Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?

Post by oneya »

acer wrote:
There just examples and not to take them literally but you don’t want to understand on purpose.Ok fine with me.If you think only the straight punches train...covers you then who m I to change your opinion?
I only wish you never find the truth in a bad way if you know what I mean...
Acer there is a difference between someone who will not understand and someone that cannot understand and I don’t think Tim is in either category but I fear that you may well be in both.

Many people here will tell you the study of wado ryu is a complex one in that, in part, it is a study of one’s self in the conundrum of life itself. It is also a study that is not for everyone because it takes a lifetime of study but through its training based on a few natural principles of movement it can lead towards the reality of self reliance and self determination in the face of conflict instead of wrestling with dead answers to ‘what if’ questions.

In the process it will also teach you to live a full life without fear so self defense is about as relevant to the study of wado ryu as whistling in the dark is to an evening’s performance of classical music.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Let's take Patrick McCarthy's HAPV theory http://www.irkrs-atlantic-canada.com/hapv.htm

He has many years of study in this aspect and many years of study in the world of martial arts. On a glance at the items on the linked page, I don't think I can dispute nor contribute anything extra. If someone wanted to add an approach to self defence then why not use that as the basis. Good luck to them.

As for talk on the syllabus, let me say that in our organisation we have had shin kicks, hooks and now uppercuts and knees in the renraku waza, flowing combinations. Great. Not much help without someone at the front to break it all down and act as an enabler for the students.

Should the syllabus have every technique that we might use? It can start getting really silly. Take kingeri by which I mean a kick to the groin with a flicking action rather than maegeri gedan. I "teach" that as well as a mawashigeri type variant. It would bloat out the syllabus.

Then based on the premise that you can't defend something you don't know, we would need some ippon kumite or such like to go with each one.

I can't entertain that as a syllabus approach. The freer role of instructors to explore with their students is already available.
acer

Post by acer »

Some people focus more on philosophy and less to train on realistic scenarios others focus first in the fighting aspect of the art that will guide to the ''philosophy'' later...Its an art but it’s a martial art a not tae-bo after all...
But who’s right and who’s wrong? Maybe both Maybe none..I choose the second approach I prefer my Wado has teeth...
Nothing more nothing less...
oneya

Post by oneya »

acer wrote:Some people focus more on philosophy and less to train on realistic scenarios others focus first in the fighting aspect of the art that will guide to the ''philosophy'' later...Its an art but it’s a martial art a not tae-bo after all...
But who’s right and who’s wrong? Maybe both Maybe none..I choose the second approach I prefer my Wado has teeth...
Nothing more nothing less...
All wado must focus on the fighting aspect and the fighting spirit is the most important of all but without the overarching philosophy it is just thuggery without balance. It is not one without the other neither is it 'either/or' but a balance between all the essential aspects of its total ethos.

It has occurred to me that you can always teach self defense and the answers to your own concerns to your own students Acer without having it down in the black and white of the syllabus, why not just do it.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

acer

Post by acer »

It has occurred to me that you can always teach self defense and the answers to your own concerns to your own students Acer without having it down in the black and white of the syllabus, why not just do it.?
It will be honest for the student that?They here to learn and train in Wado not something else right? Sprawl isn’t Wado. Low kicks with the shin isn’t either.Why lie to them? Yes you can add on your own many thinks but in the end of the day you will still practice and teach Wado?We have our own syllabus why name techniques from other styles as Wado?And if we must do that why then not add them official?
oneya

Post by oneya »

But who says "Sprawl isn’t Wado. Low kicks with the shin isn’t either" ?? As far as I am concerned everything that is presented in a conflict will come under the heading of wado because I only do wado ryu. For instance ashi barai kuzushi isn't taught, in the context of the syllabus, as grasping the opponent's hair first but it works if the opportunity is presented.. Groin kicks with the shin also work. If you don't teach them perhaps this is dishonest.. Or do you only stick to the syllabus in your teaching..?

oneya.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

acer

Post by acer »

But who says "Sprawl isn’t Wado. Low kicks with the shin isn’t either"
The syllabus!!!!That’s why I scream all this days to open our syllabus with adding few drills with those techniques!
We use it anyhow why not be official Wado?
As far as I am concerned everything that is presented in a conflict will come under the heading of wado because I only do wado ryu.

Again I m talking about the official syllabus!According to that this isn’t Wado! Again that’s why I said to open our syllabus and make them official!It’s a good way to learn how this moves done correctly (analyze them) and not imagine how they must work...

If you don't teach them perhaps this is dishonest

The right thing is to teach them BUT to clarified that this isn’t in official material /syllabus of our style but in others yes...

Or do you only stick to the syllabus in your teaching..?
Of course not but I say what is from where...Kihons in other styles but not our Kihons.I don’t name them all ''Wado''

My opinion is that we need to add them in official syllabus...
In that way all the instructors will train in the correct way of body mechanics and how to use or defend against them.
To see videos on youtube or even taking 1-2 seminars from other arts,not learn them correctly and then teach them in your school and call it ''Wado'' for me its wrong and not honest.You use it anyway why not doing right?Add them and make it officialy.So simple!
Of course not use them,train only against straight punches and believing you can easily apply all the principles against attacks that never use in your daily training its not only wrong but out of reality
oneya

Post by oneya »

What syllabus is this Acer.? We have the three main organisations represented here and I have seen a syllabus from each of them over the years - We also have a number of members who do not belong to any of these three organisations for whatever reasons - and I can't remember these low kicks as being labeled not wado techniques..?? So what syllabus are you talking about.?

oneya.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

acer

Post by acer »

What syllabus is this Acer.? We have the three main organisations represented here and I have seen a syllabus from each of them over the years - We also have a number of members who do not belong to any of these three organisations for whatever reasons - and I can't remember these low kicks as being labeled not wado techniques..?? So what syllabus are you talking about.?
Kihon,Ren Raku waza,Sanbon Kumite,Ohyo Kumite,Kihon Kumite.Tanto Dori,Idori,Tachi Dori,Kata..Thats the syllabus.So imagine drills just like Kihon Kumite but with attacks not ONLY tobikomi tsuki/gyaku tsuki but hook punches,takedowns,low kicks.With that the student could study and analyzed (how they work,what is the right distance to execute and to defend against them) other type of attacks too, open his mind and make him better and more realistic practitioner.
shep

Post by shep »

acer - the variables in a real life confrontation are almost infinite and as such is impossible to 'drill' to accomodate what might or might not happen. You need to open up and wise up to what forum members are telling you, they are after all very experienced wadoka. Like Tim, I'm not going to lose sleep over whether or not I'm prepared for a hook punch. If i'm unlucky enough to have it happen to me again I'm sure I will deal with it just like the last 20 times ;-)

You really need to speak with your sensei if you feel short changed in your Wado.

At the risk going round in circles I'm going to withdraw from the thread.

shep