Jo in wado?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
mezusmo

Jo in wado?

Post by mezusmo »

Hi

Does the jo exist in the wado syllabus or in exploration?.the jo is a wonderful tool as used in many japense arts.but i dont see it used in wado?
is it that the wado principles allow for the same "take" whether it be a jo ,tanto etc,in using principles intelligently so it can be applied?
i know of at least one particular sensei that practices jo-do and sword as well as wado,so its just a thought

Thanks
Mezusmo
Martin Duffy
karateman7

Re: Jo in wado?

Post by karateman7 »

In an aikido class I took, the jo was used to help understand angles. Maybe the real question is how do wado instructors teach angles?
Sergio Phillipe
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

I can think of a number of Wado senior grades who supplement their training with weapons training, but interesting it is seldom from the Okinawan arsenal. Mostly they practice the disciplines associated with Japanese Budo/Bujutsu. This is hardly surprising as I think we all aknowledge Wado as a Budo system, albeit of recent origin.

How many of them bring these practices into their Wado Dojo I don’t know. If they do I don’t know how they can find the time, as the demands of ordinary Wado training seem to be so huge.

Don’t mean that as a criticism.

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

My sensei holds a Dan grade in kobudo. But he never brings it into the dojo. The only exception I can remember was on a course when he demonstrated Bo and Sai during a lunch break and on another occasion we had a visit from an Aikido instructor who brought a Bo or Jo along to demonstrate a kata he does and my sensei demonstrated one of his to compare.
It doesnt interest me enough to learn weapons (with the exception of sword arts).

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

I once spent a week-end at a weapons training session with Motokatsu Inoue during a period when a fella called Julian Mead was studying with him. Inoue sensei was amazing and it was enlightening to see him blend the ages by wearing tabi and wrist watch while swinging a Bo and then a Sai kata. The weapons we week-end warriors fumbled with were also the Bo and Sai and my admiration for Inoue kept rising the more we fumbled. My lasting impressions were that the Bo kept me too far away from the opponent where I needed to be if I was going to be able and the Sai filled my hands and removed any ability I thought I had. It was interesting but weapons suggest a different frame of mind and reference to me.

On the other hand, I feel training with a bokuto can help in understanding wado posture.

The beauty of wado is that it is timeless and everything one needs to practice is already present and the world is your dojo.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
mezusmo

Post by mezusmo »

Cheers for the replies :)
Mezusmo
Martin Duffy