeping to the Kata and the Kumite as was passed down to them. Now a traditionalist need not be a dogmatist, many traditional martial artists have been innovators. The point is; these are the kind of people who try to keep their karate as their karate has always been.

The sportsman is basically those who are in karate as a sport, to win competitions. Now if you want to win competitions, what is the best choice? Kumite or Kata, he who chases two hares will rarely catch one after all. So now you get to a point where if you are attempting to do Wado, you either just pay lip service to the kata but pretty much focus on kumite, or you focus on making your kata competition fit in which way they may no longer reflect traditional wado to the detriment of your fighting ability. Basically, Karate that has become kick boxing or aerobic dancing in a gi. The most modern example of this issue is Kudo, which is basically MMA in a gi.

Finally, the streetfighter, the one focused purely on self defence. My question would be this; how many fights have you been in that have threatened your life? Unless you are a bouncer or some other individual invovled in regular physical confrontations, you will rarely be in any more than one fight in your life, and that one fight has usually been dealt with by high school. If you are looking for self defence on the quick; then Krav Maga or some other form of combatives which actually focuses on modern day self defence issues is probably a better choice.

That is not to say karate doesn't work in self defence, it has for me. Then again I am 6'3 amatuer power lifter, and I could defend myself well enough before starting karate. My big point is, learning self defence from karate, requires deep and dedicated study and all the componants for effective self defence are in front of you. In the Kata and in the Kumite devised by Ohtsuka. Now Acer you mention developing drills dealing with other attacks beside karate attacks. Why not do so and see how it turns out? Why does it have to be part of the Wado syllabus for you to develop and practice such drills. I get your original point, why doesn't wado do it as a whole. I don't know but I suspect it's because the current masters are only 3rd generation, the memory of the founder remains alive and with us. Why fix something that isn't broken, and if it's new how can it be broken already?

Final point, it's the shark and tiger arguement. Karate hasn't been shown to work in the ring so we have this doubt that it's effective in a real fight. Well to me there is one event I have etched in my mind that sums it up to me. I was in a bar with my friend who does BJJ and could beat me any day in the ring. I shant go into excessive detail but we both ended up in a fight with a group of drunken idiots. My friend took the guy who started on him to the ground with a tackle without much effort, and I kicked my agressor in the knee and elbowed him in the face. End of the night, I had a bruised elbow and my friend had a gash wound in the head and was hospitalised for a week from being bottled while he was wrestling with the guy. My point being, it's the tactic you use, not the techniques and no number of drills would have helped that night. I used a basic karate tactic, it worked, my friend used a basic BJJ tactic and ended up in the hospital. It's as much the fighter as the system and what is in it.
Wado Heretic,
Excellent post, well put, well argued.

Just one point though; Iain Abernethy is not doing Wado.
He’s backed away from statements he made earlier, which seemed to suggest that he was revealing the hidden ‘Bunkai’ of Wado and now is saying essentially that the stuff he does is his own invention. Which is fair enough, it’s an open marketplace.

Tim
Almost but not quite there wado heretic, from my point of view your assumptions are flawed when you predicate your argument on karate per se and equate the wado ryu with Okinawan karate. A few more years of practice and study to a thinking man will perhaps reveal ‘Okinawan karate’ as such, to be an aspect of wado ryu - of which the indisputable wado ryu authorities will affirm - represents a minor addition of just a pinch of condiments to the actual banquet of wado ryu tabled before us.

So,just touching on a few points and I laud Tim’s timely point on Mr Abernethy’s retraction of teaching ‘wado ryu’ bunkai to teaching his own bunkai inventions, but when you mention swear words I would add: it is not the use of analysis (bunkai) that makes the traditionalist cringe but the teaching of the dead themes of any fait accompli that runs counter to the preferred analysis (Kaisetsu) and ohyo concept that reflects a wado ryu teaching. The analysis or ‘kaisetsu’ is more a live process of demonstrating the ‘life spirit’ in the actual moment of its presentation. This being a requirement for wado ryu in the same way that Ohtsuka meijin’s preference for the kanji 形 over 型 being used for wado ryu kata alludes to its living spirit.

Your comment “Personally; I feel his knowledge of the kata was superficial and seen through Japanese eyes, and that what he eventually produced was an effort to make Karate fit a Honshu Bujutsu mindset and structure”
is often the flawed reasoning of the unknowing or early practitioner who are missing the essence of kaisetsu’s analysis and commentary together with Ohtuka meijin’s real motive and intent of completely revising the structure and purpose of Okinawan kata to suit its wado role as the apparatus for teaching, understanding and polishing the essentials of wado movement, posture and balance. He selected nine interconnected kata for this purpose while the “bunkai” became the incremental provinces of kihon gumite, ohyo gumite and kumite gata, which, as even blind Freddie can see, occupies a wider spectrum of import than just the much narrower bunkai.

If we can accept that his reasoning was to create a ‘new’ Japanese martial art in much the way of Kano of Judo and Ueshiba of Aikido it is easier to see Ohtsuka meijin’s aim was to bring wado ryu into its own moment in Japan’s martial history, so rather than be too limited or hampered by the history of Japan’s southern agrarian neighbour he opted for his own koryu lineage and Japan’s own warrior experience to be the key and cornerstones of wado ryu. I believe the koryu principles of movement and fundamental teachings to bear this out once one is beyond the introduction phase. It is a matter of prisms: so given the benefit of some thought: wado ryu with its extensive koryu history and lineage presents more as a paradigm shift in martial development, rather than a poor relation’s jigsaw lacking a few missing bits of a neighbouring system of self defense from a beleaguered agrarian community.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Oneya, I didn’t want to get too picky as it was a much more elevated posting than some of those we’ve had recently.

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

acer wrote:
Why dont you join your local Boxing gym, if it matters that much to you? I believe hook punches are in their syllabus.
Why not to add them in our syllabus?Much easier...

Because I practice Wado not boxing. You will find Furiken Uchi is found within the context of ohyo, so why put it in a syllabus. It is you who feels your wado is lacking. I'm more than happy with what I practice.

If not boxing maybe an MMA school would be more your thing

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

Tim49 wrote:Oneya, I didn’t want to get too picky as it was a much more elevated posting than some of those we’ve had recently.

Tim
Indeed it was Tim but he did start swearing first, ;-)

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

I am aware Mr Abernathy no longer claims to teach Wado Ryu; however the kata he works from do come from Wado Ryu, or so I last checked. Unless he's gone the Patrick McCarthy way of collecting any kata with the word Koshiki in it or ones that seem to be unique to Okinawa. That is what I was working from when making that point.

I shant debate the Kaisetsu/Bunkai argument as I don't really know much Japanese, and those two terms literally translated seem to just be a case of semantics. However, I do consider the western approach to Bunkai limiting; as many simply robotically attempt to apply movements directly from the kata to any number of techniques. While essentially ignoring the principles the Kata inherently teaches; Kaisetsu as it were. Personally I'd consider both practices complimentary and neccessary. It is simply the western appraoch that is flawed.

My meaning by superficial understanding is one of cultural difference. Ohtsuka Meijin was not Okinawan, nor did he pass on an Okinawan method of understanding Kata; this best given by the following qoute:

About the foot-sweep in Naihanchin: “This movement is NOT a foot sweep [...] varation of stance [...] objective is to see if there is too much strenght being placed in the leg itself.”

- Otsuka Hironori, “Wado Ryu Karate”, 1977 (p. 253)

This would be considered nonsense to most practitioners of Shorin Ryu or the Chinese martial arts; however it does fit within the logic Ohtsuka applied to his approach. In this evidence lies in the fact his understanding of kata came from his jujutsu heritage, not from an understanding of the Okinawan approach. Okinawan Kata come from the Chinese tradition of forms, a tradition driven by application based practice. Hence; why I say it was superficial, Ohtsuka Meijin placed his own interpretations while essentially ignoring the tradition the Kata evolved in.

Is that to be taken as a criticism; yes and no. As I have said before, Wado Ryu has it's own virtues which make it distinct from original Karate. This is one of them, Ohtsuka's approach to the kata was original, despite coming from a koryu perspective, in that it was a new take on an old tradition. From this he produced the kumite exercises as you have already listed Oneya, and I would concur that they are a superior method of instilling the methods of Wado Ryu then bunkai will ever be. However, this doesn't detract from the fact Ohtsuka Meijin did essentially render the Okinawan Karate he had learnt into a vehicle for his own concepts, in a way making Karate fit a Honshu Bujutsu framework. Doing so produced something original and vast in scope, something unique in it's own time.

On this last part; if we see karate as a tree then Funakoshi ha Shuri te are the roots of Wado Ryu and those roots are not disimilar from Shorin Ryu and are part of the Okinawan Karate tradition. A tree without roots is bound to get blown over in a storm, if we ignore or see original Karate as the lesser or a mere part of Wado Ryu, rather than one set of roots from which Wado Ryu emerged and requires still; we cheapen the reasons Ohtsuka learnt and chose to found a Karate curriculum, rather then a Jujutsu system with Karate influences.

Anyway; have to go to training.
R. Keith Williams
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Wado heretic wrote:
About the foot-sweep in Naihanchin: “This movement is NOT a foot sweep [...] varation of stance [...] objective is to see if there is too much strenght being placed in the leg itself.”

- Otsuka Hironori, “Wado Ryu Karate”, 1977 (p. 253)

This would be considered nonsense to most practitioners of Shorin Ryu or the Chinese martial arts; however it does fit within the logic Ohtsuka applied to his approach. In this evidence lies in the fact his understanding of kata came from his jujutsu heritage, not from an understanding of the Okinawan approach. Okinawan Kata come from the Chinese tradition of forms, a tradition driven by application based practice.
Actually you are totally off on this one. And yes it does come from Chinese martial arts and it has nothing to do with a foot sweep. Foot sweep is an elementary school explanation/rationalization of a very sophisticated movement coming from Chinese martial arts that teaches the principles of grounding. Got to go to work so I will stop here but Otsuka Sensei was one of the few people who recognized Naihanchi for what it truly was and when I see other styles do Naihanchi I can see that they truly missed the mark. He understood because Shindo Yoshin ryu has similar kata that emphasizes those very principles. Nairiki no gyo (Inner strength kata)

Naihanchi done correctly teaches you how to use your body, how to connect to your opponent, how to generate power and is a training method to access that at the highest level. Watching Motobu do it, watching Otsuka do it if you know what to look for then you can see it. Every advanced martial art has something like this that teaches you these higher principles. Imagine being rooted with your energy flowing thru you from head to toe. Then to lift one leg up without shifting your center but not relying on a subtle weight shift but instead relying on just grounding....letting the energy flow to the ground. That is what Otsuka Sensei is talking about. The translation in the book is lousy but that is exactly what he means without going into too much detail.

Late for work....
Bob Nash
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

There is a lot going on in the thread now, lots of good stuff, that may be worthy of splitting out into their own threads. I will keep monitoring.

Also, keep thinking on the original reasons for the thread.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Wado heretic wrote:I am aware Mr Abernathy no longer claims to teach Wado Ryu; however the kata he works from do come from Wado Ryu, or so I last checked. Unless he's gone the Patrick McCarthy way of collecting any kata with the word Koshiki in it or ones that seem to be unique to Okinawa. That is what I was working from when making that point.
Yes, he shows the hollow form of Wado kata when examined in pose by pose but nothing about his inventions or performance has anything to do with Wado (if you get the chance watch what he makes of Seishan, it left me totally bewildered).

I suppose this is in a way what Ohtsuka Sensei did, BUT Ohtsuka was a martial arts genius who happened to be in very close contact with a lot of other authoritative key figures, a potent mix indeed and a long long way from the opportunities and aptitudes available to any of us, certainly a long way from Cumbria.

Tim
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

@Gusai: I agree, Naihanchi is principle driven and the core of all kata. I practice it 3-6 times a day because of it's importance.

I agree it teaches principles but at the same time I have to disagree in some respects, especially on Motobu. The 12 kumite exercises Motobu put in his book "Okinawan Kenpo Karate-Jutsu” are essentially applications or drills derived from the movements and principles with in Naihanchi. I still believe it is primarily application driven, as modern practice of it on Okinawa reflects this; although Aragaki Sensei also called it Shorin Ryu's Sanchin (not an exact qoute) so I am not entirely sure to be honest. My opinion at this point is it is both, the principles it teaches affect all kata, but it is still derived from applicable movements. I just don't see a balance test as being a sensible part of it's interpretation, but I can see how it could be used as one.

@Tim49: I'll concede his applications leave me nonplussed sometimes; but so do many. Especially when it comes to the pinan kata, I really don't think any post Itosu Kata have applications in them. As Chibana recalled in one of his texts (which one it was has escaped my memory) when he asked Itosu about applications to Kata, the elder karateka claimed not to know them. Yet, the Naha Te tradition has them, as can be seen both in it's current practice but also in books published by Mabuni Kenwa.

So it could be argued for Karate stemming from the Shuri tradtion that bunkai is a reconstruction, not the continuation of a living tradition. Perhaps why it's so bemusing, it's modern ideas being placed upon centuries old tradition. Where as in the Naha schools, it's a living tradition that has been passed down.

Undoubtably Ohtsuka was a martial arts genius and it still makes my head spin to hear that he trained alongside such people as Ueshiba and Mabuni on a daily basis as well as under such infamous people as Motobu. The syllabus he produced contains depths that I have only skimmed the surface of; yet, have to be careful not to idolise him or to ignore critical differences between Wado and other karate systems. It's too easy to fall into the comfort zone and excuse making simply because it's hard to admit something you love and commit a lot to might not be the end all. Yet, I have a lot left to learn and a lot left to get to the stage of good enough to move forward. So in time maybe my views might change.
R. Keith Williams
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Wado heretic wrote:@Gusai: I agree, Naihanchi is principle driven and the core of all kata. I practice it 3-6 times a day because of it's importance.

I agree it teaches principles but at the same time I have to disagree in some respects, especially on Motobu. The 12 kumite exercises Motobu put in his book "Okinawan Kenpo Karate-Jutsu” are essentially applications or drills derived from the movements and principles with in Naihanchi. I still believe it is primarily application driven, as modern practice of it on Okinawa reflects this; although Aragaki Sensei also called it Shorin Ryu's Sanchin (not an exact qoute) so I am not entirely sure to be honest. My opinion at this point is it is both, the principles it teaches affect all kata, but it is still derived from applicable movements. I just don't see a balance test as being a sensible part of it's interpretation, but I can see how it could be used as one.

@Tim49: I'll concede his applications leave me nonplussed sometimes; but so do many. Especially when it comes to the pinan kata, I really don't think any post Itosu Kata have applications in them. As Chibana recalled in one of his texts (which one it was has escaped my memory) when he asked Itosu about applications to Kata, the elder karateka claimed not to know them. Yet, the Naha Te tradition has them, as can be seen both in it's current practice but also in books published by Mabuni Kenwa.

So it could be argued for Karate stemming from the Shuri tradtion that bunkai is a reconstruction, not the continuation of a living tradition. Perhaps why it's so bemusing, it's modern ideas being placed upon centuries old tradition. Where as in the Naha schools, it's a living tradition that has been passed down.

Undoubtably Ohtsuka was a martial arts genius and it still makes my head spin to hear that he trained alongside such people as Ueshiba and Mabuni on a daily basis as well as under such infamous people as Motobu. The syllabus he produced contains depths that I have only skimmed the surface of; yet, have to be careful not to idolise him or to ignore critical differences between Wado and other karate systems. It's too easy to fall into the comfort zone and excuse making simply because it's hard to admit something you love and commit a lot to might not be the end all. Yet, I have a lot left to learn and a lot left to get to the stage of good enough to move forward. So in time maybe my views might change.
Hi Wado Heretic,
I agree with much of what you say but worry when you seem to shoot from the hip. (examples to come). But please be aware, none of us are lionising Ohtsuka Sensei out of some kind of blind loyalty. You run the risk of making the same mistake as Acer i.e. making assumptions. Many of us here have had experience outside of Wado, as well as questionable levels of life experience, I don’t think we are so blinkered as to think that our approach to Wado as it stands is the definitive be all and end all.

The pro Bunkai argument is all over the shop, I have trained with creditable people from the Naha-Te lineage and although they are wonderful martial artists they also exist in a cloud of confusion when it comes to Bunkai. The Okinawans have an unfortunate history, not of their own making, of lost material and competing lineages, rivalry and confusion, oh there is a core which is fairly solid but I can also understand why Ohtsuka Sensei was perhaps reluctant to go further down that path; afterall his Way was well established.

Back to shooting from the hip:
Ohtsuka Sensei did not train alongside Ueshiba and Mabuni Sensei on a daily basis. I think Ohtsuka and Ueshiba knew of each other but I would be amazed if ever they were in the same Dojo together, they were almost of a different generation. Mabuni was in Osaka if I recall, and Ohtsuka had access to him well after he was introduced to the Shuri-Te of Funakoshi, but how much time they actually spent in each other’s company cannot possibly have been very long, same with Motobu. Yes there was two way current, enough for Ohtsuka to assess what he needed from the various systems and translate it to his own ends, but things were a little more ad hoc than we in the West would assume. I think we are all guilty of looking at this rather complex interaction of individuals through Western goggles and imposing our own logic upon them, but the reality is far more complex.

Tim